Wishy washy

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Wishy washy

Post by dm » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:59 pm

I don't like to moan about a player but I really have had it with Washington. We had 22 shots on goal today against a poor team that spent most of a half down to 10 men. Washington failed to contribute a single shot.

He's having less and less impact on a game as the season progresses. As the striker wearing our no 9 shirt he had zero impact today. He's the most wishy washy striker we've had for a very long time. For his own sake and ours he should move on in the summer.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Wishy washy

Post by 222gers » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:04 pm

I agree......top marks for workrate and he does a little trick occasionally of bringing down a high ball and turning a defender in one fell swoop, but he really hasn't got what it takes at this level. His worst problem I feel is no sense of positioning. Shame really.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Chatting after the game with the usual suspects and I likened the tactic of starting with Washington and Smith as goalscorers is akin to trying to start a barbecue with ice cubes; you know they are useful for something but it's not that. Smith did use hs strength to make sure that the second goal went in but it was more down to a sublime bit of work with the ball and a good cross from Smyth that we scored. Smith missed as many chances as Conor didn't have and was generally shackled by Beevers and the headers he did win generally went to the opposition for seconds.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Northolt_Rs
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Northolt_Rs » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm

But Smith scored....that’s the difference.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Smith is our best option as things stand. He can only do one thing but he has 3/4/5 chances a game and scores more often than anyone else.

Patch
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Patch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:18 pm

Smith did well for his assist as well

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Northolt_Rs wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm
nailonhead In fairness CW did score last week - but I don't think he is ever going to be good enough. Hope we don't start next season with him or Smith TBH.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm

..yes....headless chicken today, doing nothing....with Smyth providing speed and good crosses to Smith we are surely more dangerous...
and even Eze looks better than CW....

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:38 am

Damien wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 pm
Northolt_Rs wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm
nailonhead In fairness CW did score last week - but I don't think he is ever going to be good enough. Hope we don't start next season with him or Smith TBH.
Not sure why youd want Smith out of the club. He does offer an aerial outlet whereas CW offers nothing. Smith is a goid squad striker to have - surely?

QPR1976
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Not sure he said that. He just suggested he hoped Smith doesn’t start games and is used possibly as an impact sub.
I would hope we’ll have better options up front next season.

I’ve a hunch Smyth is a better option to Conor, but he’s young & just back from injury, so I understand why he didn’t start.

The Summer could well see us lose 3 strikers in Mackie, Washington & Sylla (4 including JET), so we’ll need to bring in at least 2 to go with Smith & Eze

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Eze seems like more of a midfielder to me

QPR1976
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:31 pm

You could be right, I think I meant (but didn’t type) Oteh !
I’d also forgotten Wheeler, but like most, due to his lack of appearances, I’m not sure of his best or actual position !!

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Without JET we have eight forwards listed in the squad. Im sure conor will leave and perhaps ee'll get marriott to replace him but cant see Sylla and Makie being replaced with the squad numbers we have. The young guns will be thrown in and perhaps a loan if they cant find the net. If Freeman and Louongo leave will they be replaced when we have Manning and Goss? I think there'll be a lot leaving in the summer with only half as many joining.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Yep, I completely agree.

Smythe offers a lot more based on the limited amount I’ve seen of him so far.

Washington gives pace and work-rate with no end product. I think we’ll try to offload him this summer.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

QPR1976
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR1976 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:06 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:40 pm
Without JET we have eight forwards listed in the squad. Im sure conor will leave and perhaps ee'll get marriott to replace him but cant see Sylla and Makie being replaced with the squad numbers we have. The young guns will be thrown in and perhaps a loan if they cant find the net. If Freeman and Louongo leave will they be replaced when we have Manning and Goss? I think there'll be a lot leaving in the summer with only half as many joining.

My thoughts were based on Mackie being past it BEFORE his current serious injury and being out of contract. And that Holloway doesn’t seem to like Sylla.
There’s also a chance of getting a fee from both Sylla & Washington which will help in recruiting.
But I agree, we’ll likely see more out than in, but that will be balanced with Bright-Samuel, Smyth, Eze, Oteh & Chair all continuing to play more prominent roles.
It may not be half as we made great strides in offloading in January with 9 or 10 leaving