Be afraid, be very afraid......

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Be afraid, be very afraid......

Post by White Duck » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am

That list of Hughes's signing is mainly horrific: the only good ones were Cisse, Nelsen, Taiwo, Green and I'd put Zamora in just for THE goal.

Terrible manager, terrible signings, way worse than Redknapp in all aspects for me.
Lex Talionis........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed May 16, 2018 8:15 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 am
I, along with others, thought it was a good signing and the quality, if not the temperament, of some of his signings were beyond reproach.
Djibril Cisse - (£4m - £60,000-per-week)
Bobby Zamora - (£6m - £70,000-per-week)
Samba Diakite - (£3.5m - £45,000-per-week)
Federico Macheda (loan)
Djibril Cisse
Taye Taiwo (loan)
Andy Johnson - (Free - £40,000-per-week)
Ryan Nelsen - (Free - £35,000-per-week)
Stephane Mbia - (£5m - 50,000-per-week)
Robert Green - (Free - £50,000-per-week)
Park Ji-sung - (£2m - £70,000-per-week)
Junior Hoilett - (£4m - £50,000-per-week)
Esteban Granero - (£3.5m - £65,000-per-week)
Julio Cesar - (Free - £75,000-per-week)
Fabio (Loan)

Only really two complete failures in that list and even when 'arry tookover he made a few good signings with Samba being the outstanding failure for us.
HARRY REDKNAPP SIGNINGS
Loic Remy (£8m - £80,000-per-week)
Chris Samba (£12m - £100,000-per-week)
Jermaine Jenas (Undisclosed - £40,000-per-week)
Andros Townsend (Loan)

One of the biggest problems was the unrest in the dressing room which led to Mackie & Derry being shipped out (Carl Serrant info) coupled with the legacy of Warnock leaving dressing room discipline up to the players (Barton & Hill apparently) which led to a lot of resentment and cliques forming and became most publically known after Zamoras comments about he would rather be fishing than playing football.
This, more than anything else is what Hughes should have addressed but he never was, and still isn't, a hands on manager, he leaves that to others. His failure to build a good set of players into a cohesive and combative unit is what led to his downfall as, without it, QPR could have been ticking along at the middle to bottom of the EPL for a few years. IMO.
Don't forget Bosingwa and his twenty minutes at Bolton. :wink:

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by arrystottle » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 am

If it was a choice between The Wally with the Brolly and "dodgy " Harry then give me Harry any day , McClaren has had a fantastic career in football all based on being Fergies sidekick and has failed so often when given a job that my blood runs cold at the thought of him returning to Q.P.R,

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Wed May 16, 2018 9:06 am

I think the thing that shines through that impressive list is just how crap they all were. ( Nelsen apart )

If they were old, they were over the top and past their best, if they were young they were flawed in some other way ( Barton / Mbia ) either way, despite all that football know-how the net result was a load of crap.

How much different that could have been if the policy was to go for youth and only say buy players under 28? Harry will always argue "he's a great player" but there's a limit to how long someone is going to stay a great player.

Ask Birmingham

I think Harry's demise was his history caught up with him and there's only so long you can keep playing the same trick. If your looking for proper managers, start with Neil Warnock who turns much of Harry's premise on its head, .....you can win with average players.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Wed May 16, 2018 9:13 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 am
One of the biggest problems was the unrest in the dressing room which led to Mackie & Derry being shipped out (Carl Serrant info) coupled with the legacy of Warnock leaving dressing room discipline up to the players (Barton & Hill apparently) which led to a lot of resentment and cliques forming and became most publically known after Zamoras comments about he would rather be fishing than playing football.
This, more than anything else is what Hughes should have addressed but he never was, and still isn't, a hands on manager, he leaves that to others. His failure to build a good set of players into a cohesive and combative unit is what led to his downfall as, without it, QPR could have been ticking along at the middle to bottom of the EPL for a few years. IMO.
Would be interesting to know WHEN our former fitness coach Carl Serrant was happily dishing the dirt and gossiping about the dressing room: he was obviously still employed by the club at the time so it strikes me as totally unprofessional of him to talk to a supporter about such things.

I would take it all with a pinch of salt though as he obviously would have had favourite managers and players and would therefore spin anything to suit his own agenda. Most fans would trust the evidence of their own eyes and in no way doubt the commitment to the club of Hill, Derry and Mackie over that of Hughes or one of his back room lackeys.

To imply that Hughes failed mainly due to his inability to build a team from the 'quality' signings he made for us with the disruptive players already at the club is ridiculous: he shipped out a number of players because he had bought 'better' (Kia approved) players to replace them and your list shows just how poor his judgement was in the main. The players he inherited were the main reason we stayed up that first year: he totally destroyed the squad the following summer and failed to win any of the first 12 games in the new season before getting deservedly sacked.
Lex Talionis........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 pm

White Duck wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am
That list of Hughes's signing is mainly horrific: the only good ones were Cisse, Nelsen, Taiwo, Green and I'd put Zamora in just for THE goal.

Terrible manager, terrible signings, way worse than Redknapp in all aspects for me.
IMO Diakité was a trick missed, I know he had family killed in the war in Mali and that definitely affected him but there were times he looked as good as Patrick Viera and,IMO, with the right manager we could have seen a lot more of that. Similar with Granero, he had that one game against Chelsea alongside Ale and he looked a real class act. The dressing did for a lot of those players then, they weren't bad players, they were just in the wrong team.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed May 16, 2018 1:09 pm

White Duck wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:13 am
Would be interesting to know WHEN our former fitness coach Carl Serrant was happily dishing the dirt and gossiping about the dressing room: he was obviously still employed by the club at the time so it strikes me as totally unprofessional of him to talk to a supporter about such things.

I would take it all with a pinch of salt though as he obviously would have had favourite managers and players and would therefore spin anything to suit his own agenda. Most fans would trust the evidence of their own eyes and in no way doubt the commitment to the club of Hill, Derry and Mackie over that of Hughes or one of his back room lackeys.

To imply that Hughes failed mainly due to his inability to build a team from the 'quality' signings he made for us with the disruptive players already at the club is ridiculous: he shipped out a number of players because he had bought 'better' (Kia approved) players to replace them and your list shows just how poor his judgement was in the main. The players he inherited were the main reason we stayed up that first year: he totally destroyed the squad the following summer and failed to win any of the first 12 games in the new season before getting deservedly sacked.
This would have to be another one of those conversations by "Dave's Wall" but to be clear, it wasn't the commitment to the club that caused the problem, that is never in doubt.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.