I will be the first!

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: I will be the first!

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:12 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:34 pm
Brentford predictably sweep Newcastle aside this evening.
As a benchmark club for us it makes our debacle even more apparent.

Broken record time - their recruitment policy works, ours in the main concentrates on players who can't run,
or have any technical ability in front of goal.
In terms of their recruitment, Brentford are probably the envy of every club in the division and quite a few in the PL. If it were easy to replicate though, everyone would be doing it. They're fortunate to have an owner who's a lifelong fan and something of a pioneer in his usage of analytics in football.

I'm sure we'd all rather be in their position than ours, but despite everything, they're still in the same division as us.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

carrotstick
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by carrotstick » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:58 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:12 am
Andy_N19 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:34 pm
Brentford predictably sweep Newcastle aside this evening.
As a benchmark club for us it makes our debacle even more apparent.

Broken record time - their recruitment policy works, ours in the main concentrates on players who can't run,
or have any technical ability in front of goal.
In terms of their recruitment, Brentford are probably the envy of every club in the division and quite a few in the PL. If it were easy to replicate though, everyone would be doing it. They're fortunate to have an owner who's a lifelong fan and something of a pioneer in his usage of analytics in football.

I'm sure we'd all rather be in their position than ours, but despite everything, they're still in the same division as us.
And the semi final of a Cup, which we aren’t

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Yeah, us and 87 other clubs

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:13 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:

The recruitment of Dykes and Bonne is now a scandal, I know we couldn't afford Toney but there are others
who aren't as obviously poor as Bonne or as flat footed and one paced as Dykes.

Another lame arse draw against Swansea or a defeat would for me not only question Warburton's future at the club
but Ferdinand's too.
Staff Benda Bilili

carrotstick
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by carrotstick » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:42 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:05 pm
Yeah, us and 87 other clubs
I thought the topic was Brentford & us , not 87 other clubs?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:13 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:

The recruitment of Dykes and Bonne is now a scandal, I know we couldn't afford Toney but there are others

Another lame arse draw against Swansea or a defeat would for me not only question Warburton's future at the club
but Ferdinand's too.
It's surely still too early to write off Dykes and Bonne even with their poor form. Improve the service they receive would surely see a better return from both.

Even if we could have afforded Toney, at this point in time why would he have chosen QPR over Brentford? That will go for others not wanting to come to us just now.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:57 pm

dm wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:22 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

but Ferdinand's too.
It's surely still too early to write off Dykes and Bonne even with their poor form. Improve the service they receive would surely see a better return from both.

Even if we could have afforded Toney, at this point in time why would he have chosen QPR over Brentford? That will go for others not wanting to come to us just now.
In the short term we are where we are. This is because of the constraints and penalties of FFP, and years of poor financial and managerial decisions taken by those at the top. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. Despite the constant criticism of Les Ferdinand and Lee Hoos by some fans, they have put us on firmer grounder financially, but it will take time for us to come out of the tunnel, and COVID-19 really hasn't helped. The club has acquired a new training ground and this will hopefully be developed over the next couple of years. This may help attract players once it is established. We are also still in the mix for a new stadium at Linford Christie, and a purpose built stadium fit for the 21st century will definitely help. The biggest mistake we could make there would be if we were too ambitious - Talk of a 40,000 seater stadium is folly. In short we don't need one that big, what we do need is a stadium which generates additional revenue, and is a modern, comfortable environment in which to watch our team - no restricted views or knee damaging lack of space between the rows. An innovative design would make it unique (just as Loftus Road is).

Realistically why would a player join another club and specifically QPR? The answers are any of - more money (been there, but it didn't work well for us), either a higher division or at least the potential to play at a higher level (ultimately think Premier League), better facilities, larger crowds, history and a coaching team that will develop the player into a better player, so maybe a stepping stone to bigger and better things. At this moment in time QPR do not offer many of those things. For example BOS is in the final weeks maybe even days of his QPR career because he knows he can do better elsewhere. its easy to criticise the signings we have made, as they haven't hit the ground running. The manager has not made any meaningful changes in tactics or starting personnel, yet each game is the same as the last in terms of performances and outcome. Changing managers hasn't worked for us over the last 10-12 years, and I hope we aren't about to step onto that merry go round again. That said football is a results business, and clearly something has to change. If not the tactics, formation and starting eleven, then it will inevitably the manager.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:45 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:57 pm
Despite the constant criticism of Les Ferdinand and Lee Hoos by some fans, they have put us on firmer grounder financially
I agree wholeheartedly with you there, perhaps these two should just stick to off field activities since
scouting players ain't one of Sir Les's strong-points.
Staff Benda Bilili

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:59 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
but Ferdinand's too.
To be honest with you lad, a draw against Swansea would be a good result. They're currently in 3rd, made the playoffs last season and have a far better squad and budget than us.
Drawing against Wycombe - yeah, I understand the sentiment there.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:14 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
dm wrote:
Andy_N19 wrote:

but Ferdinand's too.

In the short term we are where we are. This is because of the constraints and penalties of FFP, and years of poor financial and managerial decisions taken by those at the top. There is light at the end of the tunnel though. Despite the constant criticism of Les Ferdinand and Lee Hoos by some fans, they have put us on firmer grounder financially, but it will take time for us to come out of the tunnel, and COVID-19 really hasn't helped. The club has acquired a new training ground and this will hopefully be developed over the next couple of years. This may help attract players once it is established. We are also still in the mix for a new stadium at Linford Christie, and a purpose built stadium fit for the 21st century will definitely help. The biggest mistake we could make there would be if we were too ambitious - Talk of a 40,000 seater stadium is folly. In short we don't need one that big, what we do need is a stadium which generates additional revenue, and is a modern, comfortable environment in which to watch our team - no restricted views or knee damaging lack of space between the rows. An innovative design would make it unique (just as Loftus Road is).

Realistically why would a player join another club and specifically QPR? The answers are any of - more money (been there, but it didn't work well for us), either a higher division or at least the potential to play at a higher level (ultimately think Premier League), better facilities, larger crowds, history and a coaching team that will develop the player into a better player, so maybe a stepping stone to bigger and better things. At this moment in time QPR do not offer many of those things. For example BOS is in the final weeks maybe even days of his QPR career because he knows he can do better elsewhere. its easy to criticise the signings we have made, as they haven't hit the ground running. The manager has not made any meaningful changes in tactics or starting personnel, yet each game is the same as the last in terms of performances and outcome. Changing managers hasn't worked for us over the last 10-12 years, and I hope we aren't about to step onto that merry go round again.That said football is a results business, and clearly something has to change. If not the tactics, formation and starting eleven, then it will inevitably the manager.
But you have made a very strong case for changing the manager. If the manager is incapable of changing a game plan that is not working then the only other option is changing the manager

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:28 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:14 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
dm wrote:

Realistically why would a player join another club and specifically QPR? The answers are any of - more money (been there, but it didn't work well for us), either a higher division or at least the potential to play at a higher level (ultimately think Premier League), better facilities, larger crowds, history and a coaching team that will develop the player into a better player, so maybe a stepping stone to bigger and better things. At this moment in time QPR do not offer many of those things. For example BOS is in the final weeks maybe even days of his QPR career because he knows he can do better elsewhere. its easy to criticise the signings we have made, as they haven't hit the ground running. The manager has not made any meaningful changes in tactics or starting personnel, yet each game is the same as the last in terms of performances and outcome. Changing managers hasn't worked for us over the last 10-12 years, and I hope we aren't about to step onto that merry go round again.That said football is a results business, and clearly something has to change. If not the tactics, formation and starting eleven, then it will inevitably the manager.
But you have made a very strong case for changing the manager. If the manager is incapable of changing a game plan that is not working then the only other option is changing the manager
Read the rest of the paragraph after your highlighted bit.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:15 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:28 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:14 pm
ZENITH R wrote:

Read the rest of the paragraph after your highlighted bit.
I did.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:38 pm

Should've just left Ollie there. At least Penrice could spot a gem.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:46 am

Montag wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:38 pm
Should've just left Ollie there. At least Penrice could spot a gem.
Well he is available again, after a successful spell guiding Grimsby to 20th in League Two. He'd probably still be welcomed back by a section of our support, especially those for whom good post-match interviews are a deal-breaker.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Read an interesting article today from Clint Hill from May this year about his time with Warbs at Rangers and the lack of defensive training around set pieces...... Sounds familiar with the possession game we like to play (Plan A)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foo ... g-22010807
2020/2021.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....