political correctness gone mad?

For stuff that can only sensibly reside here. You have been warned. HERE LIVETH TROLLS!

Moderators: ZENITH R, Virginia_R, nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

political correctness gone mad?

Post by rblockells » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvHGKSqBVjs

or clever modern advertising?

you decide.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.Both ideas are overwhelming.

Steiner
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Steiner » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:24 pm

That has got to be one of the more tenuous connections that I've ever seen an advert make.

Considering that they don't mention it at all throughout the entire thing. So, as an ad, it fails on a basic level. As something intended to go viral, it's a cute story. Designed to go viral. So it probably will.

GaryT
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by GaryT » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:54 pm

It's a sugary cereal. They've tried to make these things sound healthy by saying "they release energy throughout the day" and "fortified with countless vitamins" but at the end of the day, most grown ups know they are sugary bites of crap so what the hell, let's just get people to tell stories and not mention the product at all, genius! (I hate them, marketing people) :evil:
I am (mostly) a kind, considerate, caring, understanding, generous and liberal sort of bloke. Except when it comes to football. And I have no wish or will to change that at all. ©DAVEf 06/03/2015

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: political correctness gone mad?

Post by sparkypark » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:30 pm

rblockells wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvHGKSqBVjs

you decide.
Modern advertising. In this case, I imagine, it is aimed at making Cheerios acceptable for the American gay market. This is a large market.

Using French men is particularly intelligent as Americans view the French as he most sophisticated and cultured Europeans.
Between my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests. I'll dig with it.

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:10 am

sparkypark wrote:

you decide.
Modern advertising. In this case, I imagine, it is aimed at making Cheerios acceptable for the American gay market. This is a large market.

Using French men is particularly intelligent as Americans view the French as he most sophisticated and cultured Europeans.
I would tend to agree with that analysis.

However a legion of reactionaries are bound to say that it's propaganda designed to make society more accepting of progressive ideas on the family unit.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.Both ideas are overwhelming.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:32 pm

rblockells wrote:
sparkypark wrote:

you decide.

I would tend to agree with that analysis.

However a legion of reactionaries are bound to say that it's propaganda designed to make society more accepting of progressive ideas on the family unit.
Then they're idiots aren't they.

Such advertisers care only about promoting the product and are judged solely on sales figures. If you suggested to them that they might have any concerns relevant to societal development they'd laugh in your face.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Just makes me feel slightly ill, jumping on the back of a good thing and adding your brand is clumsy exploitation.

This is cute - Cheerioes are the same - eat them and you will be good.

sick

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Maybe we just have to be wise enough to make good decisions.

I'd say it's a nice little story, told quickly.

But as for Cheerios, I'm not one iota more likely to waste money on them.
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:58 am

GaryT wrote:It's a sugary cereal. They've tried to make these things sound healthy by saying "they release energy throughout the day" and "fortified with countless vitamins" but at the end of the day, most grown ups know they are sugary bites of crap so what the hell, let's just get people to tell stories and not mention the product at all, genius! (I hate them, marketing people) :evil:
i concur GT. not even going to look at the ad.

but will respond to the claims:

"countless vitamins", im sure it's possible to count the number of different vitamins (surely claimed on box?), and even the number of each type in a 'typical' serving, a box, or a batch.

"release energy throughout the day" - absolute horse doudou. metabolically impossible if you define the day as a 24 hr period.

oh, and much as I dislike the guy, there is always an interesting rebuttal or two on his website

http://www.badscience.net
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

NuttyRanger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by NuttyRanger » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Actually, if you get into the technicalities of the processing of Cheerios, it turns out that they lose most of their nutritional goodness by the time it's finished - not to mention the sugar intake so I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Clever marketing though in my view.
Abide with me

GaryT
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by GaryT » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:58 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
GaryT wrote:It's a sugary cereal. They've tried to make these things sound healthy by saying "they release energy throughout the day" and "fortified with countless vitamins" but at the end of the day, most grown ups know they are sugary bites of crap so what the hell, let's just get people to tell stories and not mention the product at all, genius! (I hate them, marketing people) :evil:
i concur GT. not even going to look at the ad.

but will respond to the claims:

"countless vitamins", im sure it's possible to count the number of different vitamins (surely claimed on box?), and even the number of each type in a 'typical' serving, a box, or a batch.

"release energy throughout the day" - absolute horse doudou. metabolically impossible if you define the day as a 24 hr period.

oh, and much as I dislike the guy, there is always an interesting rebuttal or two on his website

http://www.badscience.net
A bit of laziness on my part. Yes, they will mention which vitamins they 'add' to the product on the box but I couldn't be arsed to find out which ones. As I wasn't specifically refereeing to Cheerios I used a bit of artistic licence to lump them all together and settled for countless, my bad.

I'm pretty sure the "release energy throughout the day" was one snivelling excuse of a human beings idea to sell chocolate spread, like it had some health benefits! Twunts. :evil:
I am (mostly) a kind, considerate, caring, understanding, generous and liberal sort of bloke. Except when it comes to football. And I have no wish or will to change that at all. ©DAVEf 06/03/2015

NuttyRanger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by NuttyRanger » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Believe me - it's wise to stay away from Cheerios!!
Abide with me