Shooting

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

Shooting

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Not for the first time we had more shots on goal than the visitors, less on target and lost the game.

I don't know what happens in training, but clearly shooting is a priority, as all too often we put the ball wide or over the top when in a good positions.

My solution would be cheap and easy.

When I was at school (a long time ago) we had a games teacher (Mr Latimer) who said:

"The goal is 8 yards (24 feet) and 8 feet high. That is 244 square feet to aim at. The best chance of scoring is to shoot for the top or bottom corners - this is where you stand the best chance of scoring as the goalkeeper has the furthest to travel to keep the ball out."

That all makes perfect sense, and the logic can't be argued with.

What our games teacher did was to tie four plastic hulahoops into the corners. They had a diameter of approximately 3 feet. Suddenly we had something to aim at, and low and behold our school football team started to score more goals.

Simple but effective!

The same principal applies with the flies in the urinals at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport. They were having big issues with men peeing on the floor or splashing outside the urinal. Some genius incorporated a picture of a fly into the porcelain. This gave guys something to aim at, and suddenly - considerably less mess on the floors.

Sometimes it's the little things that make the difference.

As far as I remember Mr Latimer did not have a UEFA coaching badge, but then sometimes I guess you don't need one.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Shooting

Post by T-Block » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Yes ,at last a good point well made.

I believe this theory is still suggested on youth football-make the accuracy hard in training ,make it second nature, then they will unconsciously do it in a game

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Zenith with respect we're not talking about teaching a cat how to use a litter tray or child use a potty.

They're professional footballers that have been coached From childhood & earn thousands every week.

Now I like the sound of Mr Latimer & his theory but if our lot can't hit the target by now after playing football they're whole life then I think we are fecked!!

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Austin = natural finisher, weather it be on a park pitch or Wembley infront of 90 or 90,000 people.

Washington & alike = need 6 chances to score 1.

A natural finisher has either got it or he hasn't, prime example Defoe, does it yesterday for Bournemouth but guess what he done it 18yrs ago for the cherrys aswell, he had it from day1.

Washington for all the training drills and hard work in the world will never be a natural finisher, you can't teach it, You can improve your shooting but you'll never be a cool calm natural goalscorer.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:43 pm

When I was at school (a long time ago) we had a games teacher (Mr Latimer) who said:

"The goal is 8 yards (24 feet) and 8 feet high. That is 244 square feet to aim at. The best chance of scoring is to shoot for the top or bottom corners - this is where you stand the best chance of scoring as the goalkeeper has the furthest to travel to keep the ball out."

I take it Mr Latimer was not the maths teacher😀

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Simply hitting the target is a good start just like Grant Hall yesterday!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:56 pm

When the teams are “kicking in” before the game starts you see them hitting 30 yard screamers on the volley that fly into the net. Once the game is under way they hit it feebly straight at the keeper or balloon it high and wide. Clearly, they are gripped by fear and lack of confidence.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:26 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:59 pm
Zenith with respect we're not talking about teaching a cat how to use a litter tray or child use a potty.

They're professional footballers that have been coached From childhood & earn thousands every week.

Now I like the sound of Mr Latimer & his theory but if our lot can't hit the target by now after playing football they're whole life then I think we are fecked!!
Proof of the pudding ... Check out the BBC stats for every game we have played this season. The text says many times over so and so (insert Luongo, Scowen, Washington, Sylla, Smith etc etc.) shot - "it's close but just missed".

We are not talking about hitting row Z here, we are talking often - just inches. We the fans, the players and the coaching staff can take your attitude and slide down the table, or we can look at the stats and say: "We can do something about this."

As for your comment about potty training ... Andy Cole talked about muscle memory and practicing things in training over and over so they are more likely to happen on match day. Say what you like about Andy Cole but he did score an awful lot of goals, many of them in the Premier League (187 - third on the all time scoring list).
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:42 pm

He had a fantastic career and record 1 in 2.2 in the premier league & he didn't look the most natural infront of goal.

We have been accustom to a few natural finishers over the years, The current three will never be natural finishers although in there own funny kinda way Smith & Sylla manage to find a way to goal, as for Washington he could play with a size1 & still miss the target.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:54 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:42 pm
He had a fantastic career and record 1 in 2.2 in the premier league & he didn't look the most natural infront of goal.

We have been accustom to a few natural finishers over the years, The current three will never be natural finishers although in there own funny kinda way Smith & Sylla manage to find a way to goal, as for Washington he could play with a size1 & still miss the target.

Isn't that where we are at with our current crop? If it worked for Andy Cole ...

As for being accustomed to natural finishers? Charlie Austin stands out, but you have to go back a while before you find anyone who falls into that category.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:56 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:54 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:

Accustomed to natural finishers?

Charlie Austin stands out, but you have to go back a while before you find anyone who falls into that category.
Spencer & Thomson stand out

Thomson 28 in 44
Spencer 22 in 47

Anytime either had a chance to score it was tucked away with ease.
Last edited by westlondonlalala on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:56 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:56 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:54 pm
westlondonlalala wrote:

Accustomed to natural finishers?

Charlie Austin stands out, but you have to go back a while before you find anyone who falls into that category.
Spencer & Thomson stand out
That was a long time ago.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:59 pm

I said over the years.

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by whittonhoop » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 pm

I'd imagine that during the game, those 30 yard screamers are under a little more pressure, as opposed to a ball bounced in front of you with time to check a run up and no one trying up block it.

Ergo, why bother practicing it, it will be a rare chance in a game......

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Both Scottish, less that 6ft and born within a year of each other.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.