Warren Farm no longer being developed

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Virginia_R

Warren Farm no longer being developed

Post by Virginia_R » Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 am

northernr
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Re: Warren Farm no longer being developed

Post by northernr » Wed May 06, 2020 9:08 am

interesting this, seems they have a better (cheaper) site...shame we have wasted so much money and time

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed May 06, 2020 9:11 am

Wow.

Genuinely didn’t see this coming (not being sarcastic). Sounded like the final pieces of the jigsaw were a mere formality.

What a waste of time and money.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed May 06, 2020 9:41 am

No surprise really, the club could have started development at the beginning of last year but nothing has happened.

I think the club would be crazy to start any development anywhere whilst the world is on hold. Sit tight and see what happens when we emerge from this which isn't going to be any time soon.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Wed May 06, 2020 8:54 pm

That came outta left field.

I'm also confused as to why we'd continue to help them build facilities when we're not going ahead with our training ground.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu May 07, 2020 7:32 am

deadendjob wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:54 pm
That came outta left field.

I'm also confused as to why we'd continue to help them build facilities when we're not going ahead with our training ground.
Part of an ongoing PR to keep H&F onside over the LCS? It would also be useful to have a say in a facility in the local area where they may pick up young talent, a site for Summer Soccer school tournaments which won't affect the training facilities? a place for the Tiger Cubs team to play? Lee Hoos doesn't strike me as an idiot so I will reserve judgement. On the subject of wasted money, didn't the protesters pick up the legal bills every single time during the reviews? Certainly time wasted, but we may have fared better over money.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 am

It's hardly fair to criticise the club for wasting time and money unless you think they should be able to predict the future. And presumably much of the development work for WF will enable a better approach to development of the new site.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Thu May 07, 2020 7:36 am

This is Ealing, not H&F, so no really relevant to LCS directly. However, an opportunity to sponsor local facilities in the community is something we have now come to expect from the club, which is a great turnaround.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Thu May 07, 2020 9:24 am

We live in a different world from the one we left in 2019...

Never interested until a spade of earth was turned

It at least finally closes the book on this and any worthwhile legacy from the TF years

The residents can keep their dog toilet....
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Fri May 08, 2020 12:18 am

Greyhound wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 am
It's hardly fair to criticise the club for wasting time and money unless you think they should be able to predict the future. And presumably much of the development work for WF will enable a better approach to development of the new site.
WLS did a fantastic timeline over the ‘progress’ made at WF over the past few years (see below).

The article intimates that it was our decision and we’ve identified a new mystery site. Why would we formally scrap WF unless we had the new area formally signed and agreed?

IMO it’s all spin. Once upon a time I believe that there was genuine commitment to this, now I’m very dubious.

We don’t even have to mention OOC and what a complete mess we made of that too...

March 2012
QPR confirm they are looking to build a training ground at Warren Farm. Philip Beard, then the club’s chief executive, subsequently tells West London Sport Rangers are in “the final stages” of drawing up their proposal and want building work to commence “as fast as possible.”

April 2012
QPR submit plans to Ealing Council to build a training ground on the site – the plans are subsequently revised in light of objections from local residents.

April 2013
Planning permission is granted by Ealing Council – QPR’s intention is to begin work within months and for the new training ground to be open by late 2015.

January 2014
After plans are revised again following more objections, a development agreement is signed by Ealing Council and QPR, who at this stage believe the training ground will be ready in 2016.

July 2014
West London Sport reveal QPR are considering scrapping the Warren Farm project.

August 2014
Tony Fernandes confirms QPR are considering scrapping the project and tells West London Sport it is because of delays caused by a series of objections lodged by opponents.

October 2014
West London Sport reveal QPR are set to go ahead with Warren Farm project – but a cheaper, scaled-down version with significantly more modest plans than the original proposals.

May 2015
QPR submit a revised planning application.

September 2015
The revised plans are approved by Ealing Council – but local objections continue.

July 2016
An application for a footpath across the site of the proposed training ground, which would have scuppered QPR’s plans, is rejected by Ealing Council’s Regulatory Committee – but the Hanwell Community Forum seek a judicial review of the original decision to give planning permission for a training ground.

November 2016
The Save Warren Farm group launches a crowdfunding appeal to raise money for the legal challenge.

March 2017
High Court upholds Ealing Council’s decision to grant planning permission – but opponents take case to the Court of Appeal.

March 2018
Court of Appeal’s judicial review upholds Ealing Council’s decision. Objectors are given 28 days to appeal.

April 2018
West London Sport reveal appeal has been lodged. Confirming the news, QPR say they will not give up.

October 2018
West London Sport reveal a ‘permission to appeal’ application is expected be considered by Supreme Court Justices within weeks. They will either throw the latest appeal out, potentially paving the way for QPR to begin work, or grant a Supreme Court appeal, which would prolong the legal battle until at least late 2019.

November 2018
After the application for a Supreme Court appeal is rejected, QPR announce that all legal avenues have been exhausted and construction can begin.

April 2020
Hanwell Nature secure a further judicial review.

May 2020
West London Sport reveal the project has been halted. QPR and Ealing Council later confirm the news.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri May 08, 2020 1:19 am

Thanks SM.... It is embarrassing seeing how shambolic it was as another of TF's big plans unravelled

Covid-19 for me was just the coup de grace moment for the project

Undeclosed agreements and building a training ground elsewhere?

Cynical.... Moi?

When a spade of earth is turned I'll be interested
2019/2020.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri May 08, 2020 5:43 am

The questions arise; where will it be and who will pay for it?

There's some fan speculation that could be the Concorde club where QPR's Academy train or the Harlington training ground. The positive would be the club would own rather than lease it. Nonetheless, it's yet another failure that ultimately comes down to the owners.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri May 08, 2020 7:26 am

I don't think all the money would have been spent on submitting a planning application and going through the courts if it was 'all spin'. I'm not sure but it could be that we are trying to force Ealing's hand by telling them that we are going elsewhere.
Come on you Sooopa ........

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri May 08, 2020 8:22 am

dm wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:43 am
The questions arise; where will it be and who will pay for it?

There's some fan speculation that could be the Concorde club where QPR's Academy train or the Harlington training ground. The positive would be the club would own rather than lease it. Nonetheless, it's yet another failure that ultimately comes down to the owners.
Well, that depends on a whole lot of unknown variables - where the new site is, when we can have it up and running, how cost effect the new venture is, whether ultimately it gives better value for money than the Warren Farm site.

Plus, how many people have looked to rent a house, and pulled out at the last minute because the opportunity to buy (possibly in a better area) has presented itself.

Like so much in the QPR story, only time will tell.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Fri May 08, 2020 8:26 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:19 am
Thanks SM.... It is embarrassing seeing how shambolic it was as another of TF's big plans unravelled

Covid-19 for me was just the coup de grace moment for the project

Undeclosed agreements and building a training ground elsewhere?

Cynical.... Moi?

When a spade of earth is turned I'll be interested
Totally agree.

There’s been so much hot air, multiple plans and designs drawn up and publicised... But here we are, almost a decade later, and we are no closer to what we were back at the start.

There was a lot of scepticism over WF prior to this announcement anyway. But to publicly step away from one site, without revealing anything about the next one and to just hide under a NDA doesn’t sit right with me.

If we were confident enough to go public over axing WF - we should more than be in a position to announce what / where the plan is for the next site. If it exists at all that is.