Wonders of the Universe!

For stuff that can only sensibly reside here. You have been warned. HERE LIVETH TROLLS!

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Spiritof76
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Wonders of the Universe!

Post by Spiritof76 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Interesting images from the Hubble telescope - just a reminder of how small we really are! If mankind could see beyond their own ego's just for a few minutes, perhaps we really could make this a better world?

http://news.sky.com/story/989556/hubble ... -night-sky
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Wonders of the Universe!

Post by DAVEf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Spiritof76 wrote:Interesting images from the Hubble telescope - just a reminder of how small we really are! If mankind could see beyond their own ego's just for a few minutes, perhaps we really could make this a better world?

http://news.sky.com/story/989556/hubble ... -night-sky
Although if there was some kind of realisation that we were (apparently, because I really have no idea or blind faith) insignificant in the enormousness of it all, what place would there be for altruism and morality etc.

Spiritof76
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Spiritof76 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Indeed DaveF, and where does Simon Cowell fit in all of this?
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:47 am

Fantastic pictures,taken a long time for the light to reach us.How much more is out there that the light from which has only just left home?The known universe must be very small compared to the unknown universe.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.Both ideas are overwhelming.

Spiritof76
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Spiritof76 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I actually saw a similar image in a book I picked up in Waterstone's. It was so incredibly beautiful and somewhat mind blowing by just how vast and far away it was, I actually burst out laughing! Oddly at that moment, I sort of understood why the Buddha has a smile on his face! 8)

ramrod
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by ramrod » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:56 pm

rblockells wrote:Fantastic pictures,taken a long time for the light to reach us.How much more is out there that the light from which has only just left home?The known universe must be very small compared to the unknown universe.
Does time really exist ?

I have these pictures saved on my picture hub on my titan. Beautiful.
Not so bad living in the Shadows.

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:06 am

ramrod wrote:
rblockells wrote:Fantastic pictures,taken a long time for the light to reach us.How much more is out there that the light from which has only just left home?The known universe must be very small compared to the unknown universe.
Does time really exist ?
I have these pictures saved on my picture hub on my titan. Beautiful.
good question.

cosmologically speaking,time cannot exist without space,nor space without time.hence the space/time continuum.

furthermore IF the universe has an edge,are we near the edge?if so which edge?or are we in or near the centre?

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 am

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=yo ... 8K9I&gl=GB

All about perspective.

(But beating Arsenal on Saturday is more important)

Spiritof76
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Spiritof76 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 pm

It remains pretty awe inspiring out there...

http://jtintle.wordpress.com/tag/n90/

And meanwhile back here on planet earth... :( as evidenced by some of the topics above!

Virginia_R

Post by Virginia_R » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:48 pm

Just to give you an insight on some of the stuff I work - I was (and still are) involved with this project, the Andromeda Galaxy as observed in the far-infrared (red) and X-ray (blue) by Herschel and Chandra, respectively:

The red colours traces dust - and by extension star formation and the spiral arms. The blue points are sites of supernova explosions (and black holes, for the most part). Andromeda's spiral structure is warped, due to a close interaction with another galaxy, Triangulum, which severely disrupted Andromeda.

Spiritof76
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Spiritof76 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Welcome back Virginia, another awesome image, and an incredible project to be involved in. How I wish I had been clever enough to have become an astronomer. Twas my dream when I gazed at the moon through my shaky little refractor telescope purchased from the window of the Army & Navy store in Croydon,when I was 9 years old!

And I got thinking, how much Carl Sagan would have enjoyed what we are seeing today transmitted from Hubble? Although of course he didn't have to see deep space in such detail to know what was there. If people would just look up and ponder on what is out there, perhaps they wouldn't feel it necessary to kill each other over small tracts of land on this planet!

And more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

JH
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by JH » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:59 am

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone watching this video see a QPR win coming our milky way?