Anyone know whats happening with Manning?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Anyone know whats happening with Manning?

Post by beaglebum » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:04 am

Obviously i dont know the guy but ive always had the impression he likes playing for QPR, especially when you consider he's been playing out of position. I feel we miss his creativity going forward so will warburton really not pick him all season? Seems like cutting your nose to spite your face to me!

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Anyone know whats happening with Manning?

Post by QPR_John » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:09 am

beaglebum wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:04 am
Obviously i dont know the guy but ive always had the impression he likes playing for QPR, especially when you consider he's been playing out of position. I feel we miss his creativity going forward so will warburton really not pick him all season? Seems like cutting your nose to spite your face to me!
You can look at it that way but another way is that the club are taking a hit now for a stronger negotiating position in the future with other players.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:29 am

beaglebum wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:04 am
With a year left on his contract, he's being forced to make up his mind whether he wants to negotiate a new deal or find a new club. I'm sure the current position will hold until the transfer window closes. If he hasn't moved on by that point, it does become a trickier situation for the manager as to whether you leave him out in the cold or use him until January when the whole dance starts again. I think it's the right thing to do for now.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:14 pm

He changed agents and they haven't signed a new contract. Given how long it has been going on, I suspect he/they're trying for a move elsewhere.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:22 am

It’s a very odd situation with Manning. He won’t sign a new deal because he wants a move to a bigger club, but we’ve not had any firm offer for him.

I think the difference is that whilst BOS also wants the same, he’s indicated that he would be prepared to sign a new deal.

It kills me watching Wallace at LB, but I do support Warburton on this point. I hope he continues to freeze Manning out if he’s still here after the deadline.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:41 am

SM wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:22 am
It’s a very odd situation with Manning. He won’t sign a new deal because he wants a move to a bigger club, but we’ve not had any firm offer for him.

I think the difference is that whilst BOS also wants the same, he’s indicated that he would be prepared to sign a new deal.

It kills me watching Wallace at LB, but I do support Warburton on this point. I hope he continues to freeze Manning out if he’s still here after the deadline.
I get the approach Warburton and the board are taking on this issue. But, looking at it dispassionately, what is wrong with a contracted employee saying they will not renew their contract but leave at the end of their existing agreement with their employers? Like everyone else, I don’t want my club taken advantage of but I can’t help thinking it would feel different if Manning’s situation was happening outside of football. Am I seeing this wrongly?

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:49 am

dm wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:41 am
SM wrote:

I get the approach Warburton and the board are taking on this issue. But, looking at it dispassionately, what is wrong with a contracted employee saying they will not renew their contract but leave at the end of their existing agreement with their employers? Like everyone else, I don’t want my club taken advantage of but I can’t help thinking it would feel different if Manning’s situation was happening outside of football. Am I seeing this wrongly?
No I don't think you are seeing this wrongly. It would be different outside of football but football is different. In normal life replacing an employee is easier in most cases I would argue than replacing an integral part of a football team. I think what the club are trying to say is that you can go of course but don't expect us to then to have to rely upon you while you are here we have the right to build a team without you. The player has to be told they don't hold all the aces.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:04 am

SM wrote:

Not sure I agree with you or Warburton on this. The clubs stance is such that we potentially get no playing value from the player in the final season of his contract despite paying his wages throughout. It's absolutely within his rights to indicate that he won't sign a new contract. Yes it's unfortunate that he wants to leave but, from my perspective, he'll play out of his skin to get a move to a Premier league team in January. That will only benefit QPR as, currently, we're missing his input on the pitch.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:58 am

QPR_John wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:49 am
dm wrote:
SM wrote:

No I don't think you are seeing this wrongly. It would be different outside of football but football is different. In normal life replacing an employee is easier in most cases I would argue than replacing an integral part of a football team. I think what the club are trying to say is that you can go of course but don't expect us to then to have to rely upon you while you are here we have the right to build a team without you. The player has to be told they don't hold all the aces.
Some good points there John, especially regarding players having a huge amount of power. How football has changed since I started watching it way back when players were treated with little more respect than cattle. Today, however, it does appear it's all swung too much the other way.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:29 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:58 am
QPR_John wrote:
dm wrote:

Some good points there John, especially regarding players having a huge amount of power. How football has changed since I started watching it way back when players were treated with little more respect than cattle. Today, however, it does appear it's all swung too much the other way.
I don't really see where the player has the power in this situation. He signed a contract to play for us for a number of years and, unless he's refusing to play (which I don't believe to be the case), then I don't see an abuse of his position. The only ones losing out by him not playing are QPR. To hear Warburton say that he doesn't want players enhancing their value whilst running down the clock on their contracts is farcical. It's the nature of contracts is it not, they end! Get as much value out of the player as we can. That's my view.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:29 pm

dm wrote:
QPR_John wrote:
dm wrote:

I don't really see where the player has the power in this situation. He signed a contract to play for us for a number of years and, unless he's refusing to play (which I don't believe to be the case), then I don't see an abuse of his position. The only ones losing out by him not playing are QPR. To hear Warburton say that he doesn't want players enhancing their value whilst running down the clock on their contracts is farcical. It's the nature of contracts is it not, they end! Get as much value out of the player as we can. That's my view.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:01 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:29 pm
dm wrote:
QPR_John wrote:

I get all that. Of course the player has the right to run down his contract but surely the club have the right to look after their own interests. The club want a transfer fee so I am sure any contract under these circumstances would have a buy out clause agreeable to both parties. Rangers are not saying to Manning they want to hold him to a contract if an offer comes in.

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:43 pm

I get all of that (i think), but if Manning doesn't sign a new contract then wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to either play him or terminate the contract? It would not do dressing room morale any good with a player who is not happy and as had been said already, we could see his best foitball if he wants to progress his career in the prem.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:32 pm

beaglebum wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:43 pm
I get all of that (i think), but if Manning doesn't sign a new contract then wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to either play him or terminate the contract? It would not do dressing room morale any good with a player who is not happy and as had been said already, we could see his best foitball if he wants to progress his career in the prem.
I can't see it would be in Manning's interest to have his contract terminated at the moment as he's no club to move on to yet.

However, you might be right that it's better to play him even if he doesn't want to commit to an extension to his contract. Of course, the club are under no obligation to play him but I am increasingly uneasy with this "Sign or you're not playing" tactic.

We don't know the full story as BOS still hasn't signed yet plays. They're apparently at 'different stages of negotiations' according to Warburton, but that tells us little.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:45 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:32 pm
beaglebum wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:43 pm
I can't see it would be in Manning's interest to have his contract terminated at the moment as he's no club to move on to yet.

However, you might be right that it's better to play him even if he doesn't want to commit to an extension to his contract. Of course, the club are under no obligation to play him but I am increasingly uneasy with this "Sign or you're not playing" tactic.

We don't know the full story as BOS still hasn't signed yet plays. They're apparently at 'different stages of negotiations' according to Warburton, but that tells us little.
There are rumours that Bournemouth are interested in BOS.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.