The day after - My personal thoughts

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

The day after - My personal thoughts

Post by Giorgio » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:04 pm

...ok...we were poor, we did not play...but....I think they were smart.
I mean....all this season what has been our best weapon to mess up the opponents' defence ??
BOS...the guy running down the wings...opening them apart. One-to-one he is almost unstoppable.
So, what did they do yesterday...? Very simple. They put two if not three defenders on him, blocking his path and preventing him to play as usual.
And we helped them....how..? Playing one single striker - Hugill - up front, thus allowing them the chance to move the defenders to the wing to work on BOS. At home...I insist on this point....We MUST play two strikers up front. One is good away..but not enough at home.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: The day after - My personal thoughts

Post by 222gers » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:20 pm

Barnsley were quickly out of the traps whereas we took half an hour to get going. We were pretty decent in the second half but I'm sure we'll be aware and start more Brightly
in the next fixture.

The Masterson/Barbet central defence needs working on and surely Manning won't play so badly again.

Chins up !

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:14 pm

222gers wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:20 pm
Barnsley were quickly out of the traps whereas we took half an hour to get going. We were pretty decent in the second half but I'm sure we'll be aware and start more Brightly
in the next fixture.

The Masterson/Barbet central defence needs working on and surely Manning won't play so badly again.

Chins up !
...we did not play the first half...they did....they had two clear chances in the first 15 minutes, taking one...but after that they did nothing much in terms of creating....they were good chasing the ball and occupying the entire field, closing all the gaps. We were not existing...terrible.
We looked like the bottom-of-the-table team between the two... :( :(

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:04 pm
I mean....all this season what has been our best weapon to mess up the opponents' defence ??
BOS...the guy running down the wings...opening them apart. One-to-one he is almost unstoppable.
So, what did they do yesterday...? Very simple. They put two if not three defenders on him, blocking his path and preventing him to play as usual.
And we helped them....how..? Playing one single striker - Hugill - up front, thus allowing them the chance to move the defenders to the wing to work on BOS. At home...I insist on this point....We MUST play two strikers up front. One is good away..but not enough at home.
Which other striker would you play with him ? The only options are Oteh, who has very limited experience and is arguably not good enough for this level, or throwing in an untried youngster.

We've got enough attacking options to play off a single striker, and while our forward play was one-dimensional in the first half, I thought it did improve when Shodipo came on and Chair got more into the game.

Any home advantage is lost without the crowd really, so I don't know why you would insist on two strikers at LR, but not away.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:06 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:30 pm
Which other striker would you play with him ?
..any...one only...we saw it yesterday...defense was not threatened at all...and we played the bottom of the leauge....

..any way ..I repeat that this is my personal opinion...

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:53 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:30 pm
Giorgio wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:04 pm
Which other striker would you play with him ? The only options are Oteh, who has very limited experience and is arguably not good enough for this level, or throwing in an untried youngster.

We've got enough attacking options to play off a single striker, and while our forward play was one-dimensional in the first half, I thought it did improve when Shodipo came on and Chair got more into the game.

Any home advantage is lost without the crowd really, so I don't know why you would insist on two strikers at LR, but not away.
Clarke on the other wing would've torn them a new one.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

QPR-CMOB
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by QPR-CMOB » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:19 pm

The first half was woeful and whilst the second half was much better the overall performance and result was especially disappointing given a win would have put us four points off the playoffs. Now please don’t misunderstand do I think we are good enough to get into the playoffs no but it would have been nice to see us make more of a go of it .I completely understand why Pugh and Hall left but the message it sent was that season is over when after months in lockdown we would all love to see if we could be entertained , maybe go on a run and make a little challenge for the top 6-8 spots.
I will be so interested to see how Amos career pans out not only was he dross in the first half but I don’t think he has progressed during his time at QPR . Pugh and Halls departure made us significantly weaker in certain areas of the field and our squad looks paper thin. Would love MW to enlighten us as to what the purpose of the next several games is going to be but all we will probably get from him and Les is the usual punch lines and spin and I for one will be upset if so much of the positives and good things that have been achieved this season are allowed to fizzle out over the next few weeks.
HAD ENOUGH OF THE COWBOYS .... QPR NEED THE INDIANS.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:30 am

There will be noises made over the financial position of the club, cutting our cloth
and suchlike, disturbingly Oteh is way off the pace as a striker and for me
personally the scouting setup needs to improve if we're to live in the clubs new
austerity mode.

An 18 year old got a hat-trick for Derby over the weekend.
Staff Benda Bilili

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:19 pm

My thoughts are ....

The players hadn't played a competitive game in three months.
They were playing in an environment unlike any other they had experienced in their professional career

Barnsley have 9 games to save themselves - and clearly were 'up for it' from the first whistle.
At 0-1 they could hold on to what they had.
Several of our players looked 'rusty' and that will only improve in the next 2-3 games

We need to get our free kick takers doing extra practice after training - Beckham apparently stayed back and took 100 free kicks after training - the results were there to see. Our free kicks routinely either hit the wall, miss the target of go safely into the goalies hands without him having to move. Having someone who can regularly hit the net from 20 yards at a dead ball situation is worth its weight in gold. Either that or get El Tel round to tell them about being creative and thinking outside the box.

It was one game, lets not get too upset, I'm still hopeful we will get a top half finish.

Financially the world has changed, get used to it.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:54 pm

A spark of hope in a poor game for QPR; Eze made 10 successful dribbles in the game, the most in a single game in the Championship this season. Did anyone else notice that very quick passing interchange between Eze & Manning in the 2nd half? The commentators obviously missed it as they talked over it and never mentioned it afterwards. :shock:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:58 am

BOS is known for drawing multiple defenders, as is Eze. It's OK when this happens, because they can handle it, and it creates space elsewhere, but obviously it makes it more difficult to get the ball to them. Problem is, we didn't move the ball around quickly or effectively enough to create good passing opportunities and when we did pass to BOS, it was often speculative and lacking in quality. Rangel and Manning didn't use the ball well and Masterson and Barbet didn't link up well, at least to start with. I think the back four and the defensive midfield will improve, though.
Personally, I don't think Saturday is all that ominous.