All games cancelled till 4/4/20

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: All games cancelled till 4/4/20

Post by dm » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:05 am

There are some decisions being made at Fifa.

Summer transfer window set to move & player contracts ending 30 June set to be extended: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52188913

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:34 am

Lee Hoos seems pretty downbeat about the return of football: https://talksport.com/football/efl/6957 ... 19-crisis/

I think most would agree with him that the game needs a complete reboot. A deep global recession/depression could well ensure that happens but many club's survival would also be at stake. Perhaps we'll all have to do an AFC Wimbledon?

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:36 am

A bleak assessment alright. He mentions people not being able to afford football in the straitened times ahead but additionally many folk, old ones like me and people in less than perfect health will not want the risk of infection involved in attending matches. Our only hope is of course the vaccine. Some reports say we could have this by the autumn, some say the end of 2021.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 am

Something people don't mention much is that this is going to be a global recession. It's not just that the clubs will lose money, their owners might go broke too, completely separate to football finance itself.
If you look where some of these owners are (oil, steel, aviation :? ) its not a great. Some of the shadier guys might see their fortunes disappear practically overnight.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:13 pm

jimjams wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 am
Something people don't mention much is that this is going to be a global recession. It's not just that the clubs will lose money, their owners might go broke too, completely separate to football finance itself.
If you look where some of these owners are (oil, steel, aviation :? ) its not a great. Some of the shadier guys might see their fortunes disappear practically overnight.
It might result in the huge money being removed from football.

Is that a bad thing?

At the end of the day If QPR ended up with a team of home grown players playing at the equivalent level but getting paid a much more realistic wage, is that a bad thing?

I get as much of a kick out of watching my old amateur team scoring a goal as I do QPR or NI.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:48 pm

If that is the case then TV money will become all the more important. The divide between the Premier and the EFL will become bigger and possibly there will be two tiers of football - global/commercial/corporate football and local community football. I've pretty much given up on the former already so I think the community element and the links with H & F will become more important. To be honest, I think the club have got it absolutely spot on the way they are heading.
Come on you Sooopa ........