Gobekli Tepe

For stuff that can only sensibly reside here. You have been warned. HERE LIVETH TROLLS!

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Gobekli Tepe

Post by rblockells » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:07 pm

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... -tepe.html

Incredible architectural discovery in South-Eastern Turkey.Undoubtably the oldest site of it's kind in the world.

How and why it was built has archeologists,historians and cosmologists baffled.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.Both ideas are overwhelming.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 pm

There's a lot of suppostion and guesswork there. Indeed the Smithsonian attach a question mark to the title. Fascinating, nonetheless. Please, please don't let Hudley know about it.

And as for German archaeological digs ...

I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

Dunc
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Dunc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Gobekli Tepe has been known about for years, I rememebr studying it at university.
'Live every week like it is shark week'

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:14 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

The Wiki page may be a little less sensationalist,and has numerous cross-references for the more scholarly amongst us...

how on earth did "primitive" people,9,000 years BC,manage to carve such elaborate designs into such massive monoliths?

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Dunc wrote:Gobekli Tepe has been known about for years, I rememebr studying it at university.
Not saying it is a "new" discovery,but it is the first i have heard of it....

What do you make of it,Dunc?

Dunc
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Dunc » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Sorry, I thought you’d posed it as a new discovery.

I think that it is a very impressive site. Our problem with understanding the Neolithic (or the Mesolithic, as some people claim this site to be) is that so little survives we cannot easily determine the skill types of the people who lived then. The two questions that stood out about the carvings at Gobekli Tepe are thus:

1. Were these types of carvings unique, or were there lots of other examples that are now lost to us?
2. Were they actually carved much later onto the standing stones?

Not many Stone Age ritualistic sites survive, from any time period or location. We know many were destroyed, the stones re-used or simply lost to us at later dates – could this account for our lack of knowledge of carved stones from the early Neolithic?

They’re not really questions we can answer, certainly not now at least. Archaeology is still very much in its infancy as a science, which is why a lot of archaeology today is non-invasive, to allow future techniques and technology a better chance of answering the questions we can’t.
'Live every week like it is shark week'

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:13 pm

It's fascinating stuff,Dunc.

there are other similar sites in various parts of the world,all equally mysterious in origin and purpose.

some examples..

Pumu Punku..Bolivia

Puerta de Hayo Parka..Peru

Carnac...Brittany

Baalbek...Lebanon

Easter Island..

deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deepseahoop » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 pm

yeah fascinating, I visited an area just North of there a few years ago called Cappadocia which has huge underground cave system once home to 40,000 fleeing Christians and amazing sandstone structures in Goreme. Didn't manage to get to Mount Nemrut unfortunately but its been there a fair bit so there is still hope and now perhaps Gobleki Tepe also. 8)
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Alien influence.

What's the point denying it? eangel
"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind".

deepseahoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deepseahoop » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:03 am

All the way, i bet they are all aligned with a particular cluster of stars on a significant date in our calendar that wasn't even thought of when they were put there...
Crying won't help you praying won't do you no good

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am

deepseahoop wrote:All the way, i bet they are all aligned with a particular cluster of stars on a significant date in our calendar that wasn't even thought of when they were put there...
Summer solstice certainly has a deep significance at Stonehenge,that much we do know.

As far as the other sites around the world,numerous theories are out there,none of which,so far,can be proved or disproved.

Some of the more outlandish theories involve star portals,energy grids and ley-lines.

Who knows? :?: :?: :?:

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 pm

rblockells wrote:Summer solstice certainly has a deep significance at Stonehenge,that much we do know.
No we 'kin don't! Well, maybe it does now for a bunch of accountants in programmers in robes and a few crusties. But when it was built, who knows?

If and when you bother to go to Stonehenge, you will at least get to see Airman's Cross: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-18568937

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Don wrote:
rblockells wrote:Summer solstice certainly has a deep significance at Stonehenge,that much we do know.
No we 'kin don't! Well, maybe it does now for a bunch of accountants in programmers in robes and a few crusties. But when it was built, who knows?

If and when you bother to go to Stonehenge, you will at least get to see Airman's Cross: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-18568937
Ahem....

When one stands within Stonehenge, facing north-east through the entrance towards the heel stone, one sees the sun rise above the stone at summer solstice.

I have visited Stonehenge on many occasions,although not at Summer solstice,when it is overrun by the types you mention.

You are fortunate in many ways,Don,to live in a part of Britain that is blessed with so much ancient history.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Arbie (© Chappers), it could be coincidence.

I am lucky on that count and, I must admit I take it for granted. I've gone through the middle of Avebury most weekdays since 1989 and now I barely notice it. On the occasions I stop to wander round it's great. Apart from @rses lying about the 'history' and that bleedin' Uther Pendragon character who claims to be king of the Druids or somesuch. Apparently councils have to consult those dodos on serious matters sometimes. Just look at the link below for an example. Grrrr. A swift kick in the love puds would sort them out. Now breathe .. and relax.

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/ ... this_week/

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Live and let live,eh Don?

Obviously,these folk are silly,but,I hazard a guess,harmless eccentrics.

Kicking 'em in the knackers would seem unneccessarily harsh,when there are oh so many more deserving of such treatment.