300000 posts – more stats and credit crunched

Admin stuff, CHAT ROOM and other links, how to pay/donate, post images, downloads, etc etc.
Got a question? LOOK HERE FIRST
Tunga
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Tunga » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Can I ask why you opted for a dedicated server? 80GB a month isn't a huge amount, a decent shared hosting package should cope with it fine. I realise peak bandwidth and server load is important too but I would have thought you could save a lot of money without making the site slow down. Maybe you tried this already, just interested.

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Tunga wrote:Can I ask why you opted for a dedicated server? 80GB a month isn't a huge amount, a decent shared hosting package should cope with it fine. I realise peak bandwidth and server load is important too but I would have thought you could save a lot of money without making the site slow down. Maybe you tried this already, just interested.
Yep - been there and tried that. I've used three different shared hosts and the service for phpbb at peak times is useless. It seems to be the way that the databases are called all at once when lots of people load and update threads at the same time, which is why I've gone for a dedicated phpbb host and upgraded to a VPS.
Locum meum praecepta mea

Tunga
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Tunga » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Ah okay, I actually dumped phpBB a few years back in favour of SMF, found it to be much faster and better featured.

Also phpBB 3 is out now, maybe that would help.

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:19 pm

Tunga wrote:Ah okay, I actually dumped phpBB a few years back in favour of SMF, found it to be much faster and better featured.

Also phpBB 3 is out now, maybe that would help.
I'm actually trialling an SMF board elsewhere, and will either switch to that or to PHPBB3 at some point - I was waiting for all the early bugs and fixes for 3 to be sorted, which I think they probably are now.
Locum meum praecepta mea

Tunga
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Tunga » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Cool, I'm running SMF 2 Beta 4 and it seems 100% stable despite being a beta and has some nice new features :) . Heard good things about phpBB 3 too so either should be good.

Hud
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Hud » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Do you guys have any idea what you should be paying for a download site? Just asking as I've been helping a friend with an online project which costs him £900 a month to host - although the service has about 1 million users....

Cheers,

Hud

steptoe
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Location: Divide my time between St Tropez, Monte Carlo and Tooting

Post by steptoe » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:12 pm

How much would I have to pay to become a moderator? Serious question.

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:54 pm

steptoe wrote:How much would I have to pay to become a moderator? Serious question.
I'm not looking to recruit at present, but thanks for the interest, which is noted.

There is another message board recruiting mods though - in fact I've been asked, but have so far declined. If you are interested I'll let you have details.

Drew
Locum meum praecepta mea

steptoe
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:11 am

DG wrote:
steptoe wrote:How much would I have to pay to become a moderator? Serious question.
I'm not looking to recruit at present, but thanks for the interest, which is noted.

There is another message board recruiting mods though - in fact I've been asked, but have so far declined. If you are interested I'll let you have details.

Drew
Does DW post on it?

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:51 am

No idea. I never look at it.
Locum meum praecepta mea

steptoe
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 am

DG wrote:No idea. I never look at it.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement. I want POWER Deeg, POWER! Just give me a slice of it and i'll start handing out bans left, right and centre to anyone that crosses the line!

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 am

steptoe wrote:
Not exactly a ringing endorsement. I want POWER Deeg, POWER! Just give me a slice of it and i'll start handing out bans left, right and centre to anyone that crosses the line!
What will you do for match reports?

dotorg VIP :wink:
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

steptoe
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 pm

SM wrote:
steptoe wrote:
What will you do for match reports?

dotorg VIP :wink:
You see Drew? Even the people are with me.

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Unfortunately I have had many requests from others who wish to become moderators on here well in advance of yours I'm afraid. Including one prolific poster from the United States of America. In reality your dream is entirely forlorn, given the number of folk that already lie betwen you and glory and my non-recruitment per se.
Locum meum praecepta mea

steptoe
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:40 pm

DG wrote:Unfortunately I have had many requests from others who wish to become moderators on here well in advance of yours I'm afraid. Including one prolific poster from the United States of America. In reality your dream is entirely forlorn, given the number of folk that already lie betwen you and glory and my non-recruitment per se.
Yeah but they're all rubbish, and Americans shouldn't even be allowed to post