Next season

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: Next season

Post by dm » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:10 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:49 am
Great stuff this - let's replace the entire team and get a captain who shouts a lot - because that's what captains do, right?

While we're at it, what about a big man / little man combo in a 2 man forward line, 'proper wingers' who hug the touchline, and towering centre backs who can put their foot through the ball. We also need to ensure that the entire team run their arses off and - most importantly - look like they're trying. I'd like all of them to be young and hungry, while at the same time a few of them to be wise old heads. The goalkeeper should be over 7 foot and have thighs like tree trunks, to be able to kick the ball out of the ground at the far end.
I'm not quite sure what you meant, but this is how the squad will look at the end of the season:
3 loan players return to home clubs
3 players contracts expire including Cameron who'll be 35 in a few weeks and Rangel who'll be 38 in a few months
2 players at least sold
Pugh has already left

Should all the above depart, there'd be just 12 first team players in the squad. If Paul Smyth and one or two U23s make it into the first team squad that will help but still, the club could be looking at bringing in up to 10 new players.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:04 pm

I agree with you Dm. We are going to need close to a new player in every position. That said, it seems to be an annual occurrence now. Let's just hope that its not the equivalent of John Curtis, Zesh Rehman, Nicky Ward, Ji-Sung park, Stefan Moore, Ben Gladwin etc etc etc who we recruit in those respective positions.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:12 pm

It is going to be very difficult to build a competitive squad with a salary ceiling as low as possibly £7.5k p.w. if that. The only way that may be circumvented if QPR manage to get around £20m for Eze, £10-12m for BOS and £4-5m for Manning but where does that leaves us as an entertaining football club? As we saw so obviously with Seaman, Ferdinand etc. just because you sell your best player for good money it doesn't follow that you improve the team.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:58 pm

old pauline wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:04 pm
I agree with you Dm. We are going to need close to a new player in every position. That said, it seems to be an annual occurrence now. Let's just hope that its not the equivalent of John Curtis, Zesh Rehman, Nicky Ward, Ji-Sung park, Stefan Moore, Ben Gladwin etc etc etc who we recruit in those respective positions.
To be fair, those sorts of signings seem to be behind us now. Even though some haven't been great, they've been within our budget constraints and we no longer have twats like Bossingwa milking the club.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:52 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:10 pm
Greyhound wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:49 am
Great stuff this - let's replace the entire team and get a captain who shouts a lot - because that's what captains do, right?

While we're at it, what about a big man / little man combo in a 2 man forward line, 'proper wingers' who hug the touchline, and towering centre backs who can put their foot through the ball. We also need to ensure that the entire team run their arses off and - most importantly - look like they're trying. I'd like all of them to be young and hungry, while at the same time a few of them to be wise old heads. The goalkeeper should be over 7 foot and have thighs like tree trunks, to be able to kick the ball out of the ground at the far end.
I'm not quite sure what you meant, but this is how the squad will look at the end of the season:
3 loan players return to home clubs
3 players contracts expire including Cameron who'll be 35 in a few weeks and Rangel who'll be 38 in a few months
2 players at least sold
Pugh has already left

Should all the above depart, there'd be just 12 first team players in the squad. If Paul Smyth and one or two U23s make it into the first team squad that will help but still, the club could be looking at bringing in up to 10 new players.
It didn't turn out too badly when we did that last summer.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:41 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:52 pm
It didn't turn out too badly when we did that last summer.
That's very true, Zenith. And, last year's squad churn will almost certainly be greater than this year's. 15 new players came in and 12 players left in the summer of 2019.

My comment was made as an observation rather than a criticism. Given the effects on football of the CV pandemic and coming economic depression, together with the direction QPR has taken to be a selling club, I do wonder if a higher turnover of players will be a feature for some years to come.