Safe ?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Danish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Safe ?

Post by Danish Ranger » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:22 am

After the brilliant comeback against Millwall, I will take the risk and claim, that we are guaranteed one more season of championship football

The bottom three are on absolutely awful loosing runs and I simply can't see Rotherham - even with games in hand - closing a gap of 17 points

My hope for the remaining 10 games is, that we will be able to continue our 2021 form and finish in the top half

We have been punching above our weight this season. Well done aniclap

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Safe ?

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:16 am

Agreed, losing 40+ goals out of last years team and our talisman player felt like surviving relegation would be a job well done whilst we build back up. A top half finish is beyond unexpected IMO. Well done to the manager and his players, along with some astute loan signings in January.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:46 am

Agreed - echo all of that.

Looking forward to seeing the development of our players through pre-season, whether we hold on to Austin of Johansen permanently and what other young players come through our system, not to mention any other signings.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:55 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:46 am

Looking forward to seeing the development of our players through pre-season, whether we hold on to Austin of Johansen permanently and what other young players come through our system, not to mention any other signings.
Agreed. Everyone at the club has approached the task ahead of them well. However, one thing I would like us to do better next season is to beat the fit teams who play at a high tempo. We need to change our game against them.
Come on you Sooopa ........

notlob66
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by notlob66 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:24 pm

If Covid isn’t an issue next season we will not see 3 substitutes coming on at the hour mark to bolster other teams high tempo shutting down approach.

bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:18 pm

old pauline wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:55 pm
Devonranger wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:46 am

Agreed. Everyone at the club has approached the task ahead of them well. However, one thing I would like us to do better next season is to beat the fit teams who play at a high tempo. We need to change our game against them.
As it happens, I couldn't disagree more - to my mind this is exactly what we have done wrong in a few games and against Barnsley is probably the best (worst?) example.

By all means be aware of how other teams play and plan how you intend to counter facets of their play but trying to completely change your own system and style to match them and not playing to your own strengths very rarely works IMHO.

For example, if you know the other team has a playmaker who likes to sit in the middle of the park and spray passes around you may decide to put a man-marker onto them whose role is to ensure they do not have any time on the ball.

With a high energy team like Barnsley (think Wimbledon of the 1980's) you can try to mimic their game and hit long balls and run around a lot but of course they are well versed in playing that way as that is what they have been practicising and are surely more likely to succeed...

However by playing to our own strengths, in our case more of a possession game, we could perhaps have made them work and chase shadows and then seen a very different game.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:44 pm

We have the points on the board and are playing well so we are safe.

Warburton has already talked about next season and the need for good recruitment. We can keep Field and Wijs if he isn't too injury prone. We have to assume that we will lose Austin and Johansen so a striker is a priority followed by a midfielder and a replacement for BOS with pace.