Don't be clever Dickie

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Don't be clever Dickie

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:48 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:15 am
A subtle nuance to the new way of doing things appears to be a four year, rather than a three year contract offer. BOS & Manning may have played some part in that thinking.
I think you're right there. I'm a bit uncomfortable with routinely handing out 4 year contracts, as you can end up being stuck with players who clearly aren't up to the level required, but I can see it's a difficult balancing act. I assume the calculation is that having to pay players off in the latter scenario will ultimately be less costly overall than losing those who have significantly increased their value while with us on the cheap.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Don't be clever Dickie

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:42 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:48 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:15 am
A subtle nuance to the new way of doing things appears to be a four year, rather than a three year contract offer. BOS & Manning may have played some part in that thinking.
I think you're right there. I'm a bit uncomfortable with routinely handing out 4 year contracts, as you can end up being stuck with players who clearly aren't up to the level required, but I can see it's a difficult balancing act. I assume the calculation is that having to pay players off in the latter scenario will ultimately be less costly overall than losing those who have significantly increased their value while with us on the cheap.
I feel it gives the coaches the chance to develop the player and the timeframe is sufficient to see if they have what the club needs or not without it happening too close to the end of their contracts when they start seeing pounds signs in their heads. I can understand Manning's position to a small extent; he has the best attacking stats of all teams in the Championship last season and all he gets is pelters from his own fans because he can't defend like a defender should. Can you imagine the furore if Chair was asked to play in Mannings position because it was felt Mannings natural attacking abilities would be better utilised there?
Osayi-Samuel is a career player, he had no problems leaving Blackpool when the chance came and he won't have any problems leaving QPR when the time comes. I imagine it is only Lumley, Kakay and possibly Hamalainen who feel any loyalty to QPR in the current squad. It is the modern way unfortunately and I can't imagine us attending a QPR players testimonial match in the foreseeable future.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.