Fancy playing at the KPF stadium...?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Fancy playing at the KPF stadium...?

Post by Stateside Ranger » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:31 pm

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to actually play in a match at Loftus Road? Something on the bucket list or ‘things I’ve always wanted to do’?

I’m a middling weekly 5-a-side player in my late 30’s who has discovered a website that organises small 11-a-side tournaments at professional stadiums across the country. It’s not cheap (£1500 per team) and I simply don’t have enough footballing mates that would be prepared to stump up the money to play a match at Loftus Road as most don’t support QPR.

Which is why I wanted to test whether I could form a scratch team of QPR fans via fan forums to enter the tournament. I’m not offering training or tactics or anything other than organising the chance to play at the KPF in May for around £150 (exact date and amount TBC) as a one-off. If this sounds interesting please send me a private message. The only criteria is being serious enough to pay an equal share of the entry fee, the fitness to last 2 or 3x 20-minute matches on a full size pitch, and a preferred position in a team.

Equally if by some chance you know of a team that might be able to squeeze a super sub in to make up the numbers, also let me know! Thanks.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Fancy playing at the KPF stadium...?

Post by SM » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:24 am

Yep, it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.

100% in for this.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:21 am

My sense of the demographic on this board tells me that most of our playing days are long since over. If indeed they ever began.

If you can screen your game on iFollow though, I'm sure there'll be plenty of us more than willing to tell you where you're going wrong :wink:

I managed a game on the artificial turf at HQ back in the day. Man of the match too, if I'm not mistaken. Although my memory's not what it was.

Good luck with it.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:36 pm

Yes, I think most of us are well past it. I was put out to graze many years ago.

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Stateside Ranger » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. SM have made a note of your interest so will reach out if/when I get enough numbers (have also posted the original message on LoftforWords).

There’s no particular structure to this so it’s an open invitation to friends / family members who might want to say they’ve played at Loftus Road. Just contact me on here via message.

Will post an update either way whether this can go ahead in a few weeks.

bwhoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by bwhoops » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:05 pm

222gers wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:36 pm
Yes, I think most of us are well past it. I was put out to graze many years ago.
Me too! I gave up playing about 15 years ago.

... I guess I might be fit enough to do 100 laps with a walking frame if someone wants to sponsor me!

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Stateside Ranger wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:31 pm
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to actually play in a match at Loftus Road? Something on the bucket list or ‘things I’ve always wanted to do’?

I’m a middling weekly 5-a-side player in my late 30’s who has discovered a website that organises small 11-a-side tournaments at professional stadiums across the country. It’s not cheap (£1500 per team) and I simply don’t have enough footballing mates that would be prepared to stump up the money to play a match at Loftus Road as most don’t support QPR.

Which is why I wanted to test whether I could form a scratch team of QPR fans via fan forums to enter the tournament. I’m not offering training or tactics or anything other than organising the chance to play at the KPF in May for around £150 (exact date and amount TBC) as a one-off. If this sounds interesting please send me a private message. The only criteria is being serious enough to pay an equal share of the entry fee, the fitness to last 2 or 3x 20-minute matches on a full size pitch, and a preferred position in a team.

Equally if by some chance you know of a team that might be able to squeeze a super sub in to make up the numbers, also let me know! Thanks.
I'm guessing COVID might mean May doesn't work ...

But I would be up for this, and can run around for that long.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:48 pm

bwhoops wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:05 pm
222gers wrote:

... I guess I might be fit enough to do 100 laps with a walking frame if someone wants to sponsor me!

15? Nearer 40 for me.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:33 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:48 pm
bwhoops wrote:
222gers wrote:

15? Nearer 40 for me.
I think my peak was about 40 years ago too. Maybe we could arrange a grudge match against the Chelsea Pensioners?

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:54 pm

DroopStreetOldBoys wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:33 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:48 pm
bwhoops wrote:

15? Nearer 40 for me.
I think my peak was about 40 years ago too. Maybe we could arrange a grudge match against the Chelsea Pensioners?
Or a walking football match - with special dispensation for Zimmer frames.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Stateside Ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Stateside Ranger » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:50 pm

An update:
Thanks very much for everyone that expressed interest in this.
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get enough firm interest to pay the deposit and register a team.
However I’m sure another event will be organised in future and with some more notice I’m sure there will be enough numbers and will post on here again.
Cheers all.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:53 pm

Would definitely be interested if they let 49 year olds have a runaround .... still do coaching for my lad's under 13s team (barring the break for covid) - still love playing the game.