An Insane World

For stuff that can only sensibly reside here. You have been warned. HERE LIVETH TROLLS!

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

arthurshines
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by arthurshines » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:28 am

'dumbing down of the masses through the government education system'

no doubt the dumbing down is happening but I'd suggest its actually the LACK of government support for local school systems is more to blame. That is directly attributable to the corporate class and the push to privatize everything that happens.

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

some problems that we face

Post by rblockells » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.Both ideas are overwhelming.

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by sparkypark » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am

Stan wrote:that's the history of the world though isn't it? Nothing new or only relevant to the modern world. Keep your head down & provide for your family.
Nope. Of course most of us are dependent on wages, but realistically once capitalism gave a much larger number of people an opportunity to amass a bit of wealth, their own houses, enjoy art, go to concerts, things have hardly been that desperate over the last century in the developed world.

RLHOOP
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by RLHOOP » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:04 pm

arthurshines wrote:'dumbing down of the masses through the government education system'
Intelligent people will seek answers and educate themselves, the information is out there. All this does is feed and manipulate the stupid, something that has been done since the dawn of time. Whats new?

RLHOOP
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by RLHOOP » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:09 pm

sparkypark wrote:
Stan wrote:that's the history of the world though isn't it? Nothing new or only relevant to the modern world. Keep your head down & provide for your family.
Nope. Of course most of us are dependent on wages, but realistically once capitalism gave a much larger number of people an opportunity to amass a bit of wealth, their own houses, enjoy art, go to concerts, things have hardly been that desperate over the last century in the developed world.
People in general don't aspire to be millionnaires, simply be comfortable enough to support their family. If you work hard enough you can achieve what ever you want to achieve these days. Yes some have an advantage, but like anything intelligent choices and effort will get you through. Your aim is to give your chidren an advantage by working hard yourself. There is no benefit in pointing the finger at others for your own shortcomings.

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by sparkypark » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:01 pm

I agree with you broadly, RL.

I have done pretty well over decades of employment, taking advantages of opportunities. I also benefitted by support from our welfare state for a short period after I moved from an area with few opportunities to London. That allowed me to get into those good decades of tax-paying employment.

There are many people who live in areas with few opportunities and little support to help them get into work and opportunities for advancement.