Economic Growth

For stuff that can only sensibly reside here. You have been warned. HERE LIVETH TROLLS!

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Economic Growth

Post by WA Hoop » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 am

Dick Smith, Australian entrepreneur, businessman etc. has financed the following ad which hit Australian TV screens this week...

https://vimeo.com/229528216

Personally, I would like to see more of this around the planet. Whether it would manage to wake the smart device / facebook / "reality" TV addicted masses, is another question.
Question everything.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Economic Growth

Post by dm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 am
Dick Smith, Australian entrepreneur, businessman etc. has financed the following ad which hit Australian TV screens this week...

https://vimeo.com/229528216

Personally, I would like to see more of this around the planet. Whether it would manage to wake the smart device / facebook / "reality" TV addicted masses, is another question.
Smith is correct. A global economy based on endless economic growth is not only damaging but ultimately impossible. But, until the capitalist dogma that underpins growth is rejected, that's what we've got.

Some reading that will immediately think I'm a communist. I'm not. I simply believe there are better alternatives to economic growth. Sadly most people think growth and capitalism are the only way to run the world. It's not.

Things will change and probably in the not so distant future. There are many pressures building that economic growth is contributing to but cannot cope with such as climate change, artificial intelligence, financial crashes, population growth, inequality, etc. Change will come either intentionally or through crisis. Le's hope it's the former.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:08 am

To quote Sir David Attenborough, who I believe was himself quoting Kenneth Boulding (adviser to JFK'), "Anyone who believes in indefinite growth on a physically finite planet is either mad, or an economist."

Despite your hopes, alas I suspect crisis will prove to be the catalyst for change.
Question everything.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Sadly you may well be right, but we have to keep trying to change the way things are done.

If you've not seen this before, check out the Centre for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy: http://www.steadystate.org They promote an alternative economy that, for me, ticks many of the boxes that need ticking.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:13 am

dm wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:52 pm
Sadly you may well be right, but we have to keep trying to change the way things are done.

If you've not seen this before, check out the Centre for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy: http://www.steadystate.org They promote an alternative economy that, for me, ticks many of the boxes that need ticking.
Thanks for that DM, at first glance it looks pretty thought provoking.
Question everything.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Please move this post to the general forum. It's a damn sight more interesting than most everything else.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.