Palestine

For stuff that can only sensibly reside here. You have been warned. HERE LIVETH TROLLS!

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm glad you posted the above as my current position on the state of the world is I couldn't give a flying fµck about anything outside my own field of reference and am encouraging anyone who will listen not to support any charity which saves lives as the world is already overcrowded and we need less people NOT saving those whom the creator has decided in his/her/its infinite wisdom to call to their side. For approx 30 years I was all over community spirit and helping others but in recent times that spark has gone out and all I am concerned about is me and mine. Probably not a popular decision among the vast majority on here, or society as a whole, but it's how I feel at the moment.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

1 Bobby Hazell
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by 1 Bobby Hazell » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Love your honesty Esox and I've got no problem with that, we all feel 'f*ck it' sometimes and ultimately can only be really responsible (well individually anyway) for people/community close to us.

I get your whole angle on the saving lives and overcrowding thing but I wonder how you'd feel about that philosophy if you needed to raise money for an expensive life saving op for your kid/wife/parrot.
"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality" - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:32 pm

1 Bobby Hazell wrote:Love your honesty Esox and I've got no problem with that, we all feel 'f*ck it' sometimes and ultimately can only be really responsible (well individually anyway) for people/community close to us.

I get your whole angle on the saving lives and overcrowding thing but I wonder how you'd feel about that philosophy if you needed to raise money for an expensive life saving op for your kid/wife/parrot.
Must be an age thing. I would prefer to think back on all the good stuff that happened and celebrate my/their passing rather than prolong what is marked out for me/ them. I didn't always feel like that and death used to bother me a lot but growing up in the 60's & 70's watching great music and football, all the travelling around the world, the great and not so great people I have met along my journey make me think that if I went today I would have had a good crack at it. I AM grateful for my life.
If anyone turns up I want "Comfortably Numb" played on a kickass sound system just as I am being taken to my final destination because if that doesn't make the hairs on the back of neck stick up then I am definitely dead. :D

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:I'm glad you posted the above as my current position on the state of the world is I couldn't give a flying fµck about anything outside my own field of reference and am encouraging anyone who will listen not to support any charity which saves lives as the world is already overcrowded and we need less people NOT saving those whom the creator has decided in his/her/its infinite wisdom to call to their side. For approx 30 years I was all over community spirit and helping others but in recent times that spark has gone out and all I am concerned about is me and mine. Probably not a popular decision among the vast majority on here, or society as a whole, but it's how I feel at the moment.
Now are you being honest or attempting ironic humour?

Whichever, you've left out those who "care" but whose only contribution to society or those suffering brought about by that "caring" is to talk about it without actually helping anybody or anything. That should maybe be called something other than "caring"?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:34 pm

That was honesty but not sure to whom you are addressing? Years ago I was altruistic and spent many hours serving my local community which I found rewarding but was I subconsciously saving my soul? I can't honestly answer that but my actions helped others as I saw it. Approval from my peers? almost certainly; the significance of that? who can judge? I still gain a vicarious pleasure from helping others but the cloud that hovers over that help is the pleasure I receive. Selfish? probably.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:14 am

Esox Lucius wrote:That was honesty but not sure to whom you are addressing? Years ago I was altruistic and spent many hours serving my local community which I found rewarding but was I subconsciously saving my soul? I can't honestly answer that but my actions helped others as I saw it. Approval from my peers? almost certainly; the significance of that? who can judge? I still gain a vicarious pleasure from helping others but the cloud that hovers over that help is the pleasure I receive. Selfish? probably.
I suppose you could say altruism panders to our beliefs/hopes in some kind of after-life (with judgements/rewards/punishments)? Some might say they hold no such hopes but then what is the point of hanging around (for a maximum 120 years?) on a tiny planet in a small solar system in the corner of a smallish galaxy among billions of other galaxies where the spaces between galaxies are bigger than many galaxies all in a universe that is billions of years old? Biology? Genetics? A few fleeting physical pleasures?

And you left out the major "approval of" factor --- parents. It's a rare person (however old they might be) who doesn't want their mummy and/or daddy (living or dead) to be proud of them.

I dunno if there is a god but if there is, he seems to be a bit crafty.