PNE Match Thread

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: PNE Match Thread

Post by 222gers » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:32 am

Despite last night's shambles I think we are more solid in defence although the bloke whose name I can't spell should be brought in at LB.

Going forward we look clueless at the moment BOS and Chair haven't started the season well.

I'm not panicking yet. Bring on Brummagem.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 am

A really poor night after a very lively start.

There's a lot to like about Warburton but tbh i was hugely disappointed by him last night. I don't expect some Stuart Pearce type figure screaming non-stop but he looked resigned to the result and as if he was irked PNE wouldn't let us play our nice football. Towards the end there was no shape, no plan no leadership. 3 wingers on the pitch yet seemingly all crossing and attacking down the flank coming from fullback.

There's no way we should have ever signed Wallace, clearly a MW pick and it should have been vetoed. He's old and shite and from a team that was picking Clint Hill long after we had decided he was past it. If the figures banded about last year are accurate he's also a higher earner. LB should have been a priority signing throughout the summer as i think it was pretty clear Manning wasn't interested in sticking around.

Both penalties were very poor defending, albeit with help from Dickie for the second. A bit worrying the club really doesn't fancy Hämäläinen if Wallace is the starter. I'd probably even give Kane a run there rather than play Wallace in that position any longer. Bournemouth aside i don't recall any other game when he was better than poor.

I also thought Cameron was notably bad last night and in general, isn't having a good season. I wouldn't have him in the side ahead of Ball at this point and i don't see anything that suggests he makes up for his increasing limitations with exceptional leadership.

Chair had some good moments and then fizzled out. MW really needs to work out how to get the very best out of him.

Saturday's result was very good, last night was poor, hopefully we're back on track Saturday. Also interesting how quickly Amos has gone from maligned to missed.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 am

Rbee wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:59 am

Would Dykes have made a difference? No, I don't think he would. For him to be effective he needs service, and I don't see we are set up to deliver it to him.
I thought against Plymouth Carroll and Dykes worked really well together but Carroll and Bonne was non existent last night.
Dykes didn't play against Plymouth
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 am

Satch wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 am

There's a lot to like about Warburton but tbh i was hugely disappointed by him last night. I don't expect some Stuart Pearce type figure screaming non-stop but he looked resigned to the result and as if he was irked PNE wouldn't let us play our nice football. Towards the end there was no shape, no plan no leadership. 3 wingers on the pitch yet seemingly all crossing and attacking down the flank coming from fondle.

There's no way we should have ever signed Wallace, clearly a MW pick and it should have been vetoed. He's old and shite and from a team that was picking Clint Hill long after we had decided he was past it. If the figures banded about last year are accurate he's also a higher earner. LB should have been a priority signing throughout the summer as i think it was pretty clear Manning wasn't interested in sticking around.

Both penalties were very poor defending, albeit with help from Dickie for the second. A bit worrying the club really doesn't fancy Hämäläinen if Wallace is the starter. I'd probably even give Kane a run there rather than play Wallace in that position any longer. Bournemouth aside i don't recall any other game when he was better than poor.

I also thought Cameron was notably bad last night and in general, isn't having a good season. I wouldn't have him in the side ahead of Ball at this point and i don't see anything that suggests he makes up for his increasing limitations with exceptional leadership.

Chair had some good moments and then fizzled out. MW really needs to work out how to get the very best out of him.

Saturday's result was very good, last night was poor, hopefully we're back on track Saturday. Also interesting how quickly Amos has gone from maligned to missed.

Overall a pretty fair and accurate summary Satch and I read your last observation with a wry smile.
Question everything.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:50 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:41 am
Satch wrote:

There's a lot to like about Warburton but tbh i was hugely disappointed by him last night. I don't expect some Stuart Pearce type figure screaming non-stop but he looked resigned to the result and as if he was irked PNE wouldn't let us play our nice football. Towards the end there was no shape, no plan no leadership. 3 wingers on the pitch yet seemingly all crossing and attacking down the flank coming from fondle.

Overall a pretty fair and accurate summary Satch and I read your last observation with a wry smile.
Strange change at the end of the second paragraph, would have improved the evening.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:04 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:29 am
Rbee wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:05 am
Watched the replays and minimal contact for both penalties and the striker was looking for the second but as Warburton rightly said in his post match interview, don’t put yourself in that position. Poor from Wallace.

Dave McIntyre thinks our starting eleven was League 1 standard.
A few of the young players (Dieng, Kakay, Dickie, Willock) look promising but overall
it was League 1 football from Rangers for sure.
It wasn't on Saturday and i think that's a bit harsh on the side.

Dieng, early days, good distribution looks more solid than Kelly ever did and more reliable than Lumley since his confidence was rocked.
Kakay, again early but i think he's equipping himself well enough.
Dickie, poor error last night but i think he looks like a solid player, reads the game well and is comfortable on the ball
Barbet, decent championship player other than his sodding free kicks, i'd rather see Dieng take one than him, the phrase made for a 'left footer' only applies if you can hit a free kick.
Wallace, enough said
Ball, truth be told he probably is L1 but gets buy would be fine with quality around him
Cameron, not sure he'd get by in L1 i think his legs have gone and even in L1 you still need to be able to make a simple pass
BOS - comfortably a top half championship player
Chair we know what he can do but he isn't suited to playing out wide and he needs some freedom and to get the ball in dangerous areas
Carroll - always shows for the ball and can clearly hit a pass, sometimes over complicated - unfortunately, a bit of a luxury at times when we're up against it.
Bonne- too early to tell, isn't going to make magic happen by himself and doesn't have the link-up play of Dykes

What we don't have really are the stand out players, except perhaps BOS and Chair on a good day, the ones who can really life a team. Even Manning's attacking from LB had an element of that. I also think, as a team, we have a habit of regressing to the lowest common denominator and it doesn't help that the heart of the team in central midfield is probably where it's most limited.

MW definitely needs to drill the players better than he has, especially at the back as we aren't going to get away with outscoring teams as we did with the likes of Eze, Wells and to an extend Hugill in the side, not only for their goals but obviously how they stretched other teams creating opportunity fo for players like BOS and Chair.

Without standout stars you need a manager that is going to create something that is greater than the sum of it's parts. I thought MW did that on Saturday but overall i think he's going to have to be a bit less rigid in his methods than he has in the past.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:34 am
I thought we started pretty well, but once we conceded, we never looked remotely like getting back in the game.

Amateur hour stuff from Wallace for both penalties. The club couldn't stop Manning leaving, but not having a replacement lined up is poor. The latter wasn't great defensively, but at least offered a genuine threat going forward. Wallace doesn't seem to offer much at either end.

Early days and all that, but the propensity to concede soft goals through individual mistakes remains, while unlike last season, we're creating very few clear-cut chances in attack. It's a worrying combination.

Can I get my Legion of Doom membership now ?
It seems this always happens. I've supported this club for more years than I care to remember and my glasses are very much rose tinted but last night I could not see any hope. I did the equivalent of leaving early switching off after the second penalty. Preston defended in depth but still got into our penalty area whereas we hardly got into theirs. I know as you say its early days but how often has that phrase been quoted. Of course under normal circumstances I would be at the Birmingham game but at the moment will not bother to watch the stream. Twice in one week is just too much.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:49 pm

Hope springs eternal to quote Johhny Rotten. Oh no, it was actually Alexander Pope.
QPR are rarely the same two games running. We need to start strongly against Brum.
We have two wide men in BOS and Albert who, on form could terrorise 'em.
Remember the disgusting display against Wednesday at the back end of last season. We came back with a couple of fine performances.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm

It could be that we are a better away team at the moment playing on the break whilst the onus is on the home team to succeed.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Satch wrote:

Think Chair gets an easy ride from supporters compared to other players in the side who are arguably less talented. He needs to start proving he can fill Eze's boots....as hard as that will be. Same goes for BOS.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:24 pm

Rbee wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm
It could be that we are a better away team at the moment playing on the break whilst the onus is on the home team to succeed.
In this current climate all matches are away games TBH. Not sure, but most teams have already won on an opponent's ground this season(apart from Wycombe and us). Of course that will change when they come to LR :wink:

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:07 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:04 am
It wasn't on Saturday and i think that's a bit harsh on the side.

Dieng, early days, good distribution looks more solid than Kelly ever did and more reliable than Lumley since his confidence was rocked.
Kakay, again early but i think he's equipping himself well enough.
Dickie, poor error last night but i think he looks like a solid player, reads the game well and is comfortable on the ball
Barbet, decent championship player other than his sodding free kicks, i'd rather see Dieng take one than him, the phrase made for a 'left footer' only applies if you can hit a free kick.
Wallace, enough said
Ball, truth be told he probably is L1 but gets buy would be fine with quality around him
Cameron, not sure he'd get by in L1 i think his legs have gone and even in L1 you still need to be able to make a simple pass
BOS - comfortably a top half championship player
Chair we know what he can do but he isn't suited to playing out wide and he needs some freedom and to get the ball in dangerous areas
Carroll - always shows for the ball and can clearly hit a pass, sometimes over complicated - unfortunately, a bit of a luxury at times when we're up against it.
Bonne- too early to tell, isn't going to make magic happen by himself and doesn't have the link-up play of Dykes

What we don't have really are the stand out players, except perhaps BOS and Chair on a good day, the ones who can really life a team. Even Manning's attacking from LB had an element of that. I also think, as a team, we have a habit of regressing to the lowest common denominator and it doesn't help that the heart of the team in central midfield is probably where it's most limited.

MW definitely needs to drill the players better than he has, especially at the back as we aren't going to get away with outscoring teams as we did with the likes of Eze, Wells and to an extend Hugill in the side, not only for their goals but obviously how they stretched other teams creating opportunity fo for players like BOS and Chair.

Without standout stars you need a manager that is going to create something that is greater than the sum of it's parts. I thought MW did that on Saturday but overall i think he's going to have to be a bit less rigid in his methods than he has in the past.
Agree with all of that. A very sobering breakdown of the squad - as optimistic as I'm trying to be.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:07 am

Satch wrote:
Also interesting how quickly Amos has gone from maligned to missed.
On other platforms but not really on here I didn't think. I often defended him. The lack of bodies in the Preston box was already a sign of him not playing as he is a box to box player.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 am

Damien wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:20 pm
Satch wrote:

Think Chair gets an easy ride from supporters compared to other players in the side who are arguably less talented. He needs to start proving he can fill Eze's boots....as hard as that will be. Same goes for BOS.
Chair is not, and never will be, a replacement for Eze, he is more of a Luke Freeman type replacement. The only real candidates for the next Eze would be either Faisal Bettache or Amrit Bansal-McNulty IMO.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:48 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:00 am
Damien wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:20 pm
Satch wrote:

Chair is not, and never will be, a replacement for Eze, he is more of a Luke Freeman type replacement. The only real candidates for the next Eze would be either Faisal Bettache or Amrit Bansal-McNulty IMO.
Fair enough - you see more of him than I do and know the other candidate's. Just seemed to be a lot about him filling Eze's boots on here and other MB's.