QPRs run in - harder than most?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

QPRs run in - harder than most?

Post by beaglebum » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:14 am

Ive been thinking alot about how the season will play out and when you look at it, the season being halted couldnt have come at a worse time for us. We were on a roll, unbeaten and looking towards the playoffs with some easier games coming up.

However with the restart i wonder how many players/ teams will give 100%. Realistically the teams in midtable (ie us) have nothing to play for whereas those easy games we have are now against teams who may be relegated. No different than before you may say, except the risk of catching something from another player has never been an issue until now, except when blood involved. So when we play Barnsley, Charlton, Luton etc will our players be as committed as theirs will be? Will our players think twice sbout going in for a 50:50 ball because of covid-19 fears?

I imagine the same can be said of the teams at the top. But i do wonder if in some of our players minds they must be thinking it would be easier to end the season now. And i can understand that.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: QPRs run in - harder than most?

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 am

If we thought we had a genuine shot at the play-offs before the break, that's surely still the case now, so arguably we've as much to play for as any of the teams at the bottom.

How the whole situation will affect players psychologically remains to be seen, but they're all young, fit men, who will be getting tested regularly, and will be better looked after than most of us should they be unfortunate enough to get infected. I think at that age, most people feel they're pretty invincible anyway, and won't worry too much about a virus that statistically is very unlikely to do them any harm.

If they're uncomfortable about playing under the current circumstances, you'd hope they would feel able to be honest with the club about it, as Troy Deeney has done at Watford. Better that than perform in a less than wholehearted fashion.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:09 pm

Think it's all going to be different. I've a feeling that more skillful teams will benefit from the lack of crowds over more high-intensity teams like Preston. And possibly older teams might adapt worse to the schedule.
Teams are not supposed to use hotels, so far away games could be tough (middlesboro especially).
I'm not convinced our run in is particularly tough or easy, but I guess a team like Barnsley might bounce back better than some others. We'll have to see. Roll on the football!

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:08 pm

beaglebum wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:14 am
Ive been thinking alot about how the season will play out and when you look at it, the season being halted couldnt have come at a worse time for us. We were on a roll, unbeaten and looking towards the playoffs with some easier games coming up.

However with the restart i wonder how many players/ teams will give 100%. Realistically the teams in midtable (ie us) have nothing to play for whereas those easy games we have are now against teams who may be relegated. No different than before you may say, except the risk of catching something from another player has never been an issue until now, except when blood involved. So when we play Barnsley, Charlton, Luton etc will our players be as committed as theirs will be? Will our players think twice sbout going in for a 50:50 ball because of covid-19 fears?

I imagine the same can be said of the teams at the top. But i do wonder if in some of our players minds they must be thinking it would be easier to end the season now. And i can understand that.
Surely if you are not committed as you might be for fear of the virus then threat of relegation is hardly going to change that.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:27 pm

This is our run-in comparatively to others:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:23 am

Looking at the results in the first 3 games, I'm sad to stay that my fears have been realised and the teams at the bottom are the only ones who have really performed so far and picking up pts. Charlton for instance were aggrieved with all the talk that they should be relegated if the season didn't restart and you can see with 7 pts in 3 games that their players have been motivated.

We can only hope that the pressure gets to the teams at the bottom and we get better with each game played, which i think we will. And that the talented youngsters realise they're not yet good enough for the premier league.