300000 posts – more stats and credit crunched

Admin stuff, CHAT ROOM and other links, how to pay/donate, post images, downloads, etc etc.
Got a question? LOOK HERE FIRST
DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

300000 posts – more stats and credit crunched

Post by DG » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Almost exactly two years since I started this message board we now show over three hundred thousand posts, which is both brilliant and astonishing, as are the averages of over 10,000,000 hits and a bandwidth of 70 Gigabytes a month. I also think that in spite of opinion expressed elsewhere about us, this board represents the very best in both football and non-football related discussion for QPR fans worldwide. Many thanks to all contributors and readers and long may we continue.

And there lies the rub...

Since starting this I have upgraded the server a few times. The board runs on a dedicated hosting service in the USA which is pretty good and reliable, although we are constantly between us trying to improve the speed of access, particularly at high-use times. I use this service because it is dedicated to running message boards of this type and the support staff are reliable and available 24/7. I pay for the server, the upgrades and the technical support, which currently run at about £90 per month. I also pay for the chat room service and the form redirection for the prediction competition, which add on another £20 or so per month. I receive some financial support by way of donations both regularly via standing order and also occasional one-offs, for which I am really grateful. However these now come nowhere near the £110 or thereabouts that the site costs me per month.

Up to now I have been able to subsidise the additional costs personally, but unfortunately I have been ‘credit crunched’ and am no longer in a position to do that. Before continuing let me make one thing clear – I do not want advertising or any form of overt company sponsorship on here – I will shut it down rather than have that. I am therefore requesting your help, but only on a ‘can-afford-to-donate’ basis, and only for small amounts.

If you are in a position to support this message board, particularly on a monthly basis but anything will be most gratefully received, please do help out via this link: http://qprdot.org/viewtopic.php?t=7197

I understand that many of you are in a similar financial position to myself and I don’t want anyone to feel that they have to donate. I also do not want to charge for membership or registration or anything like that. I also do not want to move the board to another, cheaper server, switch to another type of board or use Google ads etc. Basically I want to carry on, for the time being at any rate, with this ‘as-is’ and perhaps upgrade or make changes in the medium term, or when I am in a financial position to cover it myself. Therefore if a few of you could spare a pound or similar each month, or send a one-off amount at any time, that would go some way towards covering my costs. Genuine thanks. Drew
Last edited by DG on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Locum meum praecepta mea

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:25 pm

I have to say Drew (in ignorance) i wasn't aware that anywhere near that kind of money/time you mentioned was used on this website.

You should have now received a donation from me, and once again thanks so much for all the tireless work you put in :D
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Fantastic. Many thanks indeed SM. :-)
Locum meum praecepta mea

steptoe
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Location: Divide my time between St Tropez, Monte Carlo and Tooting

Re: 300000 posts – more stats and credit crunched

Post by steptoe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:18 pm

DG wrote:Almost exactly two years since I started this message board we now show over three hundred thousand posts, which is both brilliant and astonishing, as are the averages of over 10,000,000 hits and a bandwidth of 70 Gigabytes a month. I also think that in spite of opinion expressed elsewhere about us, this board represents the very best in both football and non-football related discussion for QPR fans worldwide. Many thanks to all contributors and readers and long may we continue.

And there lies the rub...

Since starting this I have upgraded the server a few times. The board runs on a dedicated hosting service in the USA which is pretty good and reliable, although we are constantly between us trying to improve the speed of access, particularly at high-use times. I use this service because it is dedicated to running message boards of this type and the support staff are reliable and available 24/7. I pay for the server, the upgrades and the technical support, which currently run at about £90 per month. I also pay for the chat room service and the form redirection for the prediction competition, which add on another £20 or so per month. I receive some financial support by way of donations both regularly via standing order and also occasional one-offs, for which I am really grateful. However these now come nowhere near the £110 or thereabouts that the site costs me per month.

Up to now I have been able to subsidise the additional costs personally, but unfortunately I have been ‘credit crunched’ and am no longer in a position to do that. Before continuing let me make one thing clear – I do not want advertising or any form of overt company sponsorship on here – I will shut it down rather than have that. I am therefore requesting your help, but only on a ‘can-afford-to-donate’ basis, and only for small amounts.

If you are in a position to support this message board, particularly on a monthly basis but anything will be most gratefully received, please do help out via this link: http://qprdot.org/viewtopic.php?t=7197

I understand that many of you are in a similar financial position to myself and I don’t want anyone to feel that they have to donate. I also do not want to charge for membership or registration or anything like that. I also do not want to move the board to another, cheaper server, switch to another type of board or use Google ads etc. Basically I want to carry on, for the time being at any rate, with this ‘as-is’ and perhaps upgrade or make changes in the medium term, or when I am in a financial position to cover it myself. Therefore if a few of you could spare a pound or similar each month, or send a one-off amount at any time, that would go some way towards covering my costs. Genuine thanks. Drew
How much do you want to ban DW? Name your price.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: 300000 posts – more stats and credit crunched

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:21 pm

steptoe wrote: How much do you want to ban DW? Name your price.
:lol:

patrickqpr
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by patrickqpr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi Drew

Just sent you a donation through Paypal.

Being in South Africa I only make it to HQ once or twice a year so this forum is my link to what's going on re all things QPR.

Keep up the good work, it is appreciated!

cheers

Patrick

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Many thanks for the kind words and the donation Patrick. Really appreciate it. :-)
Locum meum praecepta mea

daniel
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by daniel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:36 pm

SM wrote:I have to say Drew (in ignorance) i wasn't aware that anywhere near that kind of money/time you mentioned was used on this website.

You should have now received a donation from me, and once again thanks so much for all the tireless work you put in :D
I hope you contributed a penny a post!

:wink:

Tunga
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Tunga » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:27 am

I will throw a couple of pound in each month, I read this place much more than I post :) .

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:17 pm

Tunga wrote:I will throw a couple of pound in each month, I read this place much more than I post :) .
Brilliant. Many thanks indeed Tunga - a few more like your good self would be much appreciated! Drew
Locum meum praecepta mea

qprcanada
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by qprcanada » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Some £££ on its way. I read more than post on here but it is my primary source of QPR information.

I would welcome advertising such as Google Adwords if it helped to defray costs.

Cheers

Simon

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:12 pm

qprcanada wrote:Some £££ on its way. I read more than post on here but it is my primary source of QPR information.

I would welcome advertising such as Google Adwords if it helped to defray costs.

Cheers

Simon
Received - Many thanks Simon. Much appreciated. :-)
Locum meum praecepta mea

doey

Post by doey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 pm

I, like many other I asume, had no idea how much money you put in to this, paypal'd you a 10 'er, keep up the good work!

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm

daniel wrote:
SM wrote:I have to say Drew (in ignorance) i wasn't aware that anywhere near that kind of money/time you mentioned was used on this website.

I would be seriously overdrawn if that was the case daniel!! :lol:
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

FrenchRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by FrenchRanger » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:26 pm

SM wrote:
daniel wrote:

I would be seriously overdrawn if that was the case daniel!! :lol:
By just over 51 quid... :wink:
Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak.

Francois de La Rochefoucauld