I may be stating the bleedin' obvious but...

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

I may be stating the bleedin' obvious but...

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 am

I just took a look at the Premiership table before the last games of the season today and all but the top 6 teams have a negative goal difference. The PL aren't even trying to pretend it is an even handed competition any more; it's just a vehicle for the top clubs to fill their coffers to the detriment of all others.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: I may be stating the bleedin' obvious but...

Post by 222gers » Sun May 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Wenger forecast last week that a Euro Super League is just a few years away. Matches would be on weekends with what's left of the Prem playing midweek. Makes the Championship sound very attractive.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 pm

You say it favours the big boys yet the TV money is spread evenly between all 20 clubs.

Not like Spain where i believe Barca & Madrid negotiate there own tv rights separately to the rest of the league.

The next big thing to happen will be the top six demanding more tv money than the rest of the league, then the sh*t will hit the fan.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun May 13, 2018 10:17 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 pm
You say it favours the big boys yet the TV money is spread evenly between all 20 clubs.

Not like Spain where i believe Barca & Madrid negotiate there own tv rights separately to the rest of the league.

The next big thing to happen will be the top six demanding more tv money than the rest of the league, then the sh*t will hit the fan.
Not sure about being split evenly. Some teams are on tv more often so I believe get extra. Then there is the ”talent money”. The higher you finish the higher such payment is. Not sure if TV companies contribute to the talent money though. Whatever, the top six receive considerably more than those lower down. I can't be bothered to check the exact figures but it's something like that.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon May 14, 2018 6:45 am

It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Mon May 14, 2018 8:09 am

Yeah every place is worth 2m ish, so do a Burnley and you’ll be up there with the big boys prize money.

7th-20th is anybody’s game.

I’m talking TV money, it’s split evenly trust me!

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Its not just those outside the top six that are also-rans.

I actually think 2 or 3 clubs in the top six flatter to deceive and would be some margin away from Barca and Real Madrid in La Liga.

Tottenham have been playing poorly recently and Man U and Chelsea only play in fits and starts. The World Cup will show up how poor we are tactically,
Come on you Sooopa ........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon May 14, 2018 5:35 pm

old pauline wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 pm
Its not just those outside the top six that are also-rans.

I actually think 2 or 3 clubs in the top six flatter to deceive and would be some margin away from Barca and Real Madrid in La Liga.

Tottenham have been playing poorly recently and Man U and Chelsea only play in fits and starts. The World Cup will show up how poor we are tactically,
True. Some big gaps between clubs at the top too. 19 between first and second, 5 between fourth and fifth, 7 between fifth and sixth and 9 between sixth and seventh. I haven't checked but I think it's normally closer than that.

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by whittonhoop » Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 am

There is a chunk of cash spread evenly, then prize money on finishing position and then money per game on TV.

As a result the bigger clubs get more as they are on TV more, spend more on players and this finish higher in the league (generally, though there will always be exceptions eg Leicester).

The difference between Europe is that the Premier Leagues cash for the clubs is:

A) huge, miles bigger than the other leagues
B) spread more evenly, the curve from top to bottom is far more shallow

Once you go past the top two or three clubs in Spain, Germany for example, all the smaller ranking teams in the Prem earn more £.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat May 19, 2018 2:07 am

westlondonlalala wrote:

Liverpool have more or less kept live TV football going the past few seasons as they are so entertaining to watch. You wouldn't blame them for asking.

I am getting close to cancelling my Sky subscription, the thrill has gone. Also as I get older I am more likely to nod off in front of the TV. :shock:

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun May 20, 2018 9:04 am

Rbee wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:07 am
westlondonlalala wrote:

Liverpool have more or less kept live TV football going the past few seasons as they are so entertaining to watch. You wouldn't blame them for asking.

I am getting close to cancelling my Sky subscription, the thrill has gone. Also as I get older I am more likely to nod off in front of the TV. :shock:
aniclap

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 am

Rbee wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:07 am
westlondonlalala wrote:

I've never had Sky and never will. It gives me an air of cleanliness and superiority. :wink:

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Thu May 31, 2018 12:28 pm

222gers wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 am
I've never had Sky and never will. It gives me an air of cleanliness and superiority. :wink:
But is also means you miss the cricket. And that is simply unthinkable.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm

Don wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:28 pm
222gers wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 am
But is also means you miss the cricket. And that is simply unthinkable.
Yes, I do miss the cricket although I saw some Sky coverage of a Test in a pub a few years ago and it was unbearably bad. It may have improved. I wonder if the BBC will get it back soon ? I certainly hope so.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu May 31, 2018 3:04 pm

To continue, I've just seen an article online which shows a Sky poll clearly indicating a dwindling audience for Test cricket. Perhaps the good old Beeb will get it back soon.....