Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Brentford

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Brentford

Post by QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:21 am

Devonranger wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:53 pm
I am confident that we will still see the best of both Bonne and Dykes and we just need to be patient with them. Perhaps a better environment for them to develop in.
I had quite high hopes for Dykes when he signed...he’s just not been good enough at this level. Plus to be fair we can’t exactly say he hasn’t been given a fair chance as he’s started in most games! He’s great at taking penalties for sure but apart from that he’s not shown much else! Obviously this is just my opinion and feel free to disagree 😛
CMON U SUPPA HOOOPSA!!!!

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:22 am

I am hoping that a better environment - in terms of the better results and new additions to our ranks, might help. He has had a fair amount of game time but possibly also the responsibility for getting the goals the team needed - think the confidence is missing with both him and to a lesser degree Bonne.

His time with Scotland has probably not helped us but does his capabilities. It will take a bit of time but I hope the club stick with him.

bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:20 am

I had quite high hopes for Dykes when he signed...he’s just not been good enough at this level. Plus to be fair we can’t exactly say he hasn’t been given a fair chance as he’s started in most games! He’s great at taking penalties for sure but apart from that he’s not shown much else! Obviously this is just my opinion and feel free to disagree 😛
[/quote]

OK - then I disagree. :)

For some reason, and I am assuming it must be tactical, we are not playing many balls into the opposition's penalty area in the first half of games so there is little for Austin or Dykes to feed on as forwards. They are both putting in good shifts trying to get involved, typically with Charlie playing deep and Lyndon running across the front line to disrupt the defence.

Dykes is then taken off a few minutes into the second half and we then start playing the ball in to the box to create the chances that forwards need.

I don't think Dykes is getting enough recognition of the work he is actually doing.

I work like to know the stats for yesterday and how many times the ball was in the Bournemouth penalty area in the first half compared with the second half.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:39 am

It's not only balls into the box that Dykes needs, it's runners going past him picking up headers and touches on. That's what he does effectively for Scotland but sadly not for us.