PNE Match Thread

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: PNE Match Thread

Post by Lee Gib » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:57 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 pm

As for Warnock, he put out weaker sides because he was concentrating on winning the league - which is hardly something we've had to worry about recently, is it?
Let me get this straight, you're complaining about MW throwing cup games but suddenly when Warnock does it it's ok? He put out weaker sides for cup games to prioritise league matches, that's what they all do. You need to hold your deity to the same standard you expect of everyone else.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:45 am

jimjams wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:59 am
Relegation form aside, I think TF wanted someone who knew how to "take QPR to the next level" and Warnock didn't even look like he could keep us where we were. Mark Hughes definitely thought he knew, even if it turns out he didn't.
I can't blame TF too much for hiring him. He had a good club record at the time, with over 1.5 points per game. His worst stint was a season at Fulham, where he finished 8th and got them into Europe. Obviously, anyone who hires him now needs their head examined, but at the time it looked like a good appointment and I was quite optimistic.

Warnock wasn’t backed in the transfer market and he was still doing ok, not great but ok given the players he had at his disposal. Had he been backed to even a quarter of the extent Hughes was we might’ve had a fighting chance.

It was bizarre sacking him without giving him a fair crack of the whip in the premier league and was reminiscent of Olly’s sacking in favour of Steve McLaren. If you can’t blame Fernandez, who can you blame?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:43 am

stainesranger wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:45 am
jimjams wrote:
Relegation form aside, I think TF wanted someone who knew how to "take QPR to the next level" and Warnock didn't even look like he could keep us where we were. Mark Hughes definitely thought he knew, even if it turns out he didn't.
I can't blame TF too much for hiring him. He had a good club record at the time, with over 1.5 points per game. His worst stint was a season at Fulham, where he finished 8th and got them into Europe. Obviously, anyone who hires him now needs their head examined, but at the time it looked like a good appointment and I was quite optimistic.

Warnock wasn’t backed in the transfer market and he was still doing ok, not great but ok given the players he had at his disposal. Had he been backed to even a quarter of the extent Hughes was we might’ve had a fighting chance.

It was bizarre sacking him without giving him a fair crack of the whip in the premier league and was reminiscent of Olly’s sacking in favour of Steve McLaren. If you can’t blame Fernandez, who can you blame?
From memory, the fans had turned against Warnock and were fed up with the post match interviews along the lines of "it's just a pleasure and an honour to be playing these teams every week" etc. Announcing that he had handed over discipline in the dressing room to the players didn't go down well either, can you imagine any manager worth his salt doing that? During the MK Dons away cup game I think he knew his race was run, and the fans were more than happy about that. It was what it was back then, and rightly or wrongly, it isn't going to change anything now.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:49 am

stainesranger wrote:
jimjams wrote:

His record for the season up to the point where he was sacked was P22 W4 D6 L12 F20 A38. Our friend Albert is calling out Warburton for 6 wins in 27. Albert also says: "If you engender a losing culture, then don't be surprised when it becomes endemic." So, the powers that be sacked Neil Warnock because there was a losing culture, and they didn't want it to become endemic.

Thanks Albert for making the point so eloquently.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:03 pm

I'm as irritated as anyone by Albert Steptoe's continual harping on about Warnock, but I do think it's a bit disingenuous to compare his record in our first season back in the PL with the current manager's record in our sixth season in the Championship. Any manager would have struggled in 2011-12 after what went on in pre-season. His PL record is undeniably poor, but his Championship record speaks for itself.

It's all water under the bridge anyway. He's long gone and he isn't coming back.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:15 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:43 am
stainesranger wrote:
jimjams wrote:

From memory, the fans had turned against Warnock and were fed up with the post match interviews along the lines of "it's just a pleasure and an honour to be playing these teams every week" etc. Announcing that he had handed over discipline in the dressing room to the players didn't go down well either, can you imagine any manager worth his salt doing that? During the MK Dons away cup game I think he knew his race was run, and the fans were more than happy about that. It was what it was back then, and rightly or wrongly, it isn't going to change anything now.
My memories of late 2011 are still quite vivid....

Adel wanting his dream move abroad to PSG and Flav doing the negotiations and not getting it for him (possibly the cut to Tottenham was meaning virtually no profit for QPR) ...

A trouncing on the opening day fixture by Bolton, the first sight of TF in the directors box as the crowd booed Flav at the final whistle

The TF takeover and an away win against Everton in our mango coloured away kit

The club throwing shedloads of money on Barton and Wright-Phillips to join us (Barton later admitted is was all about the money, Wright-Phillips was advised by his dad Ian to join us (for the money).. He then sat on that contract until it run out even turning down a loan to Charlton near the end...

Impressive away wins at Wolves and Stoke that gave rise to great optimism...

The slump in form going into Xmas and New Year

Neil Warnock gracious in defeat as said above...

The rise of Kia Joobaran, chatting in the ear of Tony that he had a manager on his books who could get the footballing stars to join QPR that Warnock couldn't.....

Amazingly that was nearly 8 years ago and the thing that sticks out for me was my son whose nearly 17 now said he really wished he was a little bit older so he could really have enjoyed season 10 / 11 with the magical Moroccan
2020/2021.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:06 am

stainesranger wrote:

I said I couldn't blame him for hiring Hughes. If you want to blame him for sacking Warnock, that's fine. But we were on relegation form, at less than a point a game and sinking at the time.

Agree with Uxbridge, though, that this season and that season aren't really comparable.

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:10 pm

It was definitely the sacking I had a problem with. We were outside the relegation zone, and our form wasn’t great but then again we’d recently played Arsenal, Liverpool and Unired.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:59 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:15 pm
The club throwing shedloads of money on Barton and Wright-Phillips to join us (Barton later admitted is was all about the money, Wright-Phillips was advised by his dad Ian to join us (for the money).. He then sat on that contract until it run out even turning down a loan to Charlton near the end...

Impressive away wins at Wolves and Stoke that gave rise to great optimism...

The slump in form going into Xmas and New Year

Neil Warnock gracious in defeat as said above...
That first home game against Newcastle was probably SWP's best for us, he was on fire that night, as was the team, how it finished 0-0 I have no idea. As you say we picked up a few great wins and then boy did we slump. Warnock was only spending 3/4 days a week at the club often leaving Keith Curle to take training who had his own issues at the time so in retrospect you can see why we slumped.

Enter Hughes who in combination with Fernandes made some crazy signings and the rest is why we are where we are now!

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:05 pm

It's very easy with the benefit of hindsight to say it was a bad decision.

However, at the time:

* Results were not great (when all is said and done football is a results business)
* As has already been pointed out Warnock did not seem 100% committed
* Mark Hughes had a better Premier League pedigree that Warnock

* and who knows what else was going on in the background.

So, I think it is fully understandable why the decision that was taken was taken, even if it actually turned out to be a total disaster.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:50 pm

It was the correct decision then and still is now. The hiring of Hughes and Redknapp were also good decisions. The disaster was Fernandes who signed, Rio, Park, Cesar etc many of which Hughes did not want.

We lost 2-0 at Upton Park and Neville and Souness laid in to us for lack of effort and commitment and Redknapp should of gone then when Pulis was available. That was our Sliding Doors moment.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:53 am

Rbee wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:59 pm
Enter Hughes who in combination with Fernandes made some crazy signings and the rest is why we are where we are now!
It was madness, we had signed Rob Green on reputedly 50K a week and then brought in Julio Cesar at £100K!

Paddy Kenny had served us well and couldn't imagine him being on more than half of Rob Green's wages

We were lucky the 2014 World Cup was round the corner otherwise we could have had another player sitting on his contract till it finished

Jason Park installed as Captain was surely a warning as Fernandes chased the Asian market and that joke of a pre season in the Far East....
2020/2021.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....