PNE Match Thread

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: PNE Match Thread

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Yeah, it wasn't a dig at you, but there seem to be a number of people on various platforms who seem disappointed that Chair isn't Eze because they both wear(wore) the No. 10 shirt. There is another young lad, Nathan Carlyle, who has a bit of Eze in his play but in all honesty, plays more like Luongo in style. Jake Frailing also in the same style but I haven't seen any of these in action for over a year now so who knows what my viewpoint is worth anymore.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:52 pm
Yeah, it wasn't a dig at you, but there seem to be a number of people on various platforms who seem disappointed that Chair isn't Eze because they both wear(wore) the No. 10 shirt. There is another young lad, Nathan Carlyle, who has a bit of Eze in his play but in all honesty, plays more like Luongo in style. Jake Frailing also in the same style but I haven't seen any of these in action for over a year now so who knows what my viewpoint is worth anymore.
No probs.Think we are all guilty to an extent hoping that Chair could fill Eze's boots, but have over egged him too much. Still think he needs to improve if he is to nail down a regular spot mind you. Competition will hopefully focus him.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Damien wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:14 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:52 pm
Yeah. Think we are all to an extent hoping that Chair could fill Eze's boots, but have over egged him a bit. Still think he needs to improve if he is to nail down a regular spot.
Eze was nearly a hundred games in before a lot of fans stopped calling him arrogant and lazy.

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:37 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:59 am
Ha Ha ... QPR lose and you make a re-appearance, as regular as Christmas, but nowhere near as welcome.
6 wins in 27, dating back to the Cup game we threw against Wednesday. The problem with setting the bar low is that it eventually becomes the norm. A club that has no ambition, with a board that is only here for the real estate and a fanbase that claps happily like tranquilised seals, gets the performances that apathy deserves.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:10 am

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:37 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Ha Ha ... QPR lose and you make a re-appearance, as regular as Christmas, but nowhere near as welcome.
6 wins in 27, dating back to the Cup game we threw against Wednesday. The problem with setting the bar low is that it eventually becomes the norm. A club that has no ambition, with a board that is only here for the real estate and a fanbase that claps happily like tranquilised seals, gets the performances that apathy deserves.
You could equally apply that to 95% of the clubs in the football pyramid. If this erks you so much, and it clearly does, as you come on here to vent your spleen every time we lose, mostly by repeating the self same phrases (see above - nothing new there), then the answer is simple ... Go and support Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelski or Manchester United.

We have on occasions produced some really good performances and results, admittedly not as often as any of us would like, but when we do ... you are conspicuous by your absence.

As for ambition ... at this moment in time, most clubs will be happy just to survive.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:33 am

Think in this type of instance where you lose such a key player, you hope the next phase of recruitment will bed in quickly and yield quick results.

As Esox pointed out, it was over 100 games to get Eze to the point we sold him for a good fee - hope we can give the current crop of players a chance come together - initial signs already with the likes of Dickie and Dykes.

The team are going to need time - mid table finish this season would be a real result I think.

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:45 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:10 am
You could equally apply that to 95% of the clubs in the football pyramid. If this erks you so much, and it clearly does, as you come on here to vent your spleen every time we lose, mostly by repeating the self same phrases (see above - nothing new there), then the answer is simple ... Go and support Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelski or Manchester United.
So you're perfectly happy to spend perpetuity in the lower half of the Championship?

We're supposedly broke yet simultaneously throw cup matches which is why it's unsurprising that results since that Wednesday game are so wretched. You engender a culture of mediocrity and that's what you get. No wonder that Manning sees even Swansea as a step up.

Anyway book that open-top bus parade for when we avoid relegation this season - what with Wycombe and a team on minus 12 points, it'll certainly be some achievement!

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:43 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:45 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:10 am
So you're perfectly happy to spend perpetuity in the lower half of the Championship?

We're supposedly broke yet simultaneously throw cup matches which is why it's unsurprising that results since that Wednesday game are so wretched. You engender a culture of mediocrity and that's what you get. No wonder that Manning sees even Swansea as a step up.

Anyway book that open-top bus parade for when we avoid relegation this season - what with Wycombe and a team on minus 12 points, it'll certainly be some achievement!
What a miserable soul sucker you are. QPR's equivalent of a Bean sí, only appear after a defeat or poor performance. Haven't you got a cat to kick or something instead?

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:38 am

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:37 am
ZENITH R wrote:
We didn't "throw" the Cup game against Wednesday. We've been consistently poor in Cup competitions for a good two decades now, during which time we've had multiple owners and managers. Even under the infallible Warnock, we managed to lose to Port Vale and Rochdale, and drew with MK Dons.

The current owners threw silly money at trying to establish us as a PL club. You can bemoan the incompetent way they went about it, but accusing them of a lack of ambition requires selective amnesia. They're clearly not prepared to do the same again, and I can't say I blame them. So what should we do ? Force them out ?

Obviously us happy-clapping tranquilised seals don't possess the collective wit to concoct a cunning plan, but I'm sure a self-made go-getting cutting edge winner like yourself has the answer. Keep us posted.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:49 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:43 pm
What a miserable soul sucker you are. QPR's equivalent of a Bean sí, only appear after a defeat or poor performance. Haven't you got a cat to kick or something instead?
Blah, blah, blah. I see that you are still policing QPR forums to ensure that everyone complies with the happy clapper party line. aniclap

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:51 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:38 am
We didn't "throw" the Cup game against Wednesday. We've been consistently poor in Cup competitions for a good two decades now, during which time we've had multiple owners and managers. Even under the infallible Warnock, we managed to lose to Port Vale and Rochdale, and drew with MK Dons.

The current owners threw silly money at trying to establish us as a PL club. You can bemoan the incompetent way they went about it, but accusing them of a lack of ambition requires selective amnesia. They're clearly not prepared to do the same again, and I can't say I blame them. So what should we do ? Force them out ?

Obviously us happy-clapping tranquilised seals don't possess the collective wit to concoct a cunning plan, but I'm sure a self-made go-getting cutting edge winner like yourself has the answer. Keep us posted.
We did throw the Wednesday game - look at the team sheet. Anyway, what about treating the Plymouth cup game as a 'warm-up' - that worked well. I dread to think how many points we'd have if we hadn't had that match to acclimatise our players in.

If you engender a losing culture, then don't be surprised when it becomes endemic.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:15 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:51 am

We did throw the Wednesday game - look at the team sheet. Anyway, what about treating the Plymouth cup game as a 'warm-up' - that worked well. I dread to think how many points we'd have if we hadn't had that match to acclimatise our players in.

If you engender a losing culture, then don't be surprised when it becomes endemic.
I take it you mean the FA Cup game against Sheffield Wednesday last January?

The team was: Lumley Kane Manning Masterson Leistner Ball Clarke (Osayi-Samuel) Pugh Chair (Wells) Eze Hugill - Hardly a team selection to throw the game. plenty of goals in their and loads of experience. In fact on paper a much stronger team than the one from the previous round when we beat Swansea 5-1 - Kelly Kane Cameron (Gubbins) Masterson Wallace Ball Scowen Pugh Chair (Dalling) Osayi-Samuel (Shodipo) Hugill.

As for Plymouth - pretty much our strongest starting 11 at that time apart from Oteh for Dykes who was playing for Scotland. Even Manning played.

We have a very poor recent record in the cups - but as someone else pointed out that goes back a long way (into the last century) and covers a lot of managers and owners too.

You do talk a lot of rot, and the facts don't support you.

The Sheffield Wednesday and Plymouth results were disappointing, but neither game was 'thrown'. In fact Neil Warnock who you hold in such high regard consistently put out weaker sides in the cups - and we lost.

You talked earlier about ambition. Brentford who you hold up as a shining example of what we should aspire to, have just built a brand new stadium - with a capacity lower than Loftus Road has now. This is a team who have ambitions to play in the Premier League.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:15 pm

The team was: Lumley Kane Manning Masterson Leistner Ball Clarke (Osayi-Samuel) Pugh Chair (Wells) Eze Hugill - Hardly a team selection to throw the game. plenty of goals in their and loads of experience.

In fact Neil Warnock who you hold in such high regard consistently put out weaker sides in the cups - and we lost.
So Kelly (who'd saved a penalty), Hall (club captain), Wallace (okay, fair enough), Cameron, Amos, BOS and Wells (who'd scored the winner) were left out from the previous match which was a victory over the league leaders. Hardly going for it, were we?

As for Warnock, he put out weaker sides because he was concentrating on winning the league - which is hardly something we've had to worry about recently, is it?

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:15 pm

The team was: Lumley Kane Manning Masterson Leistner Ball Clarke (Osayi-Samuel) Pugh Chair (Wells) Eze Hugill - Hardly a team selection to throw the game. plenty of goals in their and loads of experience.

In fact Neil Warnock who you hold in such high regard consistently put out weaker sides in the cups - and we lost.
So Kelly (who'd saved a penalty), Hall (club captain), Wallace (okay, fair enough), Cameron, Amos, BOS and Wells (who'd scored the winner) were left out from the previous match which was a victory over the league leaders. Hardly going for it, were we?

As for Warnock, he put out weaker sides because he was concentrating on winning the league - which is hardly something we've had to worry about recently, is it?
Concentrating on winning the league? In August in the League cup?

The thing about Warnock is this ... He's brilliant as a Championship manager, but when he has managed in the Premiership he has come up short. In fact his record in the Premiership is not far off being as bad as his record in the Championship is good. Relegated with Sheffield United and Cardiff, and left Palace which was a sinking ship. We looked like we were headed the same way.

When we sacked him we were a Premiership team, not a Championship team.

We sacked him in January after drawing 1-1 in the FA Cup at the MK Dons - two divisions below us at that time. His record up to that point in the Premier League Season was: P22 W4 D6 L12 F20 A38

That is sacking form.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time the decision to replace him with Mark Hughes on the face of it was sound.

When he returned as caretaker manager he said he didn't want the job permanently. Maybe he was still annoyed at being sacked by the same people who had been there previously. Neil Warnock usually says on appointment "this will be my last job", and when sacked or when he resigns he usually says something along the lines of "That's it for me now". So, what are we to believe? His wife apparently was ill with a potentially life threatening illness. Yet, he turned up at Rotherham a few weeks later?

He is, as I've said a brilliant Championship manager, but as far as being QPR manager goes - bridges were burnt on both sides, so it's not going to happen.

He may well get Miiddlesbrough promoted, but they would be favourites for relegation next season.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:59 am

Relegation form aside, I think TF wanted someone who knew how to "take QPR to the next level" and Warnock didn't even look like he could keep us where we were. Mark Hughes definitely thought he knew, even if it turns out he didn't.
I can't blame TF too much for hiring him. He had a good club record at the time, with over 1.5 points per game. His worst stint was a season at Fulham, where he finished 8th and got them into Europe. Obviously, anyone who hires him now needs their head examined, but at the time it looked like a good appointment and I was quite optimistic.