Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Brentford

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

guyrob07
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Brentford

Post by guyrob07 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:47 pm

Completely agree, everyone deserves a mentioned but it's that one moment of pace and skill that can open up most Championship teams, the Brentford team couldn't recover after he took out 2/3 of their players. He then had the sense to not get caught offside and allow the overlapping player to take on the cross. Which all resulted in the opening goal, what a clean strike of the ball that was!

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:28 pm

Definitely agreed that quality is needed.

Took a quick peek over in the Brentford forums and was amazed that they were talking about is us practising the dark arts and that they should have taken out Willcock on the half way line, and they should take this up as well.

Am I completely deranged and just imagine that they spoil when not in possession? Canos took one of our players out trying to break from our area with the ball and didn't even get a talking to - second half he was grabbing someone's shirt down in their left back area. Toney and their front players never make a clean jump with defenders - always pushing and pulling.

Add to that the consisting shouting from their bench at the ref encouraging players to be booked/sent off.

What bus stop are they living on?

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:40 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:35 am
Think you could shout out to pretty much all the players although the cameo from Chris Willock did show some potential skill and footwork - bit of pace too.
Why isn't he starting every match? Certainly good enough for the team.
Staff Benda Bilili

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:07 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:40 pm
Devonranger wrote:
Think you could shout out to pretty much all the players although the cameo from Chris Willock did show some potential skill and footwork - bit of pace too.
Given we’ve won 5 out of 6 I think the manager is the man to make those decisions.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:28 pm

Took a quick peek over in the Brentford forums and was amazed that they were talking about is us practising the dark arts and that they should have taken out Willcock on the half way line, and they should take this up as well.

Am I completely deranged and just imagine that they spoil when not in possession? Canos took one of our players out trying to break from our area with the ball and didn't even get a talking to - second half he was grabbing someone's shirt down in their left back area. Toney and their front players never make a clean jump with defenders - always pushing and pulling.

Add to that the consisting shouting from their bench at the ref encouraging players to be booked/sent off.

Yes, indeed Devonranger. They were no shrinking violets; Toney in particular.

I'm not unhappy they think we indulged in some dark arts. We've been too much the other way with our squad of young players. The experienced bods are now showing the youngsters some of the necessary ways to win that perhaps they weren't well practiced in. Not that I want us to be a dirty team. We just have to use some nous as other teams do.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:44 pm

Devonranger wrote:

Should they ever manage to get promoted to the Premier League, they will find VAR is not their friend. For supposedly one of the best teams in the Championship, I thought they looked bang average across both games they played against us. Purely from a football point of view they are not as good as they were last season. What they do have is a blunt instrument in Ivan Toney who has blagged his way to 24 goals, that is what has taken them into the top two positions.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:56 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:07 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:40 pm
Devonranger wrote:
Given we’ve won 5 out of 6 I think the manager is the man to make those decisions.
Given also that he helped turn the game against very decent opposition gives the question legitimacy.
Staff Benda Bilili

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:43 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:44 pm
Devonranger wrote:

Should they ever manage to get promoted to the Premier League, they will find VAR is not their friend. For supposedly one of the best teams in the Championship, I thought they looked bang average across both games they played against us. Purely from a football point of view they are not as good as they were last season. What they do have is a blunt instrument in Ivan Toney who has blagged his way to 24 goals, that is what has taken them into the top two positions.
I wonder what the future's brewing regarding game management, dark arts etc. Part of me is glad we aren't as naive as we were but if all teams are allowed to get away with it the game won't be worth watching. If you go behind to teams like preston, it's a nightmare. Surely the authorities will get a grip on it eventually.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:48 pm

Isn't it interesting, we were all talking about how we were in dire need of fullbacks and Kane and Wallace came through yesterday.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:05 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:48 pm
Isn't it interesting, we were all talking about how we were in dire need of fullbacks and Kane and Wallace came through yesterday.
Thinking the same thing.....

The usual faces saying how bad both players were and it's almost like it's spurred them on....

The "Hollywood" pass from Kane and cutback from Wallace for Charlie's goal was so satisfying!
2020/2021.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:26 pm

Won't someone think of poor old Steptoe? He must be close to an aneurysm after 5 wins out of 6. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

patrickqpr
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by patrickqpr » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:02 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:26 pm
Won't someone think of poor old Steptoe? He must be close to an aneurysm after 5 wins out of 6. :D
:lol:

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:08 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:26 pm
Very funny! aniclap
Question everything.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:56 am

Thought both full backs came through a tough task with credit - Kane was always going to have a difficult time with both Canos and Henry coming down that flank but he stuck to it.

I do think that like the full backs, both Bonne and Dykes will come good as signings - juat need to give them time.

I think the backroom set up for the club with Warbs, Eustace, Banfield and co along with Les, Lee Hos and the owners is as good as we have had it for some time.

Now on to Bournemouth- got me thinking about Esox - am sure he would like to give 'Arry a warm socially distanced welcome back for all he has done for the club ....

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:38 am

Devonranger wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:56 am
Thought both full backs came through a tough task with credit - Kane was always going to have a difficult time with both Canos and Henry coming down that flank but he stuck to it.

I do think that like the full backs, both Bonne and Dykes will come good as signings - juat need to give them time.

I think the backroom set up for the club with Warbs, Eustace, Banfield and co along with Les, Lee Hos and the owners is as good as we have had it for some time.

Now on to Bournemouth- got me thinking about Esox - am sure he would like to give 'Arry a warm socially distanced welcome back for all he has done for the club ....
Will his knees be up to it?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.