Gerry Francis... Leaving WBA

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

stainrod's elbow
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Gerry Francis... Leaving WBA

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:32 pm

T-Block wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:16 pm
Fighting Relegation at the bottom of the second tier.

I am simply staggered you do not think he can help.

As I said Muppets
If memory serves, last time Gerry was here, he took us down from the 2nd tier in effect (jumping ship to protect himself in advance). This is also the same man who rated Rob Steiner! Wonderful player for us, and did very well with us in the Prem, but he must be 70 now! Just can't really see how he's part of the long- (or even short-) term answer.

Curious as to what his 'moral obligations' are in leaving WBA, though. Presumably his lamentable ethical culpability in regard to his head of hair since about 1973?
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

qpray
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by qpray » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:21 pm

dm wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:30 pm
Might it be possible that Francis wouldn't want to come to a struggling 2nd tier club, even if it is QPR? And equally, could it be that the present management wouldn't want him?
Might it be possible that a management team of Pulis and Francis gives us a better chance of going places than the current one? And equally, might it not be wise to look at that option? I think Pulis might have the same effect that Warnick once had here?

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:26 pm

qpray wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:21 pm
dm wrote:
Might it be possible that Francis wouldn't want to come to a struggling 2nd tier club, even if it is QPR? And equally, could it be that the present management wouldn't want him?
Might it be possible that a management team of Pulis and Francis gives us a better chance of going places than the current one? And equally, might it not be wise to look at that option? I think Pulis might have the same effect that Warnick once had here?
We don't have enough fit defenders for pullis to play his preferred 6 at the back & 2 sweepers upfront.
Last edited by westlondonlalala on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:34 pm

qpray wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:21 pm
dm wrote:
We weren't discussing Pullis coming and there'd be even less likelyhood of him turning up here than Francis.

bigbobb
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Holloway undoubtedly needs help as all he has in his bag is shouting about motivation which can only work for so long.

On his last stint here as Manager, Gerry looked totally lost before the end of his reign and was clueless how to turn it around.

It looks to be a similar story as coach that he was fine when all was going well but unable to change when it starts to fade.

We need someone now with some tactical nous but I suspect it not Gerry.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

T-Block
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by T-Block » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:28 pm

I believe he is thinking of retiring,but may be tempted to help the only club he has ever really cared about.

He knows Ferdinand and Ollie well.

However he is quite moral about contracts and think he will stand by Pulis.

For the doubters I suggest you check out the total respect his opinion and knowledge of football is held in coaching circles.

If you have met him and people who have worked with him would confirm how lucky we would be to have him back for advice ,counseling and guidance.

Flippent comments on his age and hair-cut are missing the point completely

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 pm

T-Block wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:28 pm
I believe he is thinking of retiring,but may be tempted to help the only club he has ever really cared about.

He knows Ferdinand and Ollie well.

However he is quite moral about contracts and think he will stand by Pulis.

For the doubters I suggest you check out the total respect his opinion and knowledge of football is held in coaching circles.

If you have met him and people who have worked with him would confirm how lucky we would be to have him back for advice ,counseling and guidance.

Flippent comments on his age and hair-cut are missing the point completely
Can't say I'm glued to sky sports news every night but it's the first channel that goes on when I get a chance, I have however had talksport on the wireless daily for most of my working life, Can't say I can ever remember Francis being referred to once in a coaching or managerial capacity.

He jumped before being pushed from his last three jobs in the hot seat the last being nearly 18yrs ago, I think it shows him as a quitter with little backbone to jack in all three jobs when the going got tough.

Anyway you obviously rate him so that's that, I just don't see it myself.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm

T-Block wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:07 pm
Muppets.

It is obvious Ollie needs help.Its a no brainer just go and get him in any capacity you can.Full time ,part-time I do not care.

Why do you think WBA wanted him to stay?

It is because he knows more about football than anybody Rangers could ever hope for.

Come on Les....
I don't think he needs coaching help necessarily. What he really does need is to not have 5 defenders out long term with no cash available to replace them with.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Just noticed Gerry has made the Times birthday list - 66 today. God, how time flies.

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm
T-Block wrote:
Muppets.

It is obvious Ollie needs help.Its a no brainer just go and get him in any capacity you can.Full time ,part-time I do not care.

It is because he knows more about football than anybody Rangers could ever hope for.

Come on Les....
I don't think he needs coaching help necessarily. What he really does need is to not have 5 defenders out long term with no cash available to replace them with.
But he may need someone to bounce ideas off/confide in/take advice from which maybe the likes of Bircham and Fleming can't provide. So as long as it's not done in the wrong way, I think having the likes of Francis, Holloway, Sinton, Ferdinand, Impey and Penrice about the club is a good thing, after all, they all tasted success with QPR. Holloway must however want this, otherwise it will undermine him, perhaps in the same way Rodney Marsh did with Francis and Warnock may have done with Ramsey.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 pm

never go back....

Gerry's mistake last time.....

Clive Berlin and his brainwave of taking all the yoof on professional contracts didn't help ( we'll save a fortune on transfer fees by investing in our yoof team.... ). None made it at a decent level if memory serves me right, earned a nice wad off the club and hastened Chris Wright to put us in administration...

I hope he doesn't sully my fond memories further as Ollie may regret it yet....
2017/2018.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Ramsgate_Hoop
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Ramsgate_Hoop » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 pm

Olly needs someone with experience around him. Love Birch but he's no assistant manager. Give Gerry a role to the end of the season as advisor then let him go to Pulis wherever he rocks up next season.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 pm

beaglebum wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm
Lee Gib wrote:
T-Block wrote:
Muppets.

Come on Les....
But he may need someone to bounce ideas off/confide in/take advice from which maybe the likes of Bircham and Fleming can't provide. So as long as it's not done in the wrong way, I think having the likes of Francis, Holloway, Sinton, Ferdinand, Impey and Penrice about the club is a good thing, after all, they all tasted success with QPR. Holloway must however want this, otherwise it will undermine him, perhaps in the same way Rodney Marsh did with Francis and Warnock may have done with Ramsey.
Might be too many cooks beaglebum
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

beaglebum
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 am

Bear-Grills wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:49 pm
beaglebum wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm
Lee Gib wrote:

Might be too many cooks beaglebum
Maybe. But we all need a shoulder to cry on sometimes and Holloway is a big fan of Francis. Just someone to take some of the burden away from him so that Ollie can concentrate of the things he does best - motivation - may be a good thing. I don't mean to undermine Bircham but he has none of the experience that Francis has and maybe Ollie could do with some help at times? Olly must be pulling his hair out with our defensive injury crisis at the moment but I bet Francis has experienced it before and can add something that the others can't. Maybe anyway. U R'sssss

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:55 am

We"ll have more coaches than players soon.