Match thread: Reading - QPR

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

IJM
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Match thread: Reading - QPR

Post by IJM » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:45 pm

222gers wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:13 pm
A very good point away to a side pushing for promotion although in the end slightly disappointed we didn't win.
Very pleased for Dykes. A shame the international break is here just as he has hit form.
Ha ha, I'm sorry mate and don't wish to sound disrespectful, but to say "he has hit form" is stretching it a bit. Yes I was pleased he scored, but his overall play is so poor and I hope we are able to move him on in the summer.

I was at Burton a few years back when we achieved an unexpected 3-1 win with Oteh and Washington score (I think Luongo got the other). On that day I was pleased for Conor and 3 points, but I never considered that he had 'hit form' because he got on the scoresheet. I was pleased he was moved on too - so let's not get carried away.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:24 pm

IJM wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:45 pm
222gers wrote:
A very good point away to a side pushing for promotion although in the end slightly disappointed we didn't win.
Very pleased for Dykes. A shame the international break is here just as he has hit form.
Ha ha, I'm sorry mate and don't wish to sound disrespectful, but to say "he has hit form" is stretching it a bit. Yes I was pleased he scored, but his overall play is so poor and I hope we are able to move him on in the summer.

I was at Burton a few years back when we achieved an unexpected 3-1 win with Oteh and Washington score (I think Luongo got the other). On that day I was pleased for Conor and 3 points, but I never considered that he had 'hit form' because he got on the scoresheet. I was pleased he was moved on too - so let's not get carried away.
I'm surprised you think Dykes was poor today. I, and the Rs fans I know, think he not only played well today but also think he was good v Millwall.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:40 pm

Dykes has played well of late and even scored today.

But is that enough to justify his place in the team bearing in mind he wears the number 9 shirt?

IJM
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by IJM » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:46 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:24 pm
IJM wrote:
222gers wrote:

I'm surprised you think Dykes was poor today. I, and the Rs fans I know, think he not only played well today but also think he was good v Millwall.
Ok, maybe he has had two reasonable games, still a very poor return on investment - I would want a lot more from him to convince me he is worthy of a place in the first 11.

IJM
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by IJM » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:46 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:40 pm

But is that enough to justify his place in the team bearing in mind he wears the number 9 shirt?
Exactly - agree 100%.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:46 pm

IJM wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:46 pm
Ok, maybe he has had two reasonable games, still a very poor return on investment - I would want a lot more from him to convince me he is worthy of a place in the first 11.
There are plenty of players who've had a poor first season for a club to have gone on to be good, even great players. Les Ferdinand is one of note. Now I don't think Dykes will turn out to be a second sir Les, but we could do worse than give the lad a chance to show what he might achieve.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:32 pm

He's been better since he dyed his Barnet. Seriously though he was decent against Millwall and better today. Apart from the goal, his workrate was high and quite a number of headed flick-ons.
Nothing sensational but a move in the right direction. MW seems to have been very patient with him and I hope it pays off.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:19 am

dm wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:46 pm
IJM wrote:
There are plenty of players who've had a poor first season for a club to have gone on to be good, even great players. Les Ferdinand is one of note. Now I don't think Dykes will turn out to be a second sir Les, but we could do worse than give the lad a chance to show what he might achieve.
Lyndon has had far more game time than Sir Les ever did early in his Rangers career. Send him out on loan next season.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:19 am

Rbee wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:19 am
Lyndon has had far more game time than Sir Les ever did early in his Rangers career. Send him out on loan next season.
I can't see Dykes going out on loan next season. Bonne, maybe. Kelman, possibly.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:28 am

IJM wrote:
dm wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:24 pm
IJM wrote:

This is his first season at this level. It often takes players time to find their feet. of course we live in a society that wants instant gratification, so time is rarely given.

There have been glimpses of something, and of course 6 goals. He can take a penalty, and who knew about his long throws. As his confidence grows, I think he will be a valuable asset to the team. As for him moving on in the summer ... there is more chance of me signing for QPR, and I'm 63.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:51 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:40 pm

Agreed, I'm nowhere near convinced by Dykes.

He has 2 things going for him, first he's a genial character who seems to get on with the rest
of the squad and secondly he has an interesting back story being a fair dinkum Aussie from
the Gold Coast hence the media interest and 2 high-ish profile write ups.

2 goals from open play all season is a disgrace, add to that his painful lack of pace and a
real dearth of technical ability [no 1st touch and not much of a 2nd one either]

I know Ivan Toney's not everybody's cup of tea but consider he was playing League 1 footy last season
and also the fact he's scored 28 goals with 9 assists to boot!

Just having a good long throw isn't enough to justify wearing the no 9 shirt.
Staff Benda Bilili

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:53 pm

222gers wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:32 pm
MW seems to have been very patient with him and I hope it pays off.
I mean, he doesn't really have many other options does he? Bonne doesn't exactly instill confidence and Kelman's fresh.