Macaulay Bonne

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Macaulay Bonne

Post by beaglebum » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:25 am

Apparently Bonne was booked last night for excessive goal celebrations.

There's a picture of him on twitter lifting his shirt up with the message underneath RIP Sis I Miss You x

In that case, how pathetic for him being booked. But secondly it goes to show that there are more important things in life than football and the abuse he has got recently for poor performances may be very harsh under the circumstances and if anything he should be applauded for carrying on.

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Macaulay Bonne

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:13 pm

I thought it was a pathetic decision to give a card. It wasn't time wasting, there was no crowd to incite an, as"FIFA expect all match officials to display relative common sense in officiating the game. As such, football referee rules extend to interpreting the extent of unsporting and excessive football goal celebrations" there was really no need for it.

Monkey
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Monkey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:34 pm

It’s probably just easier to give a blanket yellow for displaying a message on a t-shirt, rather than having to regulate the content of the message and decide what’s allowed
If you had a million Shakespeares, could they write like a monkey?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:05 pm

It is stupid, i think the rule is there so the precious sponsors don't miss out. The ref looked somewhat apologetic i thought. Unfortunately, they don't have a choice in the matter.

Imo a better system would be to have the ref only book if he deems it time waisting then have the FA review content or incitement and act accordingly but that isn't likely to happen.

bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:11 pm

The rule was brought in because so many players were taking their shirts off or lifting them to display messages which were sometimes political or contentious in some way.

I tend to think a blanket ban was the correct course rather than the alternative approach of trying to judge each case separately which would have resulted in confusion as well as some players deliberately using it to highlight their particular issue or passion.

In Bonne's case he presumably decided beforehand that he could handle a yellow card given he is not getting that much playing time - I don't know if the club also reviews cards.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:49 pm

It has been a rule for a long time. Players know that if they lift their shirt to show a message they're going to get booked, so he did so knowingly.

the big IP
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by the big IP » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:39 pm

When Billy Sharp's son passed away. I think he scored and took his shirt off.

The referee didn't book him thank god.

Could you have imagined the outcry ?