Bristol City fan in peace with all the local info for Saturday week

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

infoman

Bristol City fan in peace with all the local info for Saturday week

Post by infoman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:06 am

IMPORTANT Please buy your tickets in advance.
Coming by road.
Do NOT USE M4/M32 route and don't try to negotiate the roads and streets of Bristol
YOU WILL GET LOST
If you are coming by road use M4/M5 southbound to junction 18(Avonmouth) then follow signs A4 Bristol airport
It looks the long way round but its quicker.
Parking is normally in the streets around the area as long as you are there by 1pm please don't block drive ways or park on corners.
If you are coming by train there is a local train service to PARSON STREET from Bristol Temple Meads
at 12:25 13:25 13:56 and 14:25
Good train times as most trains from the North or from the London direction arrive at quarter to the hour or quarter past the hour
it takes you two thirds of the way to the ground and walk the rest of the way return by train to Bristol T.M. is at 17:37pm.
You will pass Sainsburys on the left with restaurant,Robins pub again on your left hand side
When you approach the ground I suggest you walk past wickes using the pavement
as the concourse area behind the big new stand gets very congested with bodies
Please make sure you get your train ticket showing PARSON STREET
We are trying to promote PARSON STREET for football fans till Ashton gate halt comes on line.
Split train tickets are available to Bristol from the London area.
If there are at least three of you get a taxi
Make sure the taxi driver drops you in the Ashton Road end as it a very long walk round from the other end
or use the brown buses from the bottom of the incline of the station.
Which depart approximate 13:55pm with returns just after the match finishes
On your return to London or the North the trains leave Bristol Temple Meads at 17:30pm and I think you will struggle to get back to Bristol Temple meads for 17:30pm
Casualty and Holby City were filmed in the City don't ask me about either of the programmes cos I think their both rubbish
The young ones was also filmed in the BS7 area of the City(actually its Bishopston)
Finally the block of flats on the left behind the dolman stand side as you are in the away end is "the" block of flats in "fools and horses"
Bring your camera and turn up early if you want to take any photo's
Pubs possibly best one are in the cumberland road basin area novia scotia pump house and the cottage.
Buy your match day programme before you enter the away end.
BBC Radio station is radio Bristol which has frequencies and 94:9 and DAB (and 95:5 up till 3pm),
and the match commentary will be on BBC radio Bristol DAB.
Pubs: best ones are along the Cumberland Roads area,suggest park your car and then walk to the ground.
In season 2016/17 1,667 QPR visited Ashton gate and in 2015/16 1,337 QPR fans visited Ashton Gate

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Bristol City fan in peace with all the local info for Saturday week

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:29 am

Infoman - worst superhero ever.

Cheers for all that though, very public-spirited of you. Hopefully your lads will have spent the previous 48 hours or so celebrating a famous cup victory, and we can take advantage of their tired and emotional state.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:04 pm

We need all the help we can get !

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:58 pm

It's been years since I lived in Bristol but I still recall the pubs.
The Pump House used to be reasonable, and the food at the cottage was ok.. Both with reasonable walking distance to Ashton Gate.
A bit further away, On and around Hotwells there was a biker pub (probably 30+ min stroll to the ground) was ok. Behind that in Cliftonwood was a proper little boozer called The Lion. Tricky to find but worth it in my view.
A bit further still about half way up Jacob Wells road was The Hope &Anchor. Worth a visit.
Back closer to the Pump House was the Adam &Eve. Again a proper boozer. Can't remember on which road though.
On the times I went to Ashton Gate I'd start late morning with a beer in The Hatchet, just behind the Hippodrome and do a crawl down Hotwells. There were quite a few drinking holes on way to the ground. Would usu ally finish at the Pump House then about 15 mins to ground from there.
Not sure of the pubs more local to the ground but did live one year in Southville/Bedminster. .. Wouldn't jump at the chance of recommending any pub there.

Plenty of places to go after the match if you are staying over. I would often frequent the Highbury Vaults and then work my way down the hill (St. Michaels) to the city centre stopping at the Smiles Brewery then on past the city centre pubs to the ones in Welsh Back, Kings Street.

Oh to be a student again.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm

The Pump House and The Cottage are nice because they're by the water, but otherwise they're usually over crowded.

Spent quite a bit of time at the hatchet, but it's a wee way from Ashton Gate.

There's the Grain Barge on Hotwells Rd that's a bit more quiet and still within walking distance of Ashton Gate. Plus it's a pub on a boat which is a nice novelty.

The Spotted Cow on North street in Southville is ace, real close to Ashton gate and has a nice outdoor area (although it is winter). There's also the Hen and Chicken on the same strip. Both might be full of city fans though.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Was every Rangers fan who lived in Bristol so traumatised that they had to move to a different continent ?

I blame the Wurzels :evil:
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:48 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 pm
Was every Rangers fan who lived in Bristol so traumatised that they had to move to a different continent ?

I blame the Wurzels :evil:
I spent 7 years in Bristol and had a great time. It's a brilliant place to live. Well better than Acton (from whence I came).

That said, and I lived and worked on four continents, I'm staying here in Joburg. Weather is great and it's becoming more cosmopolitan.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:58 am

I've never lived in Brizzle, so I'm not quite sure as to my excuse? :wink:
Question everything.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:44 pm

...thank you...and please add some suggestion for our players on how to find the way to your net...!!! :twisted: :mrgreen: