Taking a knee

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Taking a knee

Post by Satch » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:25 pm

It was mentioned at half time that we aren't going to be kneeling before games, both teams were given the option and we chose not to. Has anyone heard anything from the club as to why? I'm disappointed we aren't and especially as we don't seem to have articulated why in advance.

Barry
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Taking a knee

Post by Barry » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:44 am

They did it for 9 games last season. What is the need for it to carry on?

We have the most diverse coaching, back room and management team in the whole league with a strong number of BAME players. Surely that is the best way to be enforcing BLM in football rather than taking a knee to keep Sky happy?!

Sky commenting on that before discussing the football lays their agenda out straight away. Did you see any of their panel endorsing BLM by way of a pin badge on that programme?
QPR & Ireland

Paul Fitz
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Paul Fitz » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:18 am

It’s gotta stop sometime, certainly before crowds are allowed in. Why not begin with probably the most diverse club in all divisions. The symbol is not universally supported, seems driven more by SKy than anyone. If ever there was a club that represented anti-racism, ours is it.
Alone again in the lap of luxury

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:28 am

Personally think it has more resonance if individuals decide for themselves rather than an edict from the club anyway

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:30 am

Barry wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:44 am
They did it for 9 games last season. What is the need for it to carry on?

We have the most diverse coaching, back room and management team in the whole league with a strong number of BAME players. Surely that is the best way to be enforcing BLM in football rather than taking a knee to keep Sky happy?!

Sky commenting on that before discussing the football lays their agenda out straight away. Did you see any of their panel endorsing BLM by way of a pin badge on that programme?
Yes, the ex Reading chap (McAnuff) was wearing a BLM badge.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Perhaps the EPL, EFL and Sky heard what happened to the NBA TV ratings in the US?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Paul Fitz wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:18 am
It’s gotta stop sometime, certainly before crowds are allowed in. Why not begin with probably the most diverse club in all divisions. The symbol is not universally supported, seems driven more by SKy than anyone. If ever there was a club that represented anti-racism, ours is it.
"Certainly before crowds are allowed in". Why ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:54 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:57 pm
Paul Fitz wrote:
Really Ux?

It's not well supported by the majority of fans and will likely be booed....
2020/2021.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

DroopStreetOldBoys
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by DroopStreetOldBoys » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:52 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:54 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Paul Fitz wrote:
Really Ux?

Who told you that? Polls show overwhelming support for BLM in 18-24 year olds, people still in education and those with degrees. It's true that support amongst the over 65s (they should be staying home anyway) and the uneducated was much much lower, but even then, not supporting isn't the same as opposing. There may well be a bunch of right-wing numpties booing though.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:43 am

DroopStreetOldBoys wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:52 am
Systemsguy wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

Really Ux?

Who told you that? Polls show overwhelming support for BLM in 18-24 year olds, people still in education and those with degrees. It's true that support amongst the over 65s (they should be staying home anyway) and the uneducated was much much lower, but even then, not supporting isn't the same as opposing. There may well be a bunch of right-wing numpties booing though.
This ^^^
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:58 am

Systemsguy wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

Really Ux?

Your comment on "the uneducated" is not good. Are those without a degree really less likely support BLM? I think not. Indeed, those that started the movement are unlikely to have such a background.

And, does "education" necessarily make a person more egalitarian? Again, I think not. I'm sure we can all think of highly educated people who are racist.

Education at any level can be a wonderful thing but, in and of itself, it is not the answer to a just and fair society.

Spencer
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Spencer » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:35 am

Systemsguy wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

Really Ux?

Being 62 next year, appears that I have only 3 years left to support my club at home , before reaching for inhaler. Should we now put an age limit on fans ? Fat people maybe should stay away....Gingers..well you might as well just f..k off now.
The same 18-24 year olds that think COVID is a conspiracy, doesn't apply top them when they book their Greek holidays....as they have had such a bad time over the past 5 months.,.?
The same right wing numpties that were jeering Didier Drogba years ago and other black players, not realising ..we had black players in our team !!

COVID and BLM dominates 2020 and will into 2021and beyond.
I think taking the knee should be a personal decision, but I feel whatever happens....people will not agree.

I sit in R Block, next to a young black lady and her son. Had a few long conversations in the past about the problems she has encountered with racism in her life and at QPR. I think as a club, QPR have been very supportive and one of the leaders in their fight against racism.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:29 am

I don't know about the level of support (and people who haven't been to university aren't "uneducated") but I don't think people will boo.
A lot of people object to the events to mark remembrance day but they don't go as far as booing during the minute's silence.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:53 am

Systemsguy wrote:
UxbridgeR wrote:

Really Ux?

I think, I hope, you did not mean that the why it read.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:38 am

A minute's silence..... Remember that?

Has been changed to mostly a minutes applause to stop the ignorant from ruining it....

You asked a question, I gave you I believe an honest answer...

I love your answer Spencer.... Uneducated and over 65's.... What a plum!

The educated 18 - 24 ?

Covid denier's and desperate last minute holiday makers....

Greek Islands off the list? Don't worry Turkey's available....
2020/2021.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....