Spending money well ... ?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Spending money well ... ?

Post by nic » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:30 am

It seems to me we had a really good window.

No loans, so everyone is committed.

Some free transfers who are doing a job.

Some fees, but small ones for young players with real promise.

A general focus on bringing in young, fit players who can get better.

Two forwards who score goals and are good in the air.

Hopefully now a couple more solid and more experienced midfielders and defenders to solidify us at the back?

If we could do that, I think we would have to say that the club had done a fantastic job.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Spending money well ... ?

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:09 am

I'd say it's far too early to judge whether or not it's been spent well.

I'm certainly glad we've moved away from last season's over-reliance on loans, and it's good to see some of the Eze money being reinvested in players we own. However, all the players we've spent money on (Bonne, Dickie, Dykes and Willock) have little to no experience in the Championship, and the fees aren't that small for the first three. Adomah, Carroll and Thomas look sensible business on frees though. BOS staying would also be a massive plus.

The squad looks a bit unbalanced, with a lot of wide players but little in the way of creativity in midfield. Hopefully we'll be looking to address that before the window closes.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am

I agree with Ux, the strategy is sound but only if the players prove to be good enough. It's great that we've invested in players as i hopefully a loan wouldn't be the difference between us staying up or going down, that said i think we used them well last year. I think getting a little bit of experience in with Adomah and Carroll is wise but doesn't change the overall 'future investment' balance of the team.

I don't think we're overstocked in wide players as i think Smyth and Shodipo will be on their way. Back up for Chair would be good but i think the plan B is more likely to be two up top. Although Amos will have to step up a gear as I imagine it will be him and Cameron in the centre of a 4-4-2.

I would like another striker. I know some have expressed surprise we signed Bonne and Dykes but there's a radical school of thought that a squad could use several strikers. As evidenced by us having to finish last season without a recognised centre-forward.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:35 am

At this point in time it feels like the money's been well spent. It's something between £7 and £8m spent on 8 players, although that will be much less in up front payments. That's the most we've splashed out since 2015 but, of course, we've had the Eze money burning a hole in our pockets.

Transfer fees have been made on young, promising players and rightly so. The older two, Adomah and Carroll, were frees but I guess their wages will be at the higher end of the club's remuneration framework.

It would be unreasonable to expect every new signing to be a roaring success. As already suggested, we'll need a good few months to pass before discovering just how well this transfer window has been for us.

QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:58 am

Been saying it a few times but we need a CM that can create some chances and score a few goals
CMON U SUPPA HOOOPSA!!!!

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:17 pm

QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:58 am
Been saying it a few times but we need a CM that can create some chances and score a few goals
I think that is what is expected of LTC at the moment and Amos in the future. The team is in a development stage.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:27 pm

INS:
Rob Dickie (circa £2m)
Lyndon Dykes (circa £2m)
Macauley Bonne (circa £2m)
George Thomas
Albert Adomah
Luke Amos (Fee?)
Chris Willock (circa £750k)
Tom Carroll

OUTS:
Toni Leistner (mutual consent)
Eberechi Eze (circa £20m)
Grant Hall
Marc Pugh
Ángel Rangel
Jordan Hugill (end of loan)

So all up, we've brought in 8 players, 6 have departed, spent around £8million and got rid of some high earners.
There's still the issues of Manning & BOS' contracts, we have 3x GK, very limited options in defense and the creativity in the centre of the park looks light. I guess that responsibility would fall on LTC & Chair, so here's hoping they step up to the plate.

I'd like to see a CB & LB come in at minimum (assuming Manning is going).

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:38 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:27 pm

Luke Amos (Fee?)
Amos was £500k with add-ons up to £1m.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:41 am

I think we will loan in a CB and a striker, tbh. We're very thin if Bonne or Dykes gets injured, especially with Dykes playing internationally.
Agree they are somewhat expensive, for us, but it seems to me that the wages side of the window is likely to be quite positive in terms of keeping to budget.

QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:09 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:17 pm
QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:58 am
I think that is what is expected of LTC at the moment and Amos in the future. The team is in a development stage.
Carroll and Amos are passengers in this team 😂
CMON U SUPPA HOOOPSA!!!!