Derry

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

QPR1976
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Derry

Post by QPR1976 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Does anyone really believe Ainsworth or Derry or Clint lie awake at night thinking ‘I wish I could be QPR manager, they are my team and no one else matters to me’?

It’s delusional to think they care as much about us as we might do about them.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:13 am

We've already got at least three nostaglic appointments and none of them are doing particularly well. This badge beating stuff isn't working for us, so let's look elsewhere for appointments in future.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am

Here is why I like Derry above all other ex-Players, except perhaps Nelsen.
I) He understands the game of football-properly
Ii) He is articulate and considered
Iii) He has a bit of life about him and was a bit of a joker on the training ground and very enthusiastic
Iv) He seemed to be well respected by players, fans and management alike

He is one of the very few ex-footballers with most of the attributes to make a decent manager. In a word, balanced.
I have little idea of his coaching abilities and from reports he's not started well as a manager, however give me Derry over the likes of Holloway, Ferdinand, Bircham, Hill and Ainsworth.

Can't see why he would have a particular allegiance to the R's though.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:55 am

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am
Here is why I like Derry above all other ex-Players, except perhaps Nelsen.
I) He understands the game of football-properly
Ii) He is articulate and considered
Iii) He has a bit of life about him and was a bit of a joker on the training ground and very enthusiastic
Iv) He seemed to be well respected by players, fans and management alike

He is one of the very few ex-footballers with most of the attributes to make a decent manager. In a word, balanced.
I have little idea of his coaching abilities and from reports he's not started well as a manager, however give me Derry over the likes of Holloway, Ferdinand, Bircham, Hill and Ainsworth.

Can't see why he would have a particular allegiance to the R's though.
Why Clint?

I personally hold him in very high regard & would go as far as to say he’s a true Qpr legend who exemplified many of the attributes you associated with Derry.

StevenageRanger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by StevenageRanger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:41 pm

QPR1976 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 pm
Does anyone really believe Ainsworth or Derry or Clint lie awake at night thinking ‘I wish I could be QPR manager, they are my team and no one else matters to me’?

I was just about to post something similar!

Yes they cared when they were here and rightly so, that was there job!

I'm sure they would speak fondly about their time here but they are not 'fans' . They may look out for our results just like I used too for Sunday morning teams I played for after I moved on!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:34 pm

QPR1976 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Probably not but I also don’t think any of them will get a chance to manage at championship level anytime soon & would probably bite your hand off to take the hot seat at a former club where the fans hold them in high regard.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Apparently scored for Oxford Utd tonight away in Ireland on pre season.

Up the Dezza 40yrs young

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Northolt_Rs wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 am
This. We’ve got to move away from the lazy ‘ex-player/right sort’ approach with its entirely predictable pisspoor result and move to a professional business-like model where we scale the globe for the best candidates for ANY role at the club. If the mighty Huddersfield can do this surely Fernandes can too....at last?
Ugh! I'm not saying sentimentality is everything, but football isn't a 'business', 'industry' or money machine - unless your name is Lee Hoos or Ian Taylor. It's a game played with the heart, spirit and soul. The players and managers we've loved at QPR down the years (Stanley, Ollie, Alan McDonald, Wild Thing et al.) have understood this and embraced it.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 pm
Northolt_Rs wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 am
This. We’ve got to move away from the lazy ‘ex-player/right sort’ approach with its entirely predictable pisspoor result and move to a professional business-like model where we scale the globe for the best candidates for ANY role at the club. If the mighty Huddersfield can do this surely Fernandes can too....at last?
Ugh! I'm not saying sentimentality is everything, but football isn't a 'business', 'industry' or money machine - unless your name is Lee Hoos or Ian Taylor. It's a game played with the heart, spirit and soul. The players and managers we've loved at QPR down the years (Stanley, Ollie, Alan McDonald, Wild Thing et al.) have understood this and embraced it.
But that comes from us and like it or not, appointing shit managers and running the club into the ground financially won't bring back the spirit we're all seeking, far from it. The best atmospheres i can remember where when we were gunning for promotion or giving City a run for their money under the flood lights. None of us support this club for the glory and i suspect most of us view the clubs general misfortunes as part of our own identities but we should still want to at least aspire to success.

I've never walked away from a loss thinking, "at least the management team have got a few hundred appearances between then".

Oddly you seem so disklike the forever R's club, yet surely that embodies the spirit you speak of? It's almost as if you'll take any negative position you can. I know personally i'm a QPR fan, get me results on the pitch, without bankrupting us, ideally whilst playing good football and i'll be more than happy.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:35 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Ugh! I'm not saying sentimentality is everything, but football isn't a 'business', 'industry' or money machine - unless your name is Lee Hoos or Ian Taylor.
Yeah, just those guys. You don't see any other club treating football as a business.

If I were Lee Hoos, I think I'd be sleeping with one eye open at this point.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:54 pm

I was talking about QPR! As for me, I sleep with my third eye open. :wink:
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Satch
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:41 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:35 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Ugh! I'm not saying sentimentality is everything, but football isn't a 'business', 'industry' or money machine - unless your name is Lee Hoos or Ian Taylor.
Yeah, just those guys. You don't see any other club treating football as a business.

If I were Lee Hoos, I think I'd be sleeping with one eye open at this point.
I'm not sure Lee Hoos is treating it as a business, rather just trying to keep it afloat tbh.