All games cancelled till 4/4/20

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: All games cancelled till 4/4/20

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:29 pm
old pauline wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm
All football below semi-professional level has just been told by the FA to immediately abandon the 2019/20 season.
It has to be a consistent approach throughout the leagues. What happens at the bottom must happen at the top and visa-versa. It is the only way to ensure the integrity of the competition.

Dudley Sports who play in the West Midlands (Regional) League (Premier Division) - or level 10 of the football league pyramid, are connected through the league structure to Liverpool who sit at the top of the Premier League by virtue of the fact they play in the same league system. One may be at the very top, and one near the bottom of that structure, but none the less they are connected. It has to be the same rules for everyone.

Scrapping the entire 2019/20 season, while unpalatable for many is the only way to ensure consistency and therefore fairness for everyone - not just the few who stand to make a small fortune if the decisions go in their favour.
I can't see anything remotely "fair" about writing off a season when you're already 80% of the way through it. The clubs have made clear which way they want to go, and I think that's what will happen, even if the games end up being played behind closed doors.

I do agree that it should be consistent all the way through the pyramid. For example, Jersey Bulls and Vauxhall Motors had already mathematically secured promotion in their respective leagues, and will now lose out. I know everyone's hearts will go out to both clubs.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:17 pm

I do wonder if the FA have scrapped lower non league football leagues seasons thinking they'll be less likely taken to court by those clubs than the bigger clubs higher up.

What I don't understand is, should the rest of the leagues finish their seasons, what happens with promotion and relegation between leagues such as National League North and South, and those below them who've had their season scrapped?

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm

With cases still rising every day it seems unrealistic to expect any football until the autumn. Whichever system the authorities come up with there will be a lot of unhappy people. It's for the greater good to abandon the season.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:33 pm

I'd prefer to see the FA support the lower leagues in playing to a conclusion. The outstanding games mean a lot to the smaller clubs either financially or for their credibility/community value. I would have liked the FA to have said 'if there is a chance of finishing the leagues and Cups in 2020 then we must go down that road' and if the 2020/2021 season would be shortened to the teams playing each other once only on the season then so be it.

My own view is that the FA has taken the quickest way out and the one that will cause the most hardship to many of the small but important clubs.
Come on you Sooopa ........

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:39 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
old pauline wrote:
All football below semi-professional level has just been told by the FA to immediately abandon the 2019/20 season.
It has to be a consistent approach throughout the leagues. What happens at the bottom must happen at the top and visa-versa. It is the only way to ensure the integrity of the competition.

Dudley Sports who play in the West Midlands (Regional) League (Premier Division) - or level 10 of the football league pyramid, are connected through the league structure to Liverpool who sit at the top of the Premier League by virtue of the fact they play in the same league system. One may be at the very top, and one near the bottom of that structure, but none the less they are connected. It has to be the same rules for everyone.

Scrapping the entire 2019/20 season, while unpalatable for many is the only way to ensure consistency and therefore fairness for everyone - not just the few who stand to make a small fortune if the decisions go in their favour.
I can't see anything remotely "fair" about writing off a season when you're already 80% of the way through it. The clubs have made clear which way they want to go, and I think that's what will happen, even if the games end up being played behind closed doors.

I do agree that it should be consistent all the way through the pyramid. For example, Jersey Bulls and Vauxhall Motors had already mathematically secured promotion in their respective leagues, and will now lose out. I know everyone's hearts will go out to both clubs.

And that is the whole point. The lower levels of our league structure have had this decision imposed on them. My point is it would be unfair to let other teams within the same structure complete their season. To be fair and consistent (and fairness comes from consistency) - everyone from Dudley Sports to Liverpool gets to finish their season or nobody does.

With the decision already taken for the lower half of the league structure, that has to then be applied consistently across the board. As you have pointed out ... Jersey Bulls and Vauxhall Motors have already secured promotion, how is their situation any less deserving than Liverpool's. It is the principle that counts. In fact Liverpool have not yet mathematically secured the title, despite the odds being heavily in their favour. With nine games to go WBA and Leeds promotion is even less certain. We are not mathematically out of the running either.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 pm

Cue a class action lawsuit if the professionals are permitted to finish their seasons.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:05 pm

Another reason why the FA have acted too quickly
Come on you Sooopa ........

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:02 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
old pauline wrote:

Agreed. The vast vast majority of this season had been played in good faith and it should be finished. Next season can be shorter, and everybody starts with that it mind.

Warburton has said the season should finish even if it takes until the end of the year.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 1.html?amp

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:30 pm

Warburton is being quoted rather a lot in the media on this issue. He's an intelligent man with a clarity thought which often seems lacking in football. I hope those making the decisions take note of his proposals.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 pm

UEFA may take the decision away from the FA.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52079717

That's 13 weeks away - the next 5 are definitely off, leaving just 8 weeks to restart after that.

I still think scrapping the season is the most likely outcome. Soon thoughts will turn to next season, and dumping this one will give a clear run at the next one.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:38 am

What they could do, when the season re-starts is to scrap all cup tournaments including the CL et al for this season AND next. Then, tack the end of the old season onto the new one. The big question is when that can be be safely achieved.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:02 am

Montag wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:38 am
What they could do, when the season re-starts is to scrap all cup tournaments including the CL et al for this season AND next. Then, tack the end of the old season onto the new one. The big question is when that can be be safely achieved.
The trouble is no solution is straight forward. How will the transfer window work? For example - Palace offer £15,000,000 for Eze, and we take it. Eze says he wants to play in the premier league. However, Eze is our player until the end of the season, so still has 9 games to play for us. What if he gets injured? What if we storm the last 9 games and win promotion? What if Palace screw up their last 9 games and get relegated? With the season finished none of those issues exist - we will know if we are in with a shout of promotion, Palace will know if they are still a premier league club, Eze's fitness will be a known quantity. There has to be a break between the seasons (more delay). Apparently non-league teams are getting ready to mount a huge legal challenge if the upper half of the league structure is allowed to complete and they are not.

As I said - to be fair to all, it has to be the same for everyone. Either scrap the whole season (the easiest option from many points of view) or complete for ALL teams in the league pyramid - top to bottom.

To complicate things further, if some of the European leagues decide to void the 2019/20 season that will set a precedent, and UEFA will want a consistent approach. So, the decision may well be taken out of our hands.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:47 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:02 am
The trouble is no solution is straight forward. How will the transfer window work? For example - Palace offer £15,000,000 for Eze, and we take it. Eze says he wants to play in the premier league. However, Eze is our player until the end of the season, so still has 9 games to play for us. What if he gets injured? What if we storm the last 9 games and win promotion? What if Palace screw up their last 9 games and get relegated? With the season finished none of those issues exist - we will know if we are in with a shout of promotion, Palace will know if they are still a premier league club, Eze's fitness will be a known quantity. There has to be a break between the seasons (more delay). Apparently non-league teams are getting ready to mount a huge legal challenge if the upper half of the league structure is allowed to complete and they are not.

As I said - to be fair to all, it has to be the same for everyone. Either scrap the whole season (the easiest option from many points of view) or complete for ALL teams in the league pyramid - top to bottom.

To complicate things further, if some of the European leagues decide to void the 2019/20 season that will set a precedent, and UEFA will want a consistent approach. So, the decision may well be taken out of our hands.
If the season is played out, everything would have to be shifted back to accommodate that including all player's contracts extended, the transfer window and a break in-between seasons. As has already been suggested the following season would be truncated so changes would have to be made particularly with Euro2020 postponed to the end of season 2021.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:17 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 pm

That's 13 weeks away - the next 5 are definitely off, leaving just 8 weeks to restart after that.

I still think scrapping the season is the most likely outcome. Soon thoughts will turn to next season, and dumping this one will give a clear run at the next one.
I don't think Uefa is being realistic here. it's like when I see people expecting a Christmas World Series. I'd say an Autumn start is the very earliest we can expect.
Playing behind closed doors is a bit of a red herring, I think, because the problem posed by COVID-19 in football crowds is probably less than the practical one it poses for teams. If one player or coach or other staff get it, the whole team will have to go into quarantine. They won't be able to train, let alone play. If this happens with any regularity, the whole thing will become a farce. So the virus really needs to be well under control before the season can restart.
It will hurt in the pocket but I am pretty sure one of this season or next season will have to be written off, and I think it's more sensible to write off next season, maybe keeping the domestic cups and/or running some special one-off tournament.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:22 am

jimjams wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:17 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 pm

I don't think Uefa is being realistic here. it's like when I see people expecting a Christmas World Series. I'd say an Autumn start is the very earliest we can expect.
Playing behind closed doors is a bit of a red herring, I think, because the problem posed by COVID-19 in football crowds is probably less than the practical one it poses for teams. If one player or coach or other staff get it, the whole team will have to go into quarantine. They won't be able to train, let alone play. If this happens with any regularity, the whole thing will become a farce. So the virus really needs to be well under control before the season can restart.
It will hurt in the pocket but I am pretty sure one of this season or next season will have to be written off, and I think it's more sensible to write off next season, maybe keeping the domestic cups and/or running some special one-off tournament.
A series of regional leagues (London for example) - it cuts down on travel, and creates lots of local interest. A good way to get back into the swing.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.