Goodbye to The Doc

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Goodbye to The Doc

Post by arrystottle » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:49 pm

Very sad to hear of the passing of Tommy Docherty , a good manager and quite a character as well. Surprised no one has commented on this ,I know I am old but others must remember him .Always remember a story he told from his time with us about when we were top of the league or near to it and he was called in by Jim Gregory and Jim offered him a drink and said "well Tommy its time for a parting of the ways" ,Tommy slightly shocked said "thats too bad Jim i didnt realise you were thinking of retiring" , to which Jim replied " i am not retiring you are sacked you silly reeky muddy-mettled haggard " R.I.P. Tommy

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Goodbye to The Doc

Post by Damien » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:09 pm

I liked Doc. He was a good manager and character. I'd love to have been a "fly on the wall" when him and Gregory got together. His 79 QPR team is one of my favourites. I'd just started work and was able to go to all home games and some away. Woods,Allen,Goddard, Wicks Hazell,Currie even McCleary were good to watch. His biggest mistake was isolating Stan and driving him out if the club - I know a lot of R's who will never forgive hi for that. Good age Tommy RIP.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:27 pm

Slightly before my time of attendance but lovely look-back at him and the old Rangers infrastructure...

Staff Benda Bilili

arrystottle
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by arrystottle » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:46 pm

Damien wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:09 pm
I liked Doc. He was a good manager and character. I'd love to have been a "fly on the wall" when him and Gregory got together. His 79 QPR team is one of my favourites. I'd just started work and was able to go to all home games and some away. Woods,Allen,Goddard, Wicks Hazell,Currie even McCleary were good to watch. His biggest mistake was isolating Stan and driving him out if the club - I know a lot of R's who will never forgive hi for that. Good age Tommy RIP.
Think you will find it was Rodney Marsh that Tommy had a problem with , Stan came along a bit later .

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Tommy was a character..... Thank god social media wasn't around when he was manager of the club.

I enjoyed the football and the players he brought to Loftus Road.

Sacked not once or twice by St.Jim but three times!

He sacked him a second time and fans were in uproar so he reappointed him, Rangers had a bad slump and he sacked him again with no fans really complaining. St Jim wanted to get Terry Venables in charge as he was a beloved footballing son like Rodney, Stan and Gerry....
2020/2021.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:34 pm

arrystottle wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:46 pm
Damien wrote:
Think you will find it was Rodney Marsh that Tommy had a problem with , Stan came along a bit later .
He fell out with Stan soon after he took over at the start of the 79-80 season, and sold him that December. Rodney was there during his first spell.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:03 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:34 pm
arrystottle wrote:
Damien wrote:
He fell out with Stan soon after he took over at the start of the 79-80 season, and sold him that December. Rodney was there during his first spell.
Cloughie and Forest offered the club £250K for Stan and were the reigning European Cup Holders at the time, St.Jim couldn't stand in his way and it was good business for the club....

Let's not blame the Doc for this one, Stan won his only career silverware that season when they won the Euro Super Cup..... He likely would have got a winners medal for the European Cup in 79 had he not fallen out with Cloughie already....
2020/2021.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:59 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:03 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:34 pm
arrystottle wrote:

Cloughie and Forest offered the club £250K for Stan and were the reigning European Cup Holders at the time, St.Jim couldn't stand in his way and it was good business for the club....

Let's not blame the Doc for this one, Stan won his only career silverware that season when they won the Euro Super Cup..... He likely would have got a winners medal for the European Cup in 79 had he not fallen out with Cloughie already....
Not blaming him for anything. Don't think he realised how much Stan meant to supporters at the time that's all. That 76 side disappeared very quickly and was replaced with players who simply couldn't fill the boots. Stan was one of the last to go, and probably best for him personally. But what feckin memories he left.