Manning.

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

guyrob07

Manning.

Post by guyrob07 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:02 pm

Please can we play him as a left winger, don't get me wrong he's done a good job at times at LB but is qualities are as an attacker and not defending. Again his positional play was awful for the winning goal yesterday.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Manning.

Post by Esox Lucius » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Maybe he is trying to make a point, he is an attacking midfielder, not a defender?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

guyrob07

Post by guyrob07 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:29 pm

Forcing a move, sounds like transfer talk!

karateelvis
Logo Designer
Logo Designer

Post by karateelvis » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:19 pm

Definitely needs to be in a more attacking position than LB. I think LWB suits him best - playing with 3 CBs, but then if you play that formation what do you do with Bright? Play him more as an attacker?

I'd quite like to see us play 4-4-2 with Manning more of a wide-midfielder on the left and Bright as an out-and-out winger on the right, but unfortunately, we don't have two strikers, so that plan's f'd
"Every dog has its day, and today is woof day! Today I just want to bark!"

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:21 am

I know it would create another problem with nobody to play left back, but I would love to see him given a go in CM.

He’s got a lovely left foot, and it’s a big source of goals for us, but we’re going to need a bit of tenacity in that area of the pitch, and I’m struggling to see where it comes from at the moment.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:15 am

Since coming to us in 2015 Manning has suffered from a lack of positional identity. LB/LWB is the only position he's been able to tie down. We've tried him in various other slots but, for whatever reason, they've not worked.

His main strength is a great left peg with which he can cross, pass and shoot. However, he doesn't possess much pace or a trick to get past a defender and these may be contributory factors to why he's not selected in an out and out LM/Winger position.

As for playing him at DCM, when he's played there in the past I seem to remember him commiting a high number of fouls suggesting he struggled there. Our squad is now well stocked in the CM area and I don't think he'd offer anything better than we currently have.

My hope is he'll sign the extension to his contract and continue his development at LB/LWB. If he progresses, he might well get the move to a bigger club he clearly wants.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:26 am

Main obstacle to LWB is that the areas where we have the greatest shortage are striker and centre back. With only 1 full-fledged striker and only 3 proper CBs, 532 is not really on, regardless of what we do with the midfield.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:57 pm

guyrob07 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:02 pm
Please can we play him as a left winger, don't get me wrong he's done a good job at times at LB but is qualities are as an attacker and not defending. Again his positional play was awful for the winning goal yesterday.
His positional play was actually good as he was running with the striker. He turned around and looked at him but then for some reason stopped running with him. Reminded me of Boswinga.