Porridge

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Porridge

Post by SheepRanger » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Remake on BBC1and what an awful effort.

But suspect the actors just don't have the necessary spark, I mean talent.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Porridge

Post by 222gers » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:12 pm

I struggled through about ten minutes before giving up. Remakes rarely work. A similar situation with films - few pass muster compared to the originals. The Lady Vanishes with Cybil Shepherd was decent, True Grit and 3.10 to Yuma OK.
Whatever happened to the US remake of The Dambusters with Mel Gibson playing Guy Gibson ? Hopefully they decided not to proceed.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Made me realise how good Ronnie Barker, Richard Beckinsale, Fulton McKay and all the others in the original Porridge were
Come on you Sooopa ........

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:01 am

old pauline wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 pm
Made me realise how good Ronnie Barker, Richard Beckinsale, Fulton McKay and all the others in the original Porridge were
Fulton McKay was indeed wonderful as the prison officer. The inspiration was Lionel Jeffries' prison officer in the film Two Way Stretch and none the worse for it.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:40 am

The 70s gets bad press but it was sitcom gold. Everything was brilliant but now only the occasional ones reach greatness.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Nothing has yet managed to top Mind Your language has it?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:15 pm
Nothing has yet managed to top Mind Your language has it?
Clip clop and in ride the PC Brigade - yawn

Son of Robin
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Son of Robin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:32 am

SheepRanger wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:40 am
The 70s gets bad press but it was sitcom gold. Everything was brilliant but now only the occasional ones reach greatness.
I think that there's more of a "you can't say that" mentality nowadays. Not sure they'd allow Father Ted nowadays. Lots of our modern sit-coms are about weasely IT/Hipster types.

Inbetweeners was excellent though and Peep Show was good too. League of Gentlemen and I'm Alan Partridge also brilliant since turn of the century.

Takes time to be nostalgic about things like comedy but I doubt we'll be talking the same way about Mrs Brown's Boys in 20 years time.
Saint Jude, Hope of the Hopeless, Pray for me

http://kieranrobinson.com/tag/qpr/

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 am

There have been fine examples over the years but in the 70s they seemed to run alongside each other. That included variety acts such as the two ronnies, Morecambe and Wise and Mike Yarwood. These guys do not exist today. The only truly funny comedians these days are Lee Mack, Lee Evans and Frankie Boyle. Sitcoms that may last the test of time may be Vic of Dibley, thin blue line, men behaving badly and Ab Fab.

Problem being is when your young it's all new and fresh whereas when you get older you can look at something and say that you've seen it before. Very relevant to films where the same plots resurface in slightly different settings. Perhaps it's just hard to be original.

Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 am
The only truly funny comedians these days are Lee Mack, Lee Evans and Frankie Boyle.
What you meant to say was that they are the only ones YOU find truly funny. Noel Fielding isn't everyone's cup of tea but is a comedic God to others. I find Lee Evans puerile but repsect the fact that that is MY opinion of him. There are people out there who find Michael McIntyre funny but not me. A modern day comedian who I think fulfils the title of comedian in many different ways is Peter Kay, who hasn't failed yet IMO, in any series he has produced so far and is hilarious, IMO, as a live act. I am of the opinion that Pheonix Nights is up there with anything produced in the UK over the last 60 years.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by SheepRanger » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
The only truly funny comedians these days are Lee Mack, Lee Evans and Frankie Boyle.
What you meant to say was that they are the only ones YOU find truly funny. Noel Fielding isn't everyone's cup of tea but is a comedic God to others. I find Lee Evans puerile but repsect the fact that that is MY opinion of him. There are people out there who find Michael McIntyre funny but not me. A modern day comedian who I think fulfils the title of comedian in many different ways is Peter Kay, who hasn't failed yet IMO, in any series he has produced so far and is hilarious, IMO, as a live act. I am of the opinion that Pheonix Nights is up there with anything produced in the UK over the last 60 years.
Of course my comments were IMO you pedantic twat. You often see Victoria Wood and Dinner Ladies listed as greats but I cant raise a single laugh to any of her work. Phoenix Nights is a good shout but don't find his stand up particularly funny. McIntyre is BBC Saturday night gold and that's all I can say about that

Systemsguy
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:49 pm

I actually enjoyed the Kevin Bishop "pilot" of the new porridge....

Unfortunately on receiving a commission for a full series the writers seem to have written it for Ronnie Barker rather than Kevin Bishop.... It felt like he was doing an impression of him and a poor one at that! The Scottish warder was just Mr McKay reborn...

The last time I can think of real sitcom classics are Father Ted and Men Behaving Badly (and that went on at least one series too long) and they were from the 90s...

(oh and on seeing the above post... Phoenix Nights with Brian Potter deserves a mention)

Never was a fan of the likes of The Thin Blue Line or the Vicar of Dibley...

Did however like Gimme Gimme Gimme but that was just pure silliness and smut....

Anyone remember The Goodies? The kiddies program....

A particular episode called South Africa about "Apart Height" could never be shown today... (its on a Goodies DVD collection)
2017/2018.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:00 pm

It's not just comedy, just look at the sheer class of The Monocled Mutineer and Smiley's people. Today's efforts have to have loads of swearing and bonking. Is TV dumbed down and trivialised to suit the audience or is the audience having its standards lowered by the programmes ?

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:41 am

and yet drama series wise we are probably going through a golden period for that with so many good series with good plots and production.

It is more difficult to make people laugh and the 70's was the golden era for sitcoms, 80's not bad. Not Going Out was ok, Pheonix Nights and Alan Partridge worth buying the DVD's as was Max and Paddy. I liked Drop the Dead Donkey.

I always liked Goodnight Sweetheart, it didn't make you roar with laughter but was good to watch. When the BBC did the one off remakes I thought the Goodnight Sweetheart was easily the best. Talking of remakes how awful is Still Open All Hours, even David Jason can't save that one.

There is a documentary about writers Jimmy Perry and David Croft which is worth seeing if you haven't already. They mention that they lived through more life experiences than writers today to draw inspiration from which is probably true. Morecambe and Wise were brilliant of course but would have been far less brilliant without Eddie Braben.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Wow! Any chance you can apply a similar perspective to matters pertaining to QPR?
Question everything.