Gallen urges QPR owners to ‘have a right go’ next season

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Gallen urges QPR owners to ‘have a right go’ next season

Post by dm » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Kevin Gallen thinks with a bit of investment we could push for a top six place next season: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/gal ... ext-season

I must confess I have been thinking the same thing recently. Given our recent form, I daresay others have too.

I think Gallen has it about right. These are huge 'ifs' but if we could retain the current loan players; if we could keep Dieng, Dickie and Chair; if we could bring in a new left wing back (maybe even a right wing back too), we might just have squad able to mount a decent challenge on the top six.

I am aware of all the issues that would be involved in achieving all this, particularly the financial commitment required. However, I'd be surprised if the board didn't at least consider these options.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Gallen urges QPR owners to ‘have a right go’ next season

Post by old pauline » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:24 pm

Well recent history very much suggests that we actually fare better when expectations are reined in such as when Olly took us over without a pot to piss in and when Warnock took us from nowhere to the Prem - whereas we don't seem to do so well when we get ahead of ourselves.

So personally I'd be happy for us to continue along the same vein with 3 or so astute acquisitions each window.
Come on you Sooopa ........

notlob66
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by notlob66 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:07 am

I’d be elated if we bought all our loanees and not sell anyone

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:41 pm

We need more goalscorers in the team no matter who is here next season. Personally, I'd be happy enough worrying the top ten.
Last edited by Damien on Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm

I've thought about this again and I continue to want to see us evolving and not necessarily throwing money at big signings for a quick fix. If the decent players are out there in our price bracket then by all means get them in but personally I don't have any issues with us capping wages for contracted players.
Come on you Sooopa ........

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:45 pm

old pauline wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm
I've thought about this again and I continue to want to see us evolving and not necessarily throwing money at big signings for a quick fix. If the decent players are out there in our price bracket then by all means get them in but personally I don't have any issues with us capping wages for contracted players.
I do agree with you and wasn't suggesting we should go back to the bad old days of spaffing money up the wall. We've shown we can find real bargains - Chris Willock for £750k and Rod Dickie for £1.8m last summer are two good examples.

It's been said our wage structure is the 5th lowest in the league. I can't see us being able to change that any time soon, nor should we.

The biggest challenge will be retaining Austin and Johansen should we have the chance. As others have pointed out, their wages will be multiple times what we pay our players. As much as I'd like to see them play for us next season, they may simply be unaffordable.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:58 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:45 pm
old pauline wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm
I do agree with you and wasn't suggesting we should go back to the bad old days of spaffing money up the wall. We've shown we can find real bargains - Chris Willock for £750k and Rod Dickie for £1.8m last summer are two good examples.

It's been said our wage structure is the 5th lowest in the league. I can't see us being able to change that any time soon, nor should we.

The biggest challenge will be retaining Austin and Johansen should we have the chance. As others have pointed out, their wages will be multiple times what we pay our players. As much as I'd like to see them play for us next season, they may simply be unaffordable.
As it is accepted that Austin and Johansen's arrival was the catalyst for our relatively good run if we cannot get them for next season then we must find their replacements which I would suggest will not be easy otherwise we are back to square one. Also would it not be helpful to have players who can cross a ball on a regular basis without hitting the first defender.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:32 am

QPR_John wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:58 pm
As it is accepted that Austin and Johansen's arrival was the catalyst for our relatively good run if we cannot get them for next season then we must find their replacements which I would suggest will not be easy otherwise we are back to square one. Also would it not be helpful to have players who can cross a ball on a regular basis without hitting the first defender.
If we can't retain Austin I think a replacement would be needed. Warburton has recently spoken of the need for pace in our attack so maybe that's a hint at his plans.

If we can't retain Johansen, together with signing Field, sticking with Carroll, Ball, Amos and Bettache in CM wouldn't be too bad.

Even with the improvements we've seen by Kane and Wallace, I agree with you regarding our crossing and would like to see both positions strengthened.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:33 pm

I'd love to keep Austin & Johansen, but the reality is they're still in contract with their parent clubs who are about to get relegated. If those players are doing a job in the Championship, they're unlikely to let them go.