Charlie Austin on loan

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 21572
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:24 am

It appears that most have forgotten just how poor he has looked on the pitch these last 2 seasons and unless it is sum commensurate with what we are paying Dykes and Bonne then I am out. If we were getting the CA that we had for a couple of seasons then I would be in the vanguard clamouring for his return but, coupled with his injury record, this looks like a bad choice for the club. As mentioned above, get someone popular in to shut the fans up as they can't see further than the end of their noses.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor
Posts: 4665
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:35 pm
Location: High Barnet

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by wrinklyhoop » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:50 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:24 am
It appears that most have forgotten just how poor he has looked on the pitch these last 2 seasons and unless it is sum commensurate with what we are paying Dykes and Bonne then I am out. If we were getting the CA that we had for a couple of seasons then I would be in the vanguard clamouring for his return but, coupled with his injury record, this looks like a bad choice for the club. As mentioned above, get someone popular in to shut the fans up as they can't see further than the end of their noses.
I thought we’d stopped doing this kind of thing, but perhaps there’s still a bit of ‘needs must’ thinking going on :shock: Hope I’m wrong, and I’d be as delighted as anyone else if Charlie comes in and gets the goals we need.
Image

User avatar
QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1722
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: CO Tyrone Northern Ireland

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by QPR-NI » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:55 am

On his worst day, on one leg, Austin is an improvement on what we have.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 am

wrinklyhoop wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:50 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:24 am
It appears that most have forgotten just how poor he has looked on the pitch these last 2 seasons and unless it is sum commensurate with what we are paying Dykes and Bonne then I am out. If we were getting the CA that we had for a couple of seasons then I would be in the vanguard clamouring for his return but, coupled with his injury record, this looks like a bad choice for the club. As mentioned above, get someone popular in to shut the fans up as they can't see further than the end of their noses.
I thought we’d stopped doing this kind of thing, but perhaps there’s still a bit of ‘needs must’ thinking going on :shock: Hope I’m wrong, and I’d be as delighted as anyone else if Charlie comes in and gets the goals we need.
Charlie Austin (last time) scored a number of goals by being in the right place at the right time. If he can pass this on to Bonne and Dykes we will be in a better place after he leaves. WBA rarely gave Charlie a full 90 minutes, in much the same way we haven't given Dykes and Bonne a proper run of games. As a striker I think you need time on the pitch, and so maybe, if Charlie plays we'll see a better Charlie Austin than WBA did, and maybe that will have a knock on effect.

Well, I'm hoping so anyway.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
karateelvis
Logo Designer
Logo Designer
Posts: 2157
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:02 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by karateelvis » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:41 pm

I think even if he's fit enough to start 50% of our remaining matches, he could still end up our top scorer. Not sure whether that says more about him, or our other goalscorers?
"Every dog has its day, and today is woof day! Today I just want to bark!"
Image

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by jimjams » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:01 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 am
Charlie Austin (last time) scored a number of goals by being in the right place at the right time. If he can pass this on to Bonne and Dykes we will be in a better place after he leaves. WBA rarely gave Charlie a full 90 minutes, in much the same way we haven't given Dykes and Bonne a proper run of games. As a striker I think you need time on the pitch, and so maybe, if Charlie plays we'll see a better Charlie Austin than WBA did, and maybe that will have a knock on effect.

Well, I'm hoping so anyway.
Yep. He was never very quick, nor particularly good at dribbling in the air. What he was good at was kicking it at the goal. Not fully on board with going back, but it could work out quite well.

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:45 pm

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by nic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:10 pm

My first thought was “why would he come to us” not “we could do better” I have to say.

Those who think we can do better than Charlie don’t seem to have a realistic appreciation of where we are right now.

He is a bit of a gamble on the injury side for sure.

But if we get 12-15 games out of him, he could keep us up.

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5815
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by WA Hoop » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:43 pm

Well I'm on board and think it's about as good as we could reasonably expect, if not better.😎
Question everything.

Hanuhoff
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:16 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by Hanuhoff » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:34 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 am
wrinklyhoop wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:50 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:24 am
It appears that most have forgotten just how poor he has looked on the pitch these last 2 seasons and unless it is sum commensurate with what we are paying Dykes and Bonne then I am out. If we were getting the CA that we had for a couple of seasons then I would be in the vanguard clamouring for his return but, coupled with his injury record, this looks like a bad choice for the club. As mentioned above, get someone popular in to shut the fans up as they can't see further than the end of their noses.
I thought we’d stopped doing this kind of thing, but perhaps there’s still a bit of ‘needs must’ thinking going on :shock: Hope I’m wrong, and I’d be as delighted as anyone else if Charlie comes in and gets the goals we need.
Charlie Austin (last time) scored a number of goals by being in the right place at the right time. If he can pass this on to Bonne and Dykes we will be in a better place after he leaves. WBA rarely gave Charlie a full 90 minutes, in much the same way we haven't given Dykes and Bonne a proper run of games. As a striker I think you need time on the pitch, and so maybe, if Charlie plays we'll see a better Charlie Austin than WBA did, and maybe that will have a knock on effect.

Well, I'm hoping so anyway.
Funny you say this. Bonne has been in the right position a couple of times today but almost seems surprised when he is and doesn't seem entirely sure what to do when he's there.

He's a strange one. I don't want to write him off entirely. But he just seems to lack that killer instinct. I thought a very telling moment just now was Kane crossing it in. The defender cleared but only as far as Kane again. Bonne was walking away and it seemed to take him a good couple of seconds to realise we were in possession again. Didn't end up mattering but he wouldn't have been ready if the second cross came in.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 10847
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by Damien » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:53 pm

I suppose the club has to do something as we are "staring down the barrel". It does smack of desperation though.

User avatar
Danish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:17 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by Danish Ranger » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:04 pm

Welcome back Chaz

User avatar
QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1722
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: CO Tyrone Northern Ireland

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by QPR-NI » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:10 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:53 pm
I suppose the club has to do something as we are "staring down the barrel". It does smack of desperation though.

Aren’t we desperate at this stage.

We couldn’t score in a brothel.

User avatar
beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1299
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by beaglebum » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Well it's official now so welcome back Charlie. Please, please, please find the back of the net quickly. I know it took a number of games before you scored your first last time. But please start with a bang this time.

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:23 pm
Location: Whitton

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by whittonhoop » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:15 pm

3 goals today if he were on the pitch, just saying

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 4917
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Charlie Austin on loan

Post by Giorgio » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:37 pm

...from what I remember of him he had that predator instinct that looks to be missing in our present strikers....
so hopefully he still has it....

Post Reply