Same old same old

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

rtastic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Same old same old

Post by rtastic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:33 pm

Good approach play, can't put the ball in the back of the net.Big gamble on Charlie Austin has he still got it I hope so, and an unproven winger from Charlton? Hope it works out.
I think the team are trying to play for Warburton because he has football principles, but for all our possession we still do not create and stick it in the back of the net.
Said to my Fulham mate today yes we will look good but we will lose says it all really.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Same old same old

Post by Damien » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:18 am

rtastic wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:33 pm
Good approach play, can't put the ball in the back of the net.Big gamble on Charlie Austin has he still got it I hope so, and an unproven winger from Charlton? Hope it works out.
I think the team are trying to play for Warburton because he has football principles, but for all our possession we still do not create and stick it in the back of the net.
Said to my Fulham mate today yes we will look good but we will lose says it all really.
Time for pretty football to be put on the back-burner for a while. Basic winning football is what is needed now. MW must realise he is on borrowed time...same for Les unfortunately.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:50 am

I'll take being shot down in flames here but I think we need to stick with this project - going to take some time to bring the ship round.

Not gone to plan possibly with the contract situation with BOS but we do have three (Dykes,Bonne and Kelman) of our own strikers, with D and B having found the net, just not as frequently so far. Sure they can score goals at this level but difficult when you are relying on them without back up - hopefully this is where Charlie comes in.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 am

Damien wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:18 am
rtastic wrote:
Time for pretty football to be put on the back-burner for a while. Basic winning football is what is needed now. MW must realise he is on borrowed time...same for Les unfortunately.
Why? because you said so?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:22 am

Devonranger wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:50 am
I'll take being shot down in flames here but I think we need to stick with this project - going to take some time to bring the ship round.

Not gone to plan possibly with the contract situation with BOS but we do have three (Dykes,Bonne and Kelman) of our own strikers, with D and B having found the net, just not as frequently so far. Sure they can score goals at this level but difficult when you are relying on them without back up - hopefully this is where Charlie comes in.
Won't get shot down by me. QPR have set their stall out for the future and the fans need to get behind it and not scream for a sacking every time there is a setback. It's no wonder DQPR is such a well known soubriquet. I hope MW gets a new 3-5 year contract to see if we can operate within our means. If sacking the manager worked for us we'd be EPL champs and EC winners.
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 pm

Damien wrote:
Time for pretty football to be put on the back-burner for a while. Basic winning football is what is needed now.
I'm sure we'd all like a winning team. What would constitute "basic" football though ?

Big tough lads, 442, knocking it in the channels and kicking lumps out of people ?

Even if you wanted to do that, I doubt we have the players for it. Changing the manager won't change that. And if we did play that way and were sitting in 15th, people would be complaining about not playing the "QPR way" and the lack of entertainment.

By "pretty" football, I presume you mean trying to get the ball down and pass it around. Most of the successful teams in this division and above play exactly that way. They're just better at putting the ball in the net.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:02 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 pm
Damien wrote:
Time for pretty football to be put on the back-burner for a while. Basic winning football is what is needed now.
I'm sure we'd all like a winning team. What would constitute "basic" football though ?

Big tough lads, 442, knocking it in the channels and kicking lumps out of people ?

Even if you wanted to do that, I doubt we have the players for it. Changing the manager won't change that. And if we did play that way and were sitting in 15th, people would be complaining about not playing the "QPR way" and the lack of entertainment.

By "pretty" football, I presume you mean trying to get the ball down and pass it around. Most of the successful teams in this division and above play exactly that way. They're just better at putting the ball in the net.
Agree with this - even conversion of a small percentage of chances we have created this season would have seen the team better placed and probably playing with more confidence.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:59 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 pm
Damien wrote:

Getting the basics right all over the pitch...which includes putting the ball in the net. Being tougher mentally and physically. Possession of the ball for long periods of a game has to have an end product. Entertainment is secondary at the moment to results unfortunately. And I never said I wanted the manager changed - I would be chuffed if he turns it around actually. He has another chance now with some new additions...he needs to make it work.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:06 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 am
Damien wrote:
rtastic wrote:
Just stating the reality of the situation. Nothing would please me more than to see MW turn this around. But of course you have to be deliberately obnoxious and turn it into personal affront. Nice to know that in these current times, there are still some things we can rely on.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:22 pm

The problem is that - in my view - we are doing everything right except the scoring part. There's no real need to change anything else, but if we could just get someone like Austin to convert the chances we create, we would be sitting in 12th position and there would be no drama.

'Pretty football' is what every other Championship club apart from us was able to do in the last few years, until Warburton arrived. Even during our PL years, it was plain that we were unable to pass the ball out of defence competently, and only at the start of last season did we manage to crack this. Yes, we also conceded a lot of goals, but that's an acceptable price if you are introducing a new playing style. With Dieng, we have a keeper who is more confident with this style, and we have improved defensively.

It's all too easy to make simplistic criticisms - we're all guilty of it because we share the huge frustration of watching our team struggle.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:38 pm

Tend to agree which is why I hope we continue with our interest in Glenn Murray.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:04 pm

Damien wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:06 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 am
Damien wrote:
Just stating the reality of the situation. Nothing would please me more than to see MW turn this around. But of course you have to be deliberately obnoxious and turn it into personal affront. Nice to know that in these current times, there are still some things we can rely on.
The reality of the situation is something you continuously overlook. MW is the lowest paid manager we have had this century, he is part of a project to try to make the club self sufficient, he lost the core of the attacking team we had for most of the season and has had to replace it with shots in the dark that are hoped will bring in revenue after 100-150 games. All this "have to win at Luton" is risible, they have one of the best home records this season and recently beat Norwich there. I will be just as frustrated if we play well and get nothing there but I won't be calling for the managers head, or any other member of the staff. A fans job is support the club, something else you seem to continuously overlook. Try and support the team through thick and thin instead of being in the forefront of the moaners.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Agreed. This is one of many difficult times for the club but I think we do need to stick by Warbs here - I think we do move the ball about well and create chances - once we get a bit of consistency in tucking those away, the confidence will be there.

If we ditch Warbs at this point, it will just be back to the drawing board.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 am

We won at Luton but I agree that we have basically been playing OK. We outplayed a premiership side on Saturday, and only our finishing let us down. We pushed Norwich and Bournemouth hard, too.
Besides, as Esox says, MW's main mission is to make the on-pitch operations sustainable, or at least somewhat sustainable. In that context, he doesn't really need us to move up the table in the medium term, as long as we ensure safety from relegation.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:47 pm

I thought some of the football we played last night (albeit against a very poor Luton team) was superb. Passing and movement was excellent, and we didn't really seem to be in trouble at any stage. Mind you that shot which hit our cross bar was a bit tasty. It probably summed Luton up though - it was not going to be their night. We've had a few of those too.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.