BCD All next season ?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

BCD All next season ?

Post by 222gers » Fri May 01, 2020 8:47 am

The Times this morning claiming that the authorities are preparing for the whole of next season to be played behind closed doors if no vaccine developed.
This would not surprise me in the least - many folk will be wary of attending if normal service is resumed before a proven vaccine is produced and administered.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: BCD All next season ?

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 01, 2020 9:49 am

It's a spectator sport. #nofootballwithoutfans
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

loonee
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by loonee » Fri May 01, 2020 11:00 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:49 am
So which would you prefer if it was either no football or games behind closed doors?

How are fans going to be allowed to attend before a vaccine is found?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat May 02, 2020 8:37 am

loonee wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:00 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:49 am
So which would you prefer if it was either no football or games behind closed doors?

How are fans going to be allowed to attend before a vaccine is found?
No football until a creditable vaccine is introduced and it is safe for fans to attend. It's a spectator sport. If that means no live football for 18 months then I look forward to our first game in November 2021. #nofootballwithoutfans
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat May 02, 2020 9:18 am

The more I think about it the more I think football should be put on the back burner - without fans in attendance it's just an academic exercise.
Gareth Ainsworth quoted in the paper this morning “I would be uncomfortable playing at a time when the pandemic is still going on. If on a street you've got one house celebrating a win and next door there's an ambulance outside....that just can't happen”

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sat May 02, 2020 12:40 pm

A football match without fans is like a training match. I see no use whatsover playing a whole season behind closed doors. Not many fans will watch televised games with no atmosphere, it will get boring really fast. I just can't see it happen. A vaccine is our best bet in returning to a 'normal'' life which includes football.

PeterS
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by PeterS » Sun May 03, 2020 1:32 am

Whilst the thought of BCD football fills me with horror what is the alternative for clubs like us? We would have no income and would be paying staff 75% of wages. Contracts would be wound down with players able to leave on a free. Eze and BOS leaving for zilch. No TV or sponsorship income is a disaster for a club like ours.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun May 03, 2020 5:13 am

I agree. Financial necessities will mean games behind closed doors. In addition to the TV money etc, with a model like ours, you probably don't want your playing assets sitting idle for too long.
If the government can really do 50k tests per day, I think people might be back in stadiums before Christmas.