IF WE GOT 30 million ...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Bevan
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

IF WE GOT 30 million ...

Post by Bevan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:22 am

Hypothetically- we sell BOS for 5mil, Eze for 20 mil and manning for 5 mil .... 30 mil in the bank.

How much realistically would warbs be given to purchase new players? Do we think money would be reinvested or would the funds raised be used to pay down debt instead?

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: IF WE GOT 30 million ...

Post by QPR_John » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:32 am

Bevan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:22 am
Hypothetically- we sell BOS for 5mil, Eze for 20 mil and manning for 5 mil .... 30 mil in the bank.

How much realistically would warbs be given to purchase new players? Do we think money would be reinvested or would the funds raised be used to pay down debt instead?
While I accept any good offers for those three would have to be accepted the effect on the team of losing them could not be offset this coming season. So we must accept, whoever comes in, next season to be one of preparing the team for 21-22 with players on contracts where we are not faced with one year to run.

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:05 am

Bevan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:22 am

First, I do not think that we shall get that much for our best players, but, whatever income we receive from transfers, new players will have to be brought in to re-build the team and it goes almost without saying that they will not be 'like for like'. The playing style will change to suit the new blend, but, winning matches is about scoring more goals than the opposition and there are many different ways of doing that - check Arsenal (George Graham), Arsenal (Arsene Wenger), Manchester City (Guardiola), Liverpool (Klopp), Chelsea (Mourinho) or QPR (Sexton). It will be about making shrewd purchases and not necessarily well-known players. And remember that the purchase price is not the whole story - the salary of the incoming player matters, too. In the background is FFP and in that context, the recent history of the club.
Have faith. The management team at QPR seem to know what they are doing. Let's hope that the owners remain patient.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:25 am

I think most of us expect Eze, BOS and Manning to be sold this summer. I've assumed whatever we get for them will be used in part to purchase a few players with others coming in on frees and loans.

The rest I'd expect to be used to keep the club afloat during these financially difficult times. The outstanding FFP fine of £17m charge made two years ago is being paid over 10 years so there is no imperative to settle it in one go. What other outstanding debts does the club have?

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:45 am

I don't pretend to understand or know everything about FFP but a few things spring to mind when the club receives 20-30 million. In theory there is nowhere else for that money to go other than on the playing squad but to my mind it puts the club in an awkward situation. The way the club operates at the moment we run at a loss but stay within the 13 million limit we are allowed to lose each season. So in theory we could spend 33-43 million on the squad, whoo hoo!

However once again this puts us in to a sh1t or bust situation because we are highly unlikely to generate huge transfer fees at the end of the next season. Players arriving on big transfer fees require high salaries which once again creates huge problems for us two or three years down the line.

However if we don't invest the 20-30 million in the squad the money will simply slowly drift away covering our losses over the next few seasons rather than the club losing it's allotted 13 million each season.

A strange one for the club which requires a lot of consideration and thinking.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:34 pm

Hypothetically if all the money went on the squad, I'd hope we spread it over several seasons so we sustained our existing financial model and staved off the risk of getting ourselves into our previous financial position. Maybe 7.5m to invest in the squad each year over 4 years for example.

In saying that, I wouldn't mind if the club used the majority of that money to invest in making us a more sustainable club going forward - i.e paying off the FFP fine, then using the remainder on facilities/specific staff we need.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:32 pm

I thought the fine was being paid by the board and didn't directly affect QPR Holdings etc.
One scenario is that the money generated by these sales allow QPR to build up a buffer against their financial losses whilst building a team that is close to realistically competing for promotion and when most of the pieces are in place the final parts of the jigsaw can be put in place with the best part of the permissible £39m losses. Similar to what Wolves did by buying EPL ready players in the season they were promoted and being fairly untouchable for most of that season because of the quality of players they had bought. Just a thought.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:36 pm

We didn't do too badly last summer spending sweet FA.

I'd like to see us spend a bit, but not go stupid. We don't have a good record, when we have cash on our hip.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:00 pm

A large chunk of the money is vital to offset our annual losses to keep us out of further FFP trouble. I can't remember the exact figure, but we need to make something like a £10m transfer profit for the next 2-3 years to stay out of trouble.

Eze, Manning and Bright together cost somewhat less than £2m. Their replacements may well cost even less, and though they may take a couple of years to develop, I have got confidence that we have finally found the right balance between keeping the club on a sustainable footing while producing players and a quality of football truly worthy of our traditions.

If we do get £30m, I would expect us to spend no more than £5-7m.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:44 am

Agree. We were not breaking even in the first place, and now COVID19 is going to seriously impact revenues.

I think it's unlikely we will get 30 million. 4 million for Manning, 8 million for BOS and 18 million for Eze seem like high-ish but reasonable values to me, but I doubt we will get good offers for all three. Also, I think we probably only *have to* sell one of them, financially speaking. So after the first sale we will be less keen to sell, even if we are still open to decent offers.

We could probably do with spending some of it on backroom staff, like scouts.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:21 am

jimjams wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:44 am
Agree. We were not breaking even in the first place, and now COVID19 is going to seriously impact revenues.

I think it's unlikely we will get 30 million. 4 million for Manning, 8 million for BOS and 18 million for Eze seem like high-ish but reasonable values to me, but I doubt we will get good offers for all three. Also, I think we probably only *have to* sell one of them, financially speaking. So after the first sale we will be less keen to sell, even if we are still open to decent offers.

What is the current state of the scouting set up? You never see the club talking about it since Penrice left and the club said that he (Penrice) had left the scouting in a good place.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:28 am

jimjams wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:44 am

I wish you were right about not having to sell all three. However, Manning and BOS are not going to extend their contracts with us which expire next year so we must sell now - or possibly but at greater risk in the winter - or face them leaving for nothing. While he's still with us I think Eze's value is as high as it will ever be so we need to cash on him this summer.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:32 pm

dm wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:28 am
I wish you were right about not having to sell all three. However, Manning and BOS are not going to extend their contracts with us which expire next year so we must sell now - or possibly but at greater risk in the winter - or face them leaving for nothing. While he's still with us I think Eze's value is as high as it will ever be so we need to cash on him this summer.
I mostly agree (although I think we'd get something in arbitration for BOS). But I mean it strictly in the financial sense. Particularly if Manning goes for a good fee, I think the club will feel quite comfortable turning down, say, 10 million for Eze.
MW has also said we don't know who we are going to lose, which suggests we don't *have* to sell all of them. But again the club's been quite open that if good enough offers come in, they will accept. If we get offered a total 30 million, I'm sure they will all go.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:52 pm

It's terrible, young Ebere hasn't even left and I'm missing his skill and class already. :(

Still, that's happened before and we've gone on to produce more talent. :)
Staff Benda Bilili

thebigfatchef
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by thebigfatchef » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 pm

What ever we get for the sale of the 3 mentioned players, as long as we invest back into next seasons team will be fine with me.
In my opinion it will be a very hard, long and relegation prone season if we don't spend wisely.

aniwall