Wigan

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Post Reply
ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:39 pm

Wigan

Post by ANDREW1302 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 pm

Can we have a bit of what they have been taking. Now above us in the table. How many points were we ahead of them? Was it 11?

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5176
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: Wigan

Post by Albert Steptoe » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 pm

Eight clean sheets in a row. Presumably they actually employ someone who tells the defence to close players down or pick attackers up at set pieces. Doubt they've got a Director of Football though. #priorities

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5176
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: Wigan

Post by Albert Steptoe » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 am

Just got into administration too - think that nails on the home win next week.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9282
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Wigan

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:41 am
Just got into administration too - think that nails on the home win next week.
I think the going rate is a 12 point deduction - that will put them bottom, and us back up to 14th place.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 4790
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Wigan

Post by Giorgio » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:31 pm

...if I am not wrong, just before the break for the Covid, I read about few clubs possibly in trouble for financial reasons and facing points deductions...
One mentioned was Sheffield Wed. another one - but not sure - Birmingham City (again ?) ....so the table could see some more adjustments when we get to the end of this season...

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6548
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Wigan

Post by QPR_John » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:42 pm

From EFL website

As a result of Wigan Athletic confirming they have entered into administration, the Club will be subject to a 12-point deduction and, in accordance with EFL Regulations, the timing of the sporting sanction can only be determined once final league placings in the Championship are determined.

If in the event the Club is relegated by virtue of their final position following the conclusion of the Championship season, then the deduction will apply in League One in 2020/21. However, if the Club is not in the relegation places following the final game of season, the sanction will be then be applied to their season 2019/20 total and final league standings amended as appropriate.

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 4790
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Wigan

Post by Giorgio » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:51 pm

...that's fair....what reason to deduct 12 points if they could be already relegated, not changing anything....?
But as they stand now it looks like they could avoid the relegation and then the deduction might kick them down....

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9282
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Wigan

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:53 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:42 pm
From EFL website

As a result of Wigan Athletic confirming they have entered into administration, the Club will be subject to a 12-point deduction and, in accordance with EFL Regulations, the timing of the sporting sanction can only be determined once final league placings in the Championship are determined.

If in the event the Club is relegated by virtue of their final position following the conclusion of the Championship season, then the deduction will apply in League One in 2020/21. However, if the Club is not in the relegation places following the final game of season, the sanction will be then be applied to their season 2019/20 total and final league standings amended as appropriate.
So, the only way for them to avoid relegation is to get to a point where at the end of the season they are 12+ points clear of the relegation zone. They are currently 8 points ahead. Expect them to be 100% focused next week when we play them.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3829
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Wigan

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:09 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:53 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:42 pm
From EFL website

As a result of Wigan Athletic confirming they have entered into administration, the Club will be subject to a 12-point deduction and, in accordance with EFL Regulations, the timing of the sporting sanction can only be determined once final league placings in the Championship are determined.

If in the event the Club is relegated by virtue of their final position following the conclusion of the Championship season, then the deduction will apply in League One in 2020/21. However, if the Club is not in the relegation places following the final game of season, the sanction will be then be applied to their season 2019/20 total and final league standings amended as appropriate.
So, the only way for them to avoid relegation is to get to a point where at the end of the season they are 12+ points clear of the relegation zone. They are currently 8 points ahead. Expect them to be 100% focused next week when we play them.
Also 100% expect us not to get a win there, I strongly suspect they will score first as has been
our generosity over the recent past.
Staff Benda Bilili

User avatar
beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: Wigan

Post by beaglebum » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:02 am

I don't know the full details but seems a bit unfair if covid-19 is the only reason why they have gone into administration. You would think the pts deduction would be waived.

User avatar
ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am
Location: The daddy of Abbots

Re: Wigan

Post by ActonArthur » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:03 am

https://twitter.com/marksparko/status/1 ... 6335836163

If this is true then it surely must be one of the most elaborate scandals in footballing history

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9282
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Wigan

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:57 pm

If this is true, I hope Wigan finish the season at least 13 points above the relegation zone. That way a 12 point deduction won’t matter, someone who has tried to scam Wigan and English football will lose a lot of money, the integrity of our competition will be protected, and maybe others will think twice before trying this again.

The EFL’s fit and proper person checks are a joke. They are absolutely the wrong people to be managing the FFP process, and there are some hard questions that need to be answered by them.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Post Reply