Barnsley game

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

Re: Barnsley game

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 pm

Montag wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:54 pm
old pauline wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:17 pm
Montag wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:04 pm

I can't understand how they couldn't convince Hall and Pugh to hang on till the season was finished on a game by game basis. Pugh for me is a damn sight more useful than Amos. MW has done really well with what he's got but I wonder how he would've done had he been appointed in 2015 when we were relegated? I think we'll see some changes in the next match.
I wouldn't bank on seeing too many. We've got Cameron and one or two other part-time 1st team players to juggle the pack with. You seem to be missing the point that we are shedding highly paid players so we can endeavour to operate within our means.
Cameron, Clarke, Wallace would be worth a go now. The only way out of this cul de sac is promotion. It wouldn't have broken the bank to offer a 6 week extension to the players who are gone. It's a defeatist and morally wrong attitude. Anyone know what the Dofs and CE's Salaries are?
Norwich ripped up the Championship last season, and are cannon fodder in the Prem this year.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:11 pm

Thanks for clarifying the player situation, Zen. Yes, Norwich have been savaged week in and week out but that's no guarantee it would happen to us. Again. whistle
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:26 pm

...changing completely subject...back to the match.....the late foul on Manning that got a yellow to the Barnsley player, looked like a straight red one to me, my impression confirmed later by a ref who talked with a friend. Bad late foul, from behind, going for the legs, the ball pretty far away...You do not really need to kill the player to gain a red.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not changing the result of course, but I like to see things properly done throughout the entire match....

PS. Looking at it again, it reminded me a lot Wembley 2014 ...O'Neil sent off...similar foul...
Last edited by Giorgio on Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:39 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 pm
Norwich ripped up the Championship last season, and are cannon fodder in the Prem this year.
But they haven't spent much money and will come down with millions in the bank and far better prepared for another promotion than the likes of us, who are experiencing death by a thousand cuts. Like I said, Flavio got us up within four years - that's the kind of person we need in charge, rather than the likes of Ferdinand. The only way out of this limbo is promotion and a new ground, not signing Jack Clarke on loan to sit on the bench because you want to do your favourite club a favour.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:58 pm

LOL, yeah let's bring back Flavio. For those of us who weren't in a coma during his appalling 'reign', the mess he left behind is precisely why we now need Ferdinand, Hoos and their like.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:16 pm

...no, please...not Flavio...ok he is ambitious and got a lot of success in his life - just look at the women that surrounded him :wink: :wink: :wink: - but he is a prick....and he is a Juventus fan, that is the worst possible kind of person on the earth... :twisted: :twisted:

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:42 pm
222gers wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:47 pm
Welcome back Albert.
It's important to make these observations. We have no ambition - win today at home to the division's bottom team and we would have been four points off the play-offs. As it is, season over. I'd take Flavio's ruthless ambition back in a heartbeat - people laugh at the four-year plan but it worked. Ferdinand's been calling the shots for far longer than that and we can't even take a point off Barnsley. Mind you, even Heidi Klum would be more use than our DoF.
It seems a bit remiss to pine for Briatore's "ambition" without also recalling his ignorance(footballing and otherwise), arrogance and narcissism, not to mention to his transparent contempt for our "£20" fans. His ambition was to turn us into a boutique club with a global brand and win the Champions League. Apparently the best route to achieving that was throwing silly money at average players, sacking managers every few months and trying to pick the team himself. We eventually succeeded when he was persuaded to stop sticking his oar in, and for such an ambitious bloke, he couldn't sell up fast up enough once we got to the PL. Anyone with a four year plan to throw enough shit and hope that eventually some of it sticks would be rightly laughed out the door today. That's progress in my book.

And by the way, I don't recall you cheering the man on while he was here. Funny the tricks memory plays.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:55 pm

My point is that Flavio succeeded - he got us into the Premier League. The failure came afterwards. It's very easy to 'suceed' if you consistently lower expectations like Ferdinand and Hoos do. It suits the board too as they're just hanging around waiting to recoup some of their money from property sales. Ferdinand and Hoos are very vocal in the media despite achieving little - for example, Hoos' recent outburst over the 'early' restart. Actions speak louder than words.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:55 pm
My point is that Flavio succeeded - he got us into the Premier League. The failure came afterwards. It's very easy to 'suceed' if you consistently lower expectations like Ferdinand and Hoos do. It suits the board too as they're just hanging around waiting to recoup some of their money from property sales. Ferdinand and Hoos are very vocal in the media despite achieving little - for example, Hoos' recent outburst over the 'early' restart. Actions speak louder than words.
It depends on your definition of success.

In the current climate just having a club to support next season would be a success.
Since the days (and during) of Briatore, our club became a basket case - a real laughing stock. Have you forgotten guns in the Board room? We were paying silly money to players who didn't care, and that showed on the pitch. You might not like Hoos and Ferdinand, but we are in a much better place than we were before they arrived - on and off the pitch.

If the finances aren't right it's only a matter of time before things go wrong on the pitch - as we saw for ourselves fairly recently. Everyone wants success on the pitch, but that will take a little while to achieve. The league table doesn't lie, and at the moment there are 12 teams better than us in this division.

We haven't troubled the bottom three at any point this season, so I think that's an improvement on the last 2-3 years. I'd see that as success. Maybe/ hopefully next season we can finish closer to the top 6, another step forward.

It seems to me, that actually things are moving in the right direction, and that's good enough for me.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:48 pm

Briatore didn't succeed - Warnock and Bhatia did.

Can't understand how any serious fan could now know this.

C F Extremadura
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by C F Extremadura » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:47 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:48 pm

Gavin Mahon :shock:

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:19 am

Greyhound wrote:

No, Flavio did succeed. You can't attribute the success purely to other people because you don't like the man.

Flavio's ruthless pursuit of success is what we need now, rather than a bunch of overpaid, overpromoted executives who aspire to mediocrity. Why was Hoos apoplectic over the timing of the restart? Aren't Ferdinand and co. paid enough to get us ready to play on time after three months out?

Sadly, the supporter base has largely accepted mediocrity by now and clap along happily while Brentford eye the Premier League.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:39 am

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:19 am
Greyhound wrote:

No, Flavio did succeed. You can't attribute the success purely to other people because you don't like the man.

Flavio's ruthless pursuit of success is what we need now, rather than a bunch of overpaid, overpromoted executives who aspire to mediocrity. Why was Hoos apoplectic over the timing of the restart? Aren't Ferdinand and co. paid enough to get us ready to play on time after three months out?

Sadly, the supporter base has largely accepted mediocrity by now and clap along happily while Brentford eye the Premier League.
Oh dear! Your first line about not liking the man ... what about you and Hoos and Ferdinand?

Actually the answer is in your post. Brentford haven't been in the Premier League (ever). They are close, but not there yet - that has been achieved by a slow steady approach. Developing players picked up for nothing or nurtured through their youth teams, and then sold for a big profit which has been used to improve the club on and off the pitch. Which forgive me if I'm missing something - but isn't that exactly what we are trying to do now? The days of spending big money on transfers and wages got us nowhere, except with a huge amount of debt. It seems to me your judgement is clouded by your not liking Mr H or Mr F. Make no mistake the good ship QPR was well and truly broken by years of reckless spending, Hoos and Ferdinand are fixing that. If you can't see that or the bigger picture, it would explain your negativity.

One last thing ... it was the rush to have success now rather than taking a considered approach which caused the problem. Briatore's four year plan? I'm guessing we have something similar, just haven't called it that.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:44 am

Believe what you like Steptoe, but you obviously haven't got the faintest grasp of either the club's finances or its culture. Success for Briatore and his like is always about success for themselves, and relies largely on a phalanx of bootlickers. The club is and always will be bigger than petty tyrants like that.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:25 am

Greyhound wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:44 am
Believe what you like Steptoe, but you obviously haven't got the faintest grasp of either the club's finances or its culture. Success for Briatore and his like is always about success for themselves, and relies largely on a phalanx of bootlickers. The club is and always will be bigger than petty tyrants like that.
Steptoe's mantra is to hate everything about QPR and to gloat when we lose based on his posting history. He is typical of the fan who hankers after a time when (in his imagination) we were the best run and most attractive football team in the land and everything after his imaginary timeline is to be derided.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.