You had to be there moments

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

You had to be there moments

Post by dm » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Just for fun, what have been your 'You had to be there' moments at football?

April 2010 away at Palace. At half time a Palace girl's team did a lap of honour in full kit. When they reached the away end one of the girls lifted her shirt to reveal a QPR shirt underneath. Oh, how we chortled!

The game finished 2-0 to QPR with Buzz scoring a screamer. Taarabt was in the team too.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: You had to be there moments

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:31 pm

Possibly Gigg Lane in the midweek. A shot from the warm up went into where we were standing and it was used for a kickabout until someone knocked it back on the pitch. Tony Roberts saw it and threw back to us and a short kickabout took place until a steward came over and took the ball and threw it back on the pitch... where Tony Roberts picked it up and threw it back to us. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Markybabar
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Markybabar » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Eric Sabin.

90th minute winner away at Grimsby.

Absolute Carnage in the away end.
I KNOW IAM, I'M SURE I AM, I'M RANGERS 'TILL I DIE!

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:07 am

Markybabar wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 pm
Eric Sabin.

90th minute winner away at Grimsby.

Absolute Carnage in the away end.
Oh yes! To date our only win there in a 90 minute match.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

trevsinclair85
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by trevsinclair85 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 am

0-2 down at home to Preston. Into injury time and we score 2 goals in a minute to rescue a point and all hell breaks loose! Amazing. Hugging strangers moment.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:55 am

Obviously the Play-Off final win against Derby in 2014, my best day as a Rangers supporter
and I go back a fair few years.

Before my time though I guess older R's would cite a March day in 1967 as the clubs best day ever.
Staff Benda Bilili

patrickqpr
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by patrickqpr » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:38 pm

The fifth goal going in against Newcastle and drawing the game 5-5. Will never forget that day!

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:36 pm

I was 13 when we beat Barnsley 3-1 in 97 at LR. and I’ve never forgotten the “walking in a Spencer wonder land” chant that felt so loud compared to today’s chanting. I must say though, it got back to something approaching those levels when we went up with Warnock, with Redknapp in the playoff Semi vs Wigan and when we stayed up (just) under Hughes.

My fave ever match was the Oldham playoff semi victory tho. Paul Furlong’s class in that moment seemed to shake off years of mediocrity.

Taken from QPR Report:

January 11, 1997: 23 Years Ago :o John Spencer Hattrick vs Barnsley QPR 3 Barnsley 1

QPR Team that day:

Roberts|
Brevitt Ready McDonald Graham
Brazier Murray Peacock Sinclair
Hately Spencer
Subs: Dichio, Maddix, Impey

MATCH REPORT

Sunday Mirror, Jan 12, 1997 by JOHN GUBBA - Mirror-Spencer leaves Danny in a daze QPR 3 Barnsley 1

Honest boss Danny Wilson gallantly took defeat on the chin and admitted: "I've no qualms about losing - that was a cracking game."
Wilson's inspirational skipper Neil Redfearn broke the ice with a superb opener.
But Barnsley were undone by a magnificent hat-trick from super Scot John Spencer that left Wilson lamenting: "They're the best team we've played this season."
Wilson went on: "We matched them in the first half, but their equaliser just before half-time gave them a big lift.
"I've no complaints with the efforts of my players although we were possibly a bit too cavalier at times."

Wilson was more concerned with the injury to Steve Davis, who was stretchered off with a suspected broken leg 15 minutes from the end.
Davis was caught accidentally in a challenge by Rangers' match- winner Spencer, who confessed:
"That was my first-ever hat-trick, but all I could think about at the end was the injured player.
"I went straight to the Barnsley dressing room to ask how he was."
It was an unlucky end for Barnsley, who had looked a good bet to avenge their 3-1 defeat at Oakwell last September when they drew first blood in the 38th minute.
Redfearn curled home a sweet dead ball after Jovo Bosancic won a controversial free-kick and then persuaded referee Carl Finch to move the defensive wall back.
Barnsley looked like a side sitting in the top two of the First Division. But a classic Rangers move right on half-time took the wind out of their sails. Mirror

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:48 pm

April 3rd 1982, Highbury. For me, best day ever. I was right behind the goal, leaning on the wall when the ball fired in off Allen's knee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ28LYKBPGg
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:09 pm

Good result but all 3 of those subs should have started.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:49 am

trevsinclair85 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 am
0-2 down at home to Preston. Into injury time and we score 2 goals in a minute to rescue a point and all hell breaks loose! Amazing. Hugging strangers moment.
That was a great game. Under GiGi wasn’t it? :D
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

BetaCam
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by BetaCam » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:30 pm

So many great stories in this thread. Thanks!
I miss football.

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:00 pm

The crazy scenes at the Etihad when City became champions and we stayed up.
At 2-1 for us, the atmosphere from the City fans was becoming a bit intimidating. When they scored the winner and we heard that we were safe it was one big party and hug fest!
I've never been hugged more by opposition fans on the way home as that day!

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:29 pm

dm wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:17 pm
Just for fun, what have been your 'You had to be there' moments at football?

April 2010 away at Palace. At half time a Palace girl's team did a lap of honour in full kit. When they reached the away end one of the girls lifted her shirt to reveal a QPR shirt underneath. Oh, how we chortled!

The game finished 2-0 to QPR with Buzz scoring a screamer. Taarabt was in the team too.
...I remember I saw the video of that episode...not sure if it was on YouTube or somewhere else... :D

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Slightly more personal but it did affect quite a number of QPR fans... I used to travel to games with my brothers and take turns in driving. Our trip to Carrow Road started off on time and passed without incident but somewhere around Bury St. Edmunds my youngest brother, who had been out on the lash and finished it up with a dead dog kebab decided that releasing the malodorous gas building up inside him into the car for the rest of us to share was a good idea. Winding the windows down wasn't getting the job done so we were forced to pull over and wait it out for five minutes or so with the doors wide open. After a few threats as what to do if the urge came upon him again we set off and made it it the ground with no further incident, Once ensconced in the corner where away fans were herded we settled in for the football. I have no idea what the score was but the overriding memory of that day came sometime early in the first half. I first became aware of the smell of the sewers of Hell permeating the atmosphere just a few seconds before an area of approximately 12'-15' appeared all around my brother who was stood there with a shit eating grin on his face. I wouldn't have been shocked if the ref had stopped the game and cleared the pitch until the smell had gone. Nobody's guts should smell that bad and if you were one of those there that has a recollection of this happening, I can only apologise on his behalf. We also had to stop twice on the way back too to avoid any further discomfort. Definitely a "you had to be there" moment.
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.