Coventry match

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Coventry match

Post by Rbee » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 pm

The only goal I would question Lumley for would be the second. Rooted to his line.

Far more of a concern is why Dykes, Cameron and Barbet are not taking control at corners. They had free headers from corners before they scored, the warning signs were huge but we still conceded.

Paul Fitz
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Paul Fitz » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Wallace suffered from the worse case of ball watching I’ve seen in years. Amateurish.
Alone again in the lap of luxury

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:48 pm
Lee Wallace. :lol:
Agreed
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by trevsinclair85 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Lee Wallace has definitely had one too many scotch on the rocks.

Lumley’s a joke.

Barbet is cr4p.

Chair had a poor game, and took too much momentum out of the game tonight by being too slow and constantly going backwards.

Kakay did well again. Amos and Carroll looked lively in the first half. But our defence is shocking.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Rbee wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 pm
The only goal I would question Lumley for would be the second. Rooted to his line.

Far more of a concern is why Dykes, Cameron and Barbet are not taking control at corners. They had free headers from corners before they scored, the warning signs were huge but we still conceded.
I'm not sure he would have had a chance anyway, but he certainly should be moving towards the attacking player rather than remaining static on his line. I agree on the corners as well.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:16 pm

trevsinclair85 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:08 pm
Lee Wallace has definitely had one too many scotch on the rocks.

Lumley’s a joke.

Barbet is cr4p.
Chair had a poor game, and took too much momentum out of the game tonight by being too slow and constantly going backwards.
Kakay did well again. Amos and Carroll looked lively in the first half. But our defence is shocking.
We certainly need to go more direct at times. I wonder if the management team know that 4-3-3 is coming back in ?
Come on you Sooopa ........

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:17 pm

My thoughts ...

* Too often we passed backwards
* We had no pace
* We didn't stretch their back four, and gave them far too much time to get into position
* Having been comfortably on top in the first half, we didn't press our advantage
* We missed Manning - not as a left back, but I think he'll bring more to the midfield than Amos or Carroll did tonight
* Cameron's frustration showed towards the end, and he was lucky not to receive a card
* Lumley is taking the flak, but his defence gave him no cover for any of the goals. He was left totally exposed
* We have some big guys in our defence, but they were easily out jumped.

* Once again our set pieces were poor (despite Barbet's goal).

In summary ... lots of work needed on the training ground next week.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:24 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:08 pm
Rbee wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 pm

I'm not sure he would have had a chance anyway, but he certainly should be moving towards the attacking player rather than remaining static on his line. I agree on the corners as well.
As Rob Green said if you are not confident of winning your headers make sure they don’t get a clear one themselves. Even if we had nicked a point I would still be angry with that performance.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:32 am

Devonranger wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:56 pm
Scored a penalty and from a set piece - would be interwsted to know how many shots on target did we create from open play?
According to Who Scored we had 3 shots on target excluding the penalty but including Barbet's goal. Coventry had 5.

Most of the criticism of the match will again be about our defence, and rightly so. However, we had 63.4% possession with 573 passes and an 86% pass success rate. Yet we lost 3-2 - the most important stat of all. We play a possession based game so more work must be done on what we do with the ball when we've got it.

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:50 am

dm wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:32 am
According to Who Scored we had 3 shots on target excluding the penalty but including Barbet's goal. Coventry had 5.

Most of the criticism of the match will again be about our defence, and rightly so. However, we had 63.4% possession with 573 passes and an 86% pass success rate. Yet we lost 3-2 - the most important stat of all. We play a possession based game so more work must be done on what we do with the ball when we've got it.
We need to be more direct, particularly with Dykes upfront. We had numerous chances to hit them on the break but slowed the game down and let them get back in position.

That really was an infuriating game. Go one up with a few minutes to half time and any team worth its salt gets to the break in control. Instead, we concede a shocker and the momentum swings. It will be very interesting to see the line-up for Boro next week - we simply can't keep playing people who aren't good enough at this level. Lumley barely saves anything and our left-hand side was a free pass for the entire second half because of Wallace.

Warburton needs to step up and show he can change things. I love our reputation for free-flowing football from the 70s but playing like we did last night is annoying, rather than entertaining. Any team with decent game management gets that goal in the first half and wins the match.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:07 am

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:50 am
dm wrote:

We need to be more direct, particularly with Dykes upfront. We had numerous chances to hit them on the break but slowed the game down and let them get back in position.

That really was an infuriating game. Go one up with a few minutes to half time and any team worth its salt gets to the break in control. Instead, we concede a shocker and the momentum swings. It will be very interesting to see the line-up for Boro next week - we simply can't keep playing people who aren't good enough at this level. Lumley barely saves anything and our left-hand side was a free pass for the entire second half because of Wallace.

Warburton needs to step up and show he can change things. I love our reputation for free-flowing football from the 70s but playing like we did last night is annoying, rather than entertaining. Any team with decent game management gets that goal in the first half and wins the match.
Being a little more direct would help, as would increasing the tempo and playing forward more. We saw last season that we can play in that way, so I'd expect us to do so again this season.

Wallace played well v Forest and was credited for his part in achieving the clean sheet. But against an arguably lesser team last night, he played badly and was out of position for at least one of their goals.

Lumley seemed to be very static for all their goals. Dieng should be given a chance if Lumley can't reach and maintain a good standard.

We have always known Warburton's style creates problems for the defence but the issues have yet to be solved. I wonder if he'll give the 352 formation another go? If I remember correctly 3 CBs seemed to help when tried last season.

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:38 am

dm wrote:
Devonranger wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:56 pm
Scored a penalty and from a set piece - would be interwsted to know how many shots on target did we create from open play?

Too often for us possession seems to be an end in itself, that said we usually use it better than we did last night. It was very frustrating to see the number of times we had the ball in midfield only for someone to turn sideways or backwards invariably followed by a long hoof upfield a moment later

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Blimey, what went on? Couldn't watch the match checked my phone 1 nil up then
the inevitable sucker punch then losing to a late set piece.
Defence hasn't been good enough the last 5 years, he needs a pacey, commanding
no 5, questions over Wallace & Amos for me too. A defender has to come in over the next
week or 2 because it's descending into farce.
Staff Benda Bilili

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:02 pm

I share many of the concerns expressed here, but it was not all bad. BOS had a great solo run and shot on target in the first half. The move that produced the corner, following which Barbet scored, was classy. But, when we had the long spell of domination in the first half, there was too little threat to their goal.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:34 am

QPR_John wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:46 pm
Not a tactical expert so if somebody can explain that performance and tell me what is happening please be my guest. On top, get a penalty then concede and fall to pieces. Maybe it is simple and we are a poor team easy to play against. I've thought for a while now that whoever is playing us knows they will get a chance and thus feel never beaten.
There's not much tactics to it, really. We defended like chumps.