Coventry match

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

Re: Coventry match

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Forty years ago Terry Venables was our boss. His view was a simple one ... you build from the back. Tactics and formations within football have changed dramatically over the last forty years, but that basic principal holds true today.

So, we either replace some of the personnel in our back four - we definitely need a left back, and/or we we get them working as a unit. Something like the famed Arsenal back four who were so stingy, but provided Arsenal with the solid base on which so much of Wenger's early success was built.

It's not rocket science. A review of the footage from Friday night will give plenty of examples of how much work is needed to be done with our defence.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:08 pm

Not trying to be funny, Zenith, but I think the keywords there are "forty years ago". That was a time when we as fans cheered Terry Fenwick holding his arm aloft and sang "Offside, Offside" in celebration. The game has changed and the emphasis is much more on attacking play these days, which I think is very much for the better. That doesn't mean we shouldn't look to defend properly, but it isn't "a simple game" any more, and harking back to a time when it was won't help in my view.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:44 pm

In true R's supporter mode, the only joy this weekend seeing the Scum faltering at home :D
Staff Benda Bilili

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:35 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:44 pm
In true R's supporter mode, the only joy this weekend seeing the Scum faltering at home :D
At least their GK showed that he was value for money.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:48 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:08 pm
Not trying to be funny, Zenith, but I think the keywords there are "forty years ago". That was a time when we as fans cheered Terry fondle holding his arm aloft and sang "Offside, Offside" in celebration. The game has changed and the emphasis is much more on attacking play these days, which I think is very much for the better. That doesn't mean we shouldn't look to defend properly, but it isn't "a simple game" any more, and harking back to a time when it was won't help in my view.
My point is ... the defence isn't working, not individually or as a unit. Just watch a re-run of Friday's game to see that. I'm not suggesting we revert to tactics from forty years ago. Just that we need to fix the defence first. Watch any team who won something last season, they had a strong defence who worked together. We conceded 82 goals last season in 50 games - that tells it's own story. We only avoided trouble because we scored 76 goals of our own. This season, we have conceded 6 in 3 games - at that rate we are looking at over 80 again.

Joe Lumley seems to be the scapegoat, but the defenders in front of him offered no protection for any of the goals we conceded on Friday. We don't have the money to buy a new defence, so working with them individually and collectively would be the way to go. Not that different from what Venables was proposing. I would point out - he got us promoted and to our only FA Cup final, so he probably wasn't too far off the mark.

Tactics are one thing, getting the basics right is something else.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:55 pm

QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:32 pm
Sorry but I personally don’t think Kakay is good enough..sorry if people disagree with that!
I've got my doubts about Kakay being good enough for the Championship, but honestly, I don't think he did anything against Coventry of significant concern. Others though..

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:01 pm

The one thing with this game that really frustrated me is that we focused on retaining possession, but just constantly hit wayward long balls and gave possession away. If we're going to focus on retaining possession, we should be moving up with pitch with the ball whilst doing so. Hitting a 30 yard pass to their goal keeper or CB just defeats the purpose of retaining possession in the first place.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:03 pm

Three very poorly defended goals. Says it all.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:36 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:55 pm
QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:32 pm
Sorry but I personally don’t think Kakay is good enough..sorry if people disagree with that!
I've got my doubts about Kakay being good enough for the Championship, but honestly, I don't think he did anything against Coventry of significant concern. Others though..
Exactly! I really hope he proves me wrong but I just don’t think he’s cut up for this level quite yet! People often moaned about Furlong playing at RB but I thought he had more about him...but that’s just my opinion
CMON U SUPPA HOOOPSA!!!!