Oh dear...could this be the end of QPR as we know it??

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

User avatar
Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5420
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Scorpio Ranger wrote:I think we are getting the jargon reversed.

When I was a kid Man Utd were among the most famous football teams in the world because they were actually rather good. A forward line of Best, Charlton, Law, Kidd & Aston would destroy the majority of Champions league pretenders today.

Out of that base grew the brand. Everyone knew what Man U represented and everyone wanted the shirt.

These days smaller clubs,and I include us amongst them, seek to "establish a brand" without the basis of football success, which means actually being quite good.

Perhaps that's where the problem lies?

(ducks back in the bunker)
:like
I sort of agree but disagree with this as the brand was more established during the 90's when fergie was in charge and kids only like winners....

Although I am of an age where I remember those three play for ManUre, the club was on the slide and slipped into the old 2nd division shortly afterwards, Utd had a glamour about them but not the following they have now..

There were far more Liverpool fans during the 70's due to their success at the time, how often do we hear Chelski fans on radio or forums say I've been a fan since 2003?

Uncle Tony and I assume his fellow shareholders want a "global brand" hence the football clinic last week in Malaysia.....

I have no problem with the concept but I want the execution to be more steady than the complete @rse up we witnessed during the two premiership years....,
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Image

User avatar
Parks Queen
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1637
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:24 pm
Location: sub-culture

Post by Parks Queen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:23 am

Brian McCarthy wrote:
Jamie wrote: This journalist is very good by the way, so it's worth considering what he writes.
Heard him on the radio last night and he was backtracking furiously "worst-case scenario...would have to deduct parachute payments...infrastructure payments exempt...an example of the kind of thing that might happen etc".
Thank you!

So the worthy journo just wanted to revisit the FFP issue.
No problem with that here, as far as I'm concerned.
And it has seemed to me that it selectively favors the few,
perhaps contributing to cementt* the status quo, pushing out the little guys.
And that it is not the most fair thing, should that be the case.

As far as QPR is concerned, full steam ahead is the message I get.
From those who actually call the shots, as in the board members and owners.

But I am very sympathetic, actually, to the plight of little clubs lower down.
And intend to do my very best to help get money into at least the Championship League.

I really would like an entire U.S. channel devoted only to Championship & MLS footie, all day and night. As well as an entire U.S. channel for PL and UEFA games. Two channels out of thousands. Would seem a reasonable ask. I am finding your Championship games as interesting as your PL games. I bet there are other foreigners out there with similar sentiments, and this is probably because it is easier to identify with this level of play. The up and coming footie nations might even prefer it to the PL level because it may help them feel less crappy. Who knows.


* 11/25 edit
I had typed in the word "cement." and it shows up as "miscreant"
so I went into the Edit mode and the word "cementt." is still there!
Yet it shows up as "miscreant" ... strange. What gives?
Last edited by Parks Queen on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Right behind you, Joeybaby. Lace the rainbow, sweet Charlie!
LAS MARIPOSAS! 25 November #16days #orangeurworld #EndVAW @SayNO_UNiTE
“Nearly 1/2 all sexual assaults worldwide against girls aged 15 yrs & younger”
-- Ciaran Donnelly of @theirc

Nodge70
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5251
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Post by Nodge70 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Brian McCarthy wrote:
Jamie wrote: This journalist is very good by the way, so it's worth considering what he writes.
Heard him on the radio last night and he was backtracking furiously "worst-case scenario...would have to deduct parachute payments...infrastructure payments exempt...an example of the kind of thing that might happen etc".
Disagree vehemently that he's a "good" journalist. Very much like Henry Winter and Danny Taylor, because they give off the aura of being intelligent and writing long articles where a thesaurus has been used, doesn't equate to being a good journalist. Manipulation of half truths, worse case scenarios, not checking irritating actual facts like "rules" and the extent and legal constitution of the owners investments and then line that up with a whole raft of "what ifs", isn't good journalism. It's excellent sensastionalism and probably good to sell papers but it isn't good journalism.

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27505
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Post by DAVEf » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Nodge70 wrote:
Brian McCarthy wrote:
Jamie wrote: This journalist is very good by the way, so it's worth considering what he writes.
Heard him on the radio last night and he was backtracking furiously "worst-case scenario...would have to deduct parachute payments...infrastructure payments exempt...an example of the kind of thing that might happen etc".
Disagree vehemently that he's a "good" journalist. Very much like Henry Winter and Danny Taylor, because they give off the aura of being intelligent and writing long articles where a thesaurus has been used, doesn't equate to being a good journalist. Manipulation of half truths, worse case scenarios, not checking irritating actual facts like "rules" and the extent and legal constitution of the owners investments and then line that up with a whole raft of "what ifs", isn't good journalism. It's excellent sensastionalism and probably good to sell papers but it isn't good journalism.
Such retained journos have two responsibilities --- to help sell their employers' newspapers and to follow any agenda set by that employer. To not do so would cost them their jobs.

Given that's true, any ideas of a free or capable press are surely untrustworthy as are any ideas of journos being necessarily clever and independent thinkers when they have to consider keeping their jobs.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
johnnymb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:28 pm
Contact:

Post by johnnymb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:09 pm

The trouble with any non-Financial journalists writing about finances is they don't have a scoobie... It's definitely straight into the recycling for that article.

Note that as usual several other media regurgitators (Yahoo and others) have also published virtually the same article with all the usual absence of any common sense or due diligence.

When the media have no credibility in the content of the articles they write, then what have they got left? Online is now more about headlines and traffic than it is content...

User avatar
sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2103
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:19 am
Location: Shoreham by Sea

Post by sparkypark » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:48 pm

DAVEf wrote:
Nodge70 wrote:
Brian McCarthy wrote: Heard him on the radio last night and he was backtracking furiously "worst-case scenario...would have to deduct parachute payments...infrastructure payments exempt...an example of the kind of thing that might happen etc".
Disagree vehemently that he's a "good" journalist. Very much like Henry Winter and Danny Taylor, because they give off the aura of being intelligent and writing long articles where a thesaurus has been used, doesn't equate to being a good journalist. Manipulation of half truths, worse case scenarios, not checking irritating actual facts like "rules" and the extent and legal constitution of the owners investments and then line that up with a whole raft of "what ifs", isn't good journalism. It's excellent sensastionalism and probably good to sell papers but it isn't good journalism.
Such retained journos have two responsibilities --- to help sell their employers' newspapers and to follow any agenda set by that employer. To not do so would cost them their jobs.

Given that's true, any ideas of a free or capable press are surely untrustworthy as are any ideas of journos being necessarily clever and independent thinkers when they have to consider keeping their jobs.
Yawnsville, Arizona. Complete arrogance. Many journalists are lazy, as are people in any trade, but many work hard to explain what is going on.
Between my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests. I'll dig with it.

User avatar
DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 27505
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Post by DAVEf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:45 am

sparkypark wrote:
DAVEf wrote:
Nodge70 wrote: Disagree vehemently that he's a "good" journalist. Very much like Henry Winter and Danny Taylor, because they give off the aura of being intelligent and writing long articles where a thesaurus has been used, doesn't equate to being a good journalist. Manipulation of half truths, worse case scenarios, not checking irritating actual facts like "rules" and the extent and legal constitution of the owners investments and then line that up with a whole raft of "what ifs", isn't good journalism. It's excellent sensastionalism and probably good to sell papers but it isn't good journalism.
Such retained journos have two responsibilities --- to help sell their employers' newspapers and to follow any agenda set by that employer. To not do so would cost them their jobs.

Given that's true, any ideas of a free or capable press are surely untrustworthy as are any ideas of journos being necessarily clever and independent thinkers when they have to consider keeping their jobs.
Yawnsville, Arizona. Complete arrogance. Many journalists are lazy, as are people in any trade, but many work hard to explain what is going on.
Not retained newspaper ones. Except when any explanations of what is actually going on suit the newspaper owners or increase sales.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

User avatar
deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 7590
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of South Ruislip

Post by deepseahoop » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:43 am

Its a great idea though isn't it, if a club is in debt fine them and put them further into debt as that'll help wont it. I think they should deduct points now that would work! If we were fined Tony would just use the loss on QPR as a tax deductiion somewhere elsr.
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 21219
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:46 am

I think it is because a points deduction would affect the big 6 teams whereas a fine will, as you say, be written off elsewhere in the business(es)
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 10123
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:18 am

deepseahoop wrote:If we were fined Tony would just use the loss on QPR as a tax deductiion somewhere elsr.
Well that's a consolation
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Nodge70
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5251
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Post by Nodge70 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:15 am

DAVEf wrote:
sparkypark wrote:
DAVEf wrote: Such retained journos have two responsibilities --- to help sell their employers' newspapers and to follow any agenda set by that employer. To not do so would cost them their jobs.

Given that's true, any ideas of a free or capable press are surely untrustworthy as are any ideas of journos being necessarily clever and independent thinkers when they have to consider keeping their jobs.
Yawnsville, Arizona. Complete arrogance. Many journalists are lazy, as are people in any trade, but many work hard to explain what is going on.
Not retained newspaper ones. Except when any explanations of what is actually going on suit the newspaper owners or increase sales.
There are a few who do. David Conn, Martin Samuel (gets a bad rep but generally is clued in and sees through a great deal of ephemera) and yes, even our good pal Mick Dennis.

User avatar
Micky
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 8101
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:46 pm

Post by Micky » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:25 am

David Conn does seem to have a blind spot for his beloved Man City who are one of the worst offenders in terms of FFP.

Jamie
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4363
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:09 pm
Location: North London

Post by Jamie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Micky wrote:David Conn does seem to have a blind spot for his beloved Man City who are one of the worst offenders in terms of FFP.
No he doesn't.

He wrote a book about City's takeover and subsequent league victory called Richer Than God. There's very good passages in it about how football is now no longer the same and is essentially a business. It's very clear in it that he's fallen quite a lot out of love with the team that he supported and the sport in general.

I think we all know that feeling really, but many find it hard to give up.

PSG will be the barometers of FFP. They're claiming that the Qatar Tourism board is sponsoring them to the tune of €200 million a year.

This after City had something like £350 million for a 10 year deal with Etihad. The PSG deal makes that sponsorship seem a bargain.

So, yeah, basically Financial Fair Play is starting to appear a load of nonsense, but the article in the Mail about us is only really sensationalised in the headline - standard newspaper nonsense written by subs - the prediction for the loss from last season doesn't seem outlandish really. Remember, the loss from our first season was about £26 million and we then went and signed a load of nuts players on mad wages.

I'd imagine we're minimising those losses now but I would put a large sum of money on us still picking up substantial wages for the likes of Park, M'Bia, Taarabt, Remy, Granero - not to mention Cesar.

Basically - I expect us to entertain bids for perhaps Johnson and Dunne in January if anyone comes calling and they can stay fit for a bit and if we can get cash up front.
"I still don't like calling her (Rosie) a dog. She was better than that" - Harry Redknapp

Nodge70
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5251
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Post by Nodge70 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 am

I think any outgoings will be offset by a couple of very expensive (wages) incomings in January, loans or otherwise inc one of Harry's usual favourites.

User avatar
deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 7590
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of South Ruislip

Post by deepseahoop » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 am

surely QPR as a business just need to expand their intefests beyond football as they have with marketing and retail into something lucrative such as an airline or steel.
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good

Post Reply