General Election

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 7029
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: General Election

Post by SheepRanger » Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Damien wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:43 am
shirt
The selfish and stupid will unfortunately prevail yet again when the polls open. Don't know why Labour are voting for a GE as they have zero chance, and will just be further humiliated. You think it's bad in England - we may have 2 bloody elections here in NI this summer (not that I'll be voting in either). I save my politicking for cyber-space now.
For those who think there's been a lot of Corbyn bashing have seem some balance today. Torys getting a slating.

From what I can see is that you get taxed during your life with Labour or lose everything with the Torys on death when you want to pass these things on. Big mistake by the Torys who are gambling that the rich will pay for their care and sit next to those who get it free. This goes against Maggies cascading wealth vision.

With a decent Labour leader I might have had a decission to make even though Im in that top 1%. But post Brexit Labour will have a very good opportunity in the following election.

This election isnt over yet and Im getting sick of the constant 'strong and stable' leadership mantra.

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27507
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: General Election

Post by DAVEf » Fri May 19, 2017 1:28 am

Legalise and tax Marijuana?

I've been saying it for years. It's just a shame they don't do the same with other currently illegal drugs.

Still, it's good enough to get my vote.

And the promised re-run of the Brexit referendum would be a nice little bonus.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27507
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Re: General Election

Post by DAVEf » Fri May 19, 2017 1:47 am

Hunter S Thompson wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 6:34 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 6:10 pm
Depends how you define struggling. I dont see wide spread poverty where I live and work. The streets are not littered with beggars and people sleeping rough.
. Did you see the lady complaining to Mrs.May about losing her disability benefit ?
Wasn't the particular lady complaining that she had lost benefits awarded for a "learning disabiity"? I'm not sure of all the facts but that, as a general rule, doesn't really matter on here so I'd ask how someone thus apparently disabled was able to be so cogent when making her protest and facing the media etc?

What has happened is that a lot of work-shy people who have jumped on the "unprovable disabilty" bandwagon have had that their benefits reduced partly to fund genuine claimants but also because, as we all know, one of the most irritating things is knowing your neighbour is playing Golf and/or moonlighting at cash-in-hand jobs while claiming many thousands a year in disability benefits for "depression" or a "bad back" etc etc and happily laughing at those who do a full weeks work and pay taxes on what they earn.

That some genuine cases get caught up in the fall-out has been softened by the fact that over 40% of all claimants have their benefits restored on appeal and there has to be some sympathy for the genuine cases (but then they are the ones we and the media should be highlighting --- not the headline-grabbing ones).
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3738
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: General Election

Post by 222gers » Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 am

The more I look at the tory manifesto the more baffled I get. No specifics on tax, no indication of the level that winter fuel payments will be means tested, no mention of people putting their money/property into trust funds to avoid the social care costs, a measure that I wouldn't blame them for taking, but would scupper the tory care costs, no mention of how early children would have to get to school for their free breakfast that replaces school dinners, of how much earlier staff would have to start work. The only specific is the new double lock on pensions from 2020.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19688
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: General Election

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 19, 2017 11:48 am

Yet Labour are the ones with no clear ideas and how to fund them. The good old Selfservatives will romp home thanks to the media. I liked the idea of Michael Caine giving their party slogan some impetus; "We're only supposed to rip the bloody poor off". :evil:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 7029
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: General Election

Post by SheepRanger » Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm

You lot and the media are like a broken record. The Tory woman on QT last night was well and truly slaughtered for all to see and all news stations had a go at the manifesto. Anybody would think the entire country buy newspapers!

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19688
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: General Election

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm
You lot and the media are like a broken record. The Tory woman on QT last night was well and truly slaughtered for all to see and all news stations had a go at the manifesto. Anybody would think the entire country buy newspapers!
Not just the newspapers; I was at the gym this morning and Sky news was on, the message they constantly pushed for the 20-25 minutes I was able to watch for was that a vote for Labour was a complete waste of a vote. No substance to back the claim up just denigrate the people in the Labour party and ignore any aspect of their policies and manifesto. It's a flipping disgrace that they, and the others, are not only allowed to get away with it, but the people who will be hardest hit by a Tory government will be the hardest hit. Talk about turkey's voting for Thanksgiving/ Christmas. I haven't seen a single article on TV ( I stopped buying newspapers in the last century) where labour's manifesto has been fairly treated.
On a tangent; all the abuse that Diane Abbott (rightfully) got for her atrocious grasp of basic economics yet not a word when May does just the same, or worse, depending on your opinion. When the people are more concerned with who is featured in a celebrity magazine or winning a fake talent contest than they are with who is running the country it makes you question your own version of reality. It's rare these days to see anyone under the age of 40 who isn't walking around with their phone and using it as they do so. A modern day Talking Dead. WTF has happened to people? (Rhetorical)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19688
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: General Election

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm
You lot and the media are like a broken record. The Tory woman on QT last night was well and truly slaughtered for all to see and all news stations had a go at the manifesto. Anybody would think the entire country buy newspapers!
Not just the newspapers; I was at the gym this morning and Sky news was on, the message they constantly pushed for the 20-25 minutes I was able to watch for was that a vote for Labour was a complete waste of a vote. No substance to back the claim up just denigrate the people in the Labour party and ignore any aspect of their policies and manifesto. It's a flipping disgrace that they, and the others, are not only allowed to get away with it, but the people who will be hardest hit by a Tory government will be the hardest hit. Talk about turkey's voting for Thanksgiving/ Christmas. I haven't seen a single article on TV ( I stopped buying newspapers in the last century) where labour's manifesto has been fairly treated.
On a tangent; all the abuse that Diane Abbott (rightfully) got for her atrocious grasp of basic economics yet not a word when May does just the same, or worse, depending on your opinion. When the people are more concerned with who is featured in a celebrity magazine or winning a fake talent contest than they are with who is running the country it makes you question your own version of reality. It's rare these days to see anyone under the age of 40 who isn't walking around with their phone and using it as they do so. A modern day Talking Dead. WTF has happened to people? (Rhetorical)
*Edit. I was wrong, I found a story about it.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the ... ebook-post
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3738
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: General Election

Post by 222gers » Fri May 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm
You lot and the media are like a broken record. The Tory woman on QT last night was well and truly slaughtered for all to see and all news stations had a go at the manifesto. Anybody would think the entire country buy newspapers!
Not just the newspapers; I was at the gym this morning and Sky news was on, the message they constantly pushed for the 20-25 minutes I was able to watch for was that a vote for Labour was a complete waste of a vote. No substance to back the claim up just denigrate the people in the Labour party and ignore any aspect of their policies and manifesto. It's a flipping disgrace that they, and the others, are not only allowed to get away with it, but the people who will be hardest hit by a Tory government will be the hardest hit. Talk about turkey's voting for Thanksgiving/ Christmas. I haven't seen a single article on TV ( I stopped buying newspapers in the last century) where labour's manifesto has been fairly treated.
On a tangent; all the abuse that Diane Abbott (rightfully) got for her atrocious grasp of basic economics yet not a word when May does just the same, or worse, depending on your opinion. When the people are more concerned with who is featured in a celebrity magazine or winning a fake talent contest than they are with who is running the country it makes you question your own version of reality. It's rare these days to see anyone under the age of 40 who isn't walking around with their phone and using it as they do so. A modern day Talking Dead. WTF has happened to people? (Rhetorical)
Indeed, during my usual extensive strawpolling around the pubs of west London, as soon as anything proposed by the Labour Party is mentioned, people thrust an index finger forward and parrot " 'oos gonna pay for it ? " the media has them well trained.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 7029
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: General Election

Post by SheepRanger » Fri May 19, 2017 6:27 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:58 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm
You lot and the media are like a broken record. The Tory woman on QT last night was well and truly slaughtered for all to see and all news stations had a go at the manifesto. Anybody would think the entire country buy newspapers!
Not just the newspapers; I was at the gym this morning and Sky news was on, the message they constantly pushed for the 20-25 minutes I was able to watch for was that a vote for Labour was a complete waste of a vote. No substance to back the claim up just denigrate the people in the Labour party and ignore any aspect of their policies and manifesto. It's a flipping disgrace that they, and the others, are not only allowed to get away with it, but the people who will be hardest hit by a Tory government will be the hardest hit. Talk about turkey's voting for Thanksgiving/ Christmas. I haven't seen a single article on TV ( I stopped buying newspapers in the last century) where labour's manifesto has been fairly treated.
On a tangent; all the abuse that Diane Abbott (rightfully) got for her atrocious grasp of basic economics yet not a word when May does just the same, or worse, depending on your opinion. When the people are more concerned with who is featured in a celebrity magazine or winning a fake talent contest than they are with who is running the country it makes you question your own version of reality. It's rare these days to see anyone under the age of 40 who isn't walking around with their phone and using it as they do so. A modern day Talking Dead. WTF has happened to people? (Rhetorical)
Indeed, during my usual extensive strawpolling around the pubs of west London, as soon as anything proposed by the Labour Party is mentioned, people thrust an index finger forward and parrot " 'oos gonna pay for it ? " the media has them well trained.
And a silly question to ask......!!!

Yes bias with Daily Mail, Telegraph and Sky
No bias with Daily Mirror and the BBC.

Perhaps you confuse challenge as an atack on your beloved Labour. There is legirimate challenge and Torys have been getting too on their health care. Corbyn today stated that he disagrees with May over her £100k cap on the care policy when in fact thats the anount that is untouchable and there's unlimited amounts that can be claimed. He doesnt even know his opposition's policies ffs! He and Abbott are idiots.

However, Ive been listening to Emily Thornbury on LBC early evening and she is such an articulate well informed MP. She is definately someone I could vote for as she based on her intelligence and common sense approach.

User avatar
222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3738
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: General Election

Post by 222gers » Fri May 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Wasn't she of the "white van man" rant during the last election !

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19688
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: General Election

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 pm

No bias on the BBC? :shock: :? You must have missed the breaking story on that yesterday. :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
SheepRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 7029
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:09 pm
Location: Swine Down

Re: General Election

Post by SheepRanger » Sat May 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 pm
No bias on the BBC? :shock: :? You must have missed the breaking story on that yesterday. :roll:
Yes, so please share a link

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 19688
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: General Election

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat May 20, 2017 12:22 pm

SheepRanger wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 12:02 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 pm
No bias on the BBC? :shock: :? You must have missed the breaking story on that yesterday. :roll:
Yes, so please share a link
New Statesman. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... k-evidence
This one is about a BBC political commentator. https://www.rt.com/uk/385572-bbc-robinson-bias-corbyn/
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 12262
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: General Election

Post by dm » Sat May 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 12:22 pm
SheepRanger wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 12:02 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 pm
No bias on the BBC? :shock: :? You must have missed the breaking story on that yesterday. :roll:
Yes, so please share a link
New Statesman. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... k-evidence
This one is about a BBC political commentator. https://www.rt.com/uk/385572-bbc-robinson-bias-corbyn/
And even the Torygraph reported on Kuenssberg's anti-Corbyn bias: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01 ... t-reveals/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest